Hiding cache accuracy

mikemaupin

Hey folks, when someone says that thier cache is hidden with lets say within 9 ft accuracy, dose that mean that the cache is within 9ft of the posted coords or do they try to use the coords as close as they can get them to the actual cache? (hope this makes some sort of sense) Thanks Mike

Ps BTW I finally got to go back out yesterday and found my first cache.

Their GPSr reported 9 ft accuracy when the coordinates were captured. The posted ones might be closer, but not further. Don't forget that the seeker may be another 9 or more feet off too. And unless a profecional machine is used to record the spot, none are "RIGHT".

The postion error as reported on most units is known as an EPE - estimated position error. Note the "estimated" part. It should be read something like the following "I think the coordintes I am reporting are maybe about within 9 foot of the actually coordinates - about 50% of the time given the current sat configuration and condtions".

In general - be prepared to search anywhere within 20-25 foot of where your unit says ground zero is. Sometimes more, sometimes less. No matter what the hider said his accuracy was at the time of placement.

The postion error as reported on most units is known as an EPE - estimated position error. Note the "estimated" part. It should be read something like the following "I think the coordintes I am reporting are maybe about within 9 foot of the actually coordinates - about 50% of the time given the current sat configuration and condtions".

In general - be prepared to search anywhere within 20-25 foot of where your unit says ground zero is. Sometimes more, sometimes less. No matter what the hider said his accuracy was at the time of placement.

[/quote

Thanks fellows, thats very helpfull. I have looked for a total of 3 caches and only found 1, didnt know if I was going to be able to do this or not but after finding the first one yesterday I like this a lot better. I dont know what happened on the other two but the coords were dead on a phone booth on one with nothing else around or anywhere to hide anything within 30 yards, is it very common to have a cache missing or not very common? Thanks Mike

Well done on getting that first cache, Mike :rolleyes:

(I went to have a look at your first log, but you don't seem to have logged the find yet)

Just a thought about the phone booth one - Did you check what size of cache you were searching for? If it's classed as "micro" then it could be just an itzy bitzy diddy nano one...

MrsB :rolleyes:

If there is nothing around that phone booth.........I'd look for a magnetic nano, about the size of a pencil eraser, that is painted the same color as the phone booth, probably disguised as one of the bolts holding the booth together, or hidden underneath where it's hard to see. Good luck with it! :rolleyes:

(I went to have a look at your first log, but you don't seem to have logged the find yet)

Just a thought about the phone booth one - Did you check what size of cache you were searching for? If it's classed as "micro" then it could be just an itzy bitzy diddy nano one...

[/

I didnt know where to log the find, we just signed the paper in the cache and when I got home I emailed the fellow that hid it and told him. I still dont know where to log a find.

[/

I didnt know where to log the find, we just signed the paper in the cache and when I got home I emailed the fellow that hid it and told him. I still dont know where to log a find.

Ps the two I didnt find were micro or small said I was looking for an Altoid Tin.

Ps the two I didnt find were micro or small said I was looking for an Altoid Tin.

When you find a geocache you sign the paper log in the cache, which is what you did. Then most geocachers also log their find on-line too which gives you a permanent record of your finds in your geocaching account.

To log your "Find" on-line you need to go back to the cache page of the cache that you found, then follow the instructions in the Pinned link at the top of this Forum - How do I log a cache that I searched for?

MrsB <_<

When you find a geocache you sign the paper log in the cache, which is what you did. Then most geocachers also log their find on-line too which gives you a permanent record of your finds in your geocaching account.

To log your "Find" on-line you need to go back to the cache page of the cache that you found, then follow the instructions in the Pinned link at the top of this Forum - How do I log a cache that I searched for?

MrsB <_<

Ok I logged it on line a coupla hours ago but it has still not showed in my account yet, thanks for the info.

MrsB <_<

Ok I logged it on line a coupla hours ago but it has still not showed in my account yet, thanks for the info.

Your found it log should have shown up immediately so I am thinking there may be a problem withyour log. Try going back to the cache online and checking to see if your log appears. It seems like something didn't quite go right and you will need to post your log again.

Your found it log should have shown up immediately so I am thinking there may be a problem withyour log. Try going back to the cache online and checking to see if your log appears. It seems like something didn't quite go right and you will need to post your log again.

[/quot

Ok got it this time and saw what I did wrong, thanks, Mike

Their GPSr reported 9 ft accuracy when the coordinates were captured. The posted ones might be closer, but not further. Don't forget that the seeker may be another 9 or more feet off too. And unless a profecional machine is used to record the spot, none are "RIGHT".

A word of thanks, When I first started this hobby I was all set to go out and buy an expensive off road GPS unit but this forum more or less said I did not need it. After reading post like the one above I changed my mind and agree. Seems that no matter what you get or what you spend within reason, its not going to improve acuracy much. Even if I was SPOT ON every time I could still be 10-20 ft off depending on the GPSrs unit and conditions. Since I am not going to be in the woods roaming around and over 50 yds from the car because of physical limitations what I have seems plenty good enough. So I still might get a cheaper Garmin to download caches with but in effect you all have saved me money. If I am off base here let me know, Thanks, Mike