Which GPS units for standalone paperless geocaching?

I'd like to go paperless without getting into a PDA and special software for it - just have the GPS unit itself. I'd like to be able to down load the results from a pocket query to the GPS, and then have access to the same info that used to be on the printed page... but right there on the GPS.

I think the Garmin Colorado does this, but what, if any, cheaper units do it?

and which do you recommend?

and why?

thanks, Dan

I'd like to go paperless without getting into a PDA and special software for it - just have the GPS unit itself. I'd like to be able to down load the results from a pocket query to the GPS, and then have access to the same info that used to be on the printed page... but right there on the GPS.

I think the Garmin Colorado does this, but what, if any, cheaper units do it?

and which do you recommend?

and why?

thanks, Dan

I can't reccomend it yet, but I ordered a Delorme Earthmate PN-20 today. It does paperless caching and has received really good reviews here and other GPS related sites. I paid $199 for a refurbed unit but you can get them new for $350 with a $50 rebate. Do some research and check it out.

You can paperless geocache with the Magellan Triton series.

The negatives I can point out with the Triton are you can't mark a cache as found and it takes a bunch of button presses to move on to the next cache. And the battery life is really bad.

The positives is that the Triton will give you everything you need for paperless geocaching except for the last 5 logs.

Paperless caching on the PN-20 is great as long as there are no imbedded pictures (none of the GPS's like these anyway) or the cache description isn't too long. I have found quite a few caches in the 10 days of owning the PN-20 and the cache descriptions were of great help but I have found some that get cut off (I think there is a limit on the description page on the PN-20). Delorme's site says 800 characters. Seems like it should be plenty for the majority of caches. It's a great option at $199.99 refurbished. I love mine!

Thanks for the suggestions.

How do you get pocket queries onto the Delorme Earthmate PN-20 or the Magellan? Doesn't the geocaching.com website say that transfer is only supported to the Garmins? How does transfer of pocket query output to the non-Garmin GPS units work?

Paperless caching on the PN-20 is great .............Delorme's site says 800 characters. Seems like it should be plenty for the majority of caches...............

For those few with more than 800 characters, I edit out some of the unnecessary description after downloading the GPX file to the bundled Topo USA 7.0 mapping and software application and before exporting the resultant Waypoint description to my PN-20.

To answer Locator100's question. I take my Pocket Queries (.gpx file that I receive once a week from Geocaching.com and import them into Topo 7.0 (included when you purchase a PN-20). Once in Topo 7.0 I hook my PN-20 up (USB cable) and do an data exchange from Topo 7.0 to the PN-20. If you import a .gpx file you will have the cache description and hint on the PN-20. Very nice for paperless caching. Once the cache or caches are found you can change the icon from closed treasure chest to open and easily delete them if you want. The whole process of getting the .gpx to putting them on the PN-20 is very quick and simple.

Doesn't the geocaching.com website say that transfer is only supported to the Garmins?

That's for the direct download from a geocache page into your GPS...only Garmins are set up for that at present. As noted above, gpx and loc files must be sent via Topo7...no big deal when doing them in bulk with a pocket query.