TOPO U.S. 24K & MicroSD Questions?

I got my copy of TOPO U.S. 24 K United States. I'm emphasizing it this way because of course all I really got was "Northwest" (which I knew about and is exactly what I want). What interests me and what I'm speculating on is the future. Of the entire packaging including the MicroSD (which is SanDisk btw) the only nomenclature indicating "Northwest" is the Garmin label on the DVD sized case spine. All other references specify the "United States". This leads me to think that as other 24K regions become available the exact same case will be used with added cutouts in the foam to include eventually the whole set. If they include foam cutouts on the inside front cover there would be room for up to 18 SDs maybe and the added foam would prevent SDs from slipping free inside the case with an additional piece of foam in-between.

This is where the speculation really comes into play... Maybe the price today includes the whole eventual set or at least the remaining MicroSD card prices would be for shipping and handling only and include a new case to hold the new MicroSD cards only? (You only need one SD adapter.) *Otherwise* the case title should drop "United States" only reference in favor of "Northwsest U.S." and each would come in their own case including a MicroSD adapter. I'd like the former. Otherwise paying well over $1K won't likely happen here.

SECOND Thought...

Even the MicroSD card has the means to be locked into place so it won't slide out accidentally but I was suprised to note that the SanDisk SD (hmmm...so that's what SD stands for) Adapter does not lock the MicroSD card. It slips in and out of the adapter with just a little finger pressure. Has anyone using MicroSDs in SD Adapters noticed the MicroSD backing out of the adapter through use and vibration, etc. It may be that the way the adapter is retained will always preclude this but it looks like the CO might not have enough positive retention of a MicroSD?

I'll be getting my new 400t sometime today. After verifying exactly how much free memory I have in the 400t I'll take a closer look at the SD Adapter and MicroSD retention.

Edited by Ratsneve

Just for clarification. Is the microSD imprinted with the name or P/N?

If not, and you buy a second region, how would you tell them apart?

Perhaps a few small photos.

Thanks

Interesting. The answer is no to both. The little clear plasic case for the SD Adapter has an identical Garmin label on it that is on the DVD-sized case spine. The Adapter itself only has identification on it pertaining to the Adapter only. The MicroSD clearly says only "SanDisk 2 GB MicroSD" and with a magnifying glass and the right lighting you can read in very small and not very contrasting font "0806402885D00" and of course "Made in China".

I have to modify my speculation slightly that Garmin intends us to keep these little MicroSD cards in their respective SD Adapters and once a number of different areas are out we must devise our own way to keep the little plastic case that says "Northwest" or "West" or whatever the region used is associated with what is installed in the GPSr. Otherwise...chaos. I think some owner or Garmin method might need to be found to label the MicroSD and/or the SD Adapter with "NW" or "W" in a very visible fashion.

Edited by Ratsneve

Let us know what the quality of the maps are compared to topo 2008. I plan on vacationing in oregon in a few weeks and was thinking of getting the washington/oregon set. I hope their next set includes Idaho after the vegas and california set is done.

As for the pricing deal, I am not sure how they are going to eventually work it but the way its looking its going to be 99.00 for every 2 states which will get expensive. However I am thinking they might run multi-set once their done for a little less. Like West Coast / Central/ Moutain / Eastern sets.

Edited by storm180

Let us know what the quality of the maps are compared to topo 2008. I plan on vacationing in oregon in a few weeks and was thinking of getting the washington/oregon set. I hope their next set includes Idaho after the vegas and california set is done.

As for the pricing deal, I am not sure how they are going to eventually work it but the way its looking its going to be 99.00 for every 2 states which will get expensive. However I am thinking they might run multi-set once their done for a little less. Like West Coast / Central/ Moutain / Eastern sets.

So far, although I am hardly use to it yet, the map is hard to read--it needs a whole lot more backlight to brighten up the screen OR the color shades need to be lightened up a lot. I'm not saying that it is unsable--I'm just saying that unless you are in full sunlight it isn't easy. Full backlight and full interior light in my house still leaves steep contour regions too dark in my opinion at this early point in time.

I looked at the Properties of the TOPO 24K Northwest MicroSD on my PC and they read as follows:

Capacity is 2,030,927,872 bytes or 1.89 GB

Used is 1,560,576,000 bytes or 1.45 GB

Free is 470,351,872 bytes or 448 MB

At this point in time I don't believe this free space is usable. And as we know I could not transfer any of the MicroSD to MapSource.

I also determined that by whatever means might occur to make it happen the MicroSD card could move out from its slot in the SD Adapter ~ 3/32" with the CO compartment cover in place. It seems highly unlikely this would happen if the card is pushed all the way in and flush with the adapter--I just think it is strange that the adapter doesn't have any locking mechanism for the MicroSD card.

Edited by Ratsneve

I find the lack of a clear product ID unworthy of a professional company like Garmin. Tiny little Above the Timber ID's their microSD's.

"SanDisk 2 GB MicroSD"
Can you determine if 2GB is required, seems like overkill. This screen should say:

CardInfo.gif

I posted the information you asked for but I'm very curious how you got this particular display? Thanks.

This is where the speculation really comes into play... Maybe the price today includes the whole eventual set or at least the remaining MicroSD card prices would be for shipping and handling only and include a new case to hold the new MicroSD cards only?

TOPO U.S. 2008 comes on 11 of these cards. As they are sold per region, I would expect the 24k set to follow suit.

Let us know what the quality of the maps are compared to topo 2008.

So far, although I am hardly use to it yet, the map is hard to read--it needs a whole lot more backlight to brighten up the screen OR the color shades need to be lightened up a lot. I'm not saying that it is unsable--I'm just saying that unless you are in full sunlight it isn't easy. Full backlight and full interior light in my house still leaves steep contour regions too dark in my opinion at this early point in time.

This is one of Garmin's screenshots, if the readability or lack thereof is representative of your experience, then I understand. I would consider this example to be unreadable, therefore worthless.

goto.jpg

This is one of Garmin's screenshots, if the readability or lack thereof is representative of your experience, then I understand. I would consider this example to be unreadable, therefore worthless.

It is very much like this... But I'll tell you for certain that backlighting makes all the difference in the world. And if you can plug into 5 V via USB or cig lighter that backlighting will make all the difference in the world too. IMO backlighting is the whole issue on reading these maps.

ALSO, very important discovery from Garmin tech support to me... If you have both City Navigator and TOPO 24K turned on they will conflict--you will loose contour and detail information. Turn City Navigator off and TOPO 24K on and your contour and detail icons return... One problem down--276 (arbitrary number) other CO problems to go.

Edited by Ratsneve
IMO backlighting is the whole issue on reading these maps.
Since backlighting is inversely proportional to battery life, maybe not the best solution.

May I suggest a test. Above the Timber make a set of 24K Washington Topos, perhaps you'd download the free trial and compare them to the same area on your Garmin NW region Topos? Please post a A-B screenshot if you can.

I have Above the Timber's Colo Topos in my GPS, they work very well.

IMO backlighting is the whole issue on reading these maps.
Since backlighting is inversely proportional to battery life, maybe not the best solution.

May I suggest a test. Above the Timber make a set of 24K Washington Topos, perhaps you'd download the free trial and compare them to the same area on your Garmin NW region Topos? Please post a A-B screenshot if you can.

I have Above the Timber's Colo Topos in my GPS, they work very well.

My best solution posted is to add an external 5+ V battery pack. If you want to read the TOPO 24K you have to use as much backlighting as possible or be in sunlight at the right sun angle. To maximize backlighting you need 5 V... The 2.4 V internal battery supply is barely adequate to inadequate for the TOPO 24K. This doesn't have anything to do with type of battery used or capacity. It is a voltage issue.

I suspect that the Oregon line is going to suffer from these same problems.

Edited by Ratsneve
My best solution posted is to add an external 5+ V battery pack. If you want to read the TOPO 24K you have to use as much backlighting as possible or be in sunlight at the right sun angle. To maximize backlighting you need 5 V... The 2.4 V internal battery supply is barely adequate to inadequate for the TOPO 24K. This doesn't have anything to do with type of battery used or capacity. It is a voltage issue.

I suspect that the Oregon line is going to suffer from these same problems.

I would agree, that's why a got a Nuvi which has twice the display size at half the cost. A 4-AA battery pack can be used to re-charge the internal Li-Ion which runs natively at ~3.6 V.

Unlike my Venture Cx which is excellent with no backlight, the Nuvi is unreadable at 0%. 20% on the Nuvi is the lower useful limit. While 100% either via USB or battery is stunning.

The Nuvi is rated at 4-hours, I wonder what backlight setting was used?

Are these maps locked to their respective microSD cards? Or do the maps work if copied to another microSD card or loaded into Mapsource and "merged" with other maps?

I don't relish the idea or having to pop out my card with street maps on it in the field to swap with a topo card. You drop a microsd out in the grass and it's gone, and at $100 each, that's too much money to lose if ya can't make a backup.

Are these maps locked to their respective microSD cards? Or do the maps work if copied to another microSD card or loaded into Mapsource and "merged" with other maps?

The new TOPO 24K U.S. based around the 7.5' TOPO series is "locked" in the MicroSD card--at least the Northwest card is and there is no announcement that the series will be released any other way. That is one reason why I went a little (lot) overboard with free memory and got the Colorado 400t to maximize the undocumented free memory. But it may never all need to be used or even get close to all used.

You mentioned merging. I don't think that will work well with this TOPO... I have turned on City Navigator (2009 update just for Oregon) and TOPO 24K U.S. Northwest at the same time on my CO and loose all the TOPO contours, trails, etc. As soon as I turn City Navigator off in the CO all the TOPO contour data returns.

Edited by Ratsneve

Duplicate

Here's a set of free Oregon 24K Garmin-compatible maps you can download: http://www.aracnet.com/~seagull/ORTopo/index.html. They only cover the Portland metro area and part of the north coast, but they'll give you an idea of whether the added contour resolution is worth it. I've tried them, and have generally found that the 100K resolution of US Topo is adequate for hiking, and makes for a less cluttered screen.

I've tried them, and have generally found that the 100K resolution of US Topo is adequate for hiking, and makes for a less cluttered screen.

I tend to agree, in most cases. What I'm anticipating is if the 24K contains more trails. The 10K topo map is very disappointing on this.