what do I do if

luvmyfam444

If they haven't dropped it into another cache yet grab it back from them. Then post a note on the cache you placed it in and drop the bug. (Or along with your Found it log if you haven't done that yet).

Then send that person a note saying they can do the retrieve since you have fixed the logging.

Let me know if they did drop it already and I can give you some instructions on how to fix that.

Edited by BlueDeuce

If they haven't dropped it into another cache yet grab it back from them. Then post a note on the cache you placed it in and drop the bug. (Or along with your Found it log if you haven't done that yet).

Then send that person a note saying they can do the retrieve since you have fixed the logging.

Let me know if they did drop it already and I can give you some instructions on how to fix that.

Ok I've completely screwed it up now! I deleted my posts trying to get it all right & I think I've made it worse! It was grabbed but NOT dropped yet So I grabbed it back & then went to the trackable site to drop it & it didn't give me the option to drop it anywhere - so I deleted it thinking I just clicked on the wrong option so now I've screwed it up!

It's the A Thousand Words TB...

Ok I've completely screwed it up now! I deleted my posts trying to get it all right & I think I've made it worse! It was grabbed but NOT dropped yet So I grabbed it back & then went to the trackable site to drop it & it didn't give me the option to drop it anywhere - so I deleted it thinking I just clicked on the wrong option so now I've screwed it up!

Once you grab it back, you have to go the CACHE page to drop it (use a Note), not the trackable's page. You probably did not make it worse.

After you drop it (via a note on the cache page), you can delete the note, and the trackable will still show as being there.

Being a high-volume cacher, I've seen lots of different behaviors.

Here's an interesting thought....

Most cachers don't log travelbugs anymore. :D

This is because of all the controversy surrounding them. :D

If you log the travelbug out, and don't move it along quickly, you will get emails complaining about it.

So...most cachers will just log the travelbug IN the cache they drop it in.

If someone grabs the travelbug OUT of that cache, then they just forget the whole thing.

So I would have suggested you just let it go. :huh:

You big silly, where did I say delete a log? :D

I checked the bug and it looks to be in your hands. So as UncleJimbo siad post a note on the cache you placed the bug in and drop it.

Most cachers don't log travelbugs anymore. B)

This is because of all the controversy surrounding them. :)

If you log the travelbug out, and don't move it along quickly, you will get emails complaining about it.

If someone grabs the travelbug OUT of that cache, then they just forget the whole thing.

Where do you get that idea? :(

If a cacher is worried so much about 'controversy' that he/she won't log a TB out, then why pick them up at all? I know cachers who have given up on moving travelers, but I have never heard of anyone doing what you describe. :D

Being a high-volume cacher, I've seen lots of different behaviors.

Here's an interesting thought....

Most cachers don't log travelbugs anymore. :)

This is because of all the controversy surrounding them. :(

So I would have suggested you just let it go. :D

Oh. That is SO sad. Defeats the entire purpose of Travel Bugs that someone would think like that. Have a few inconsiderate geocachers spoilt the fun for all?

Common courtesy! Allow the bug dropped the time to drop the bug. THEN pick it up.

Blue deuce, I did that once. The "Me First and Only" bug-napper actually sent us a nasty e-mail, did not pick the bug up again, and dropped it off, without logging it, a thousand miles and two weeks later. I had to follow her movements to get it into the right cache.

Common courtesy is not so common.

Most cachers don't log travelbugs anymore. :D

This is because of all the controversy surrounding them. :D

Where do you get that idea? :D

If a cacher is worried so much about 'controversy' that he/she won't log a TB out, then why pick them up at all? I know cachers who have given up on moving travelers, but I have never heard of anyone doing what you describe. :D

OK,....then most cachers I know (and I know hundreds), most of the time. Never say always. :ph34r:

In the cities there are thousands of travelers moving from cache to cache.

In Southern California, we have to rescue travelbugs just to get them out of southern California (we say it's Hotel California....they can enter but never leave). Bugs just bounce from cache to cache locally, and never...yes, I said NEVER leave. :P

OK,....then most cachers I know (and I know hundreds), most of the time. Never say always. :ph34r:

In the cities there are thousands of travelers moving from cache to cache.

In Southern California, we have to rescue travelbugs just to get them out of southern California (we say it's Hotel California....they can enter but never leave). Bugs just bounce from cache to cache locally, and never...yes, I said NEVER leave. :P

The ventura_kids know me and I always log travel bugs in and out of caches as soon as I can. Sometimes I hold on to TBs longer than I should but that's because I go caching with the ventura_kids and all we find are urban micros with no room for TBs; or if we find something big enough for a TB, they won't let me stay long enough to make a trade. "Time to go to the next cache".

There have been a couple of times when someone has grabbed a TB from my inventory before I could log that I dropped it. I just let it be.

The VKs may be right that most cachers in southern California don't log TBs since I find a lot that aren't logged into the cache where I found them. I also agree that often TBs will get to California and then get stuck here. This is especially true for TBs with a goal to be moved to a cache further west. :D

We don't bother logging travelbugs out of caches... :lol:

We are in such a hurry, that we just toss them in the back of the jeep on the floor. :D

Usually a week or so after we get home, we clean out the back of the jeep and then head to the car wash.

We did lose a digital fish to the carwash vacuum :D , but we let the owner know.

We log all the travelbugs into the cache we drop them in....unless someone logs them out before we get a chance.

Ok - noob question I guess -- How do you log them in without logging them out and thus getting them into your inventory in the first place?

I have had one of my bugs appear without being logged out of its originating cache, without being logged into the new cache, and no log on either cache. It was finally grabbed, and a quick e-mail to the finder resulted in a quick drop into the cache in which he found it (to log the correct path and miles) and a quick pull. No problems.

The few times I've grabbed a TB that was not in the cache, one of two things happened: 1) after a few days it got logged, or 2) an e-mail to the one listed as holding it found the former holder just forgot. And they have always wanted me to just grab it (as they don't remember which cache it was in, etc.).

So in the latter case I'd just grab it, drop it, and pull it to log path and miles correctly.

But from the posts here, I may be one of the few....

Edited by cachestacker

Ok - noob question I guess -- How do you log them in without logging them out and thus getting them into your inventory in the first place?

Not without deleting logs which would still generate an email when they were made.

If I knew which bug it might provide me a clue.

Even though they picked it up on the 13th they may have dropped it the same day you found it. Give them a few days to do the logging. Maybe later send them a reminder email.

If after that time nothing happens go ahead and Grab the bug away. Make sure to post a note on the cache you found it and and then retrieve it back out. That way the bug gets credit for being there.

we found a travel bug today - somone grabbed in Illinois on July 13 - I found it in NH today, but when I got home to log it, it wasn't listed in the inventory. what should I do?

Think I know that bug! Last listed in a cache in Minnesota 5/23:

wierd coin. i will be taking it to iowa.[?quote]

Next log 5/30

Grabbed this one from On a Rock Cache in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Will be heading to East coast soon.
Except that it was a 'discovered' rather than a 'grabbed'.

We pick it up in New Hampshire on 6/8, and waited for someone to log it into the cache. (Giveaway should have been that it was 'discovered' rather than 'retrieved'.) And we waited. And forgot that we had it. :ph34r: Grabbed it, logged it into the cache in New Hampshire, picked it up, and logged it into a cache in New York on 7/26. (Okay. It wasn't logged into Maine or New Jersey. Oh, well.) It wanted to go into a 'hard' cache, and that's where we put it! (Only 33 waypoints! Hee hee hee.)

Despite what some people may think, I'm a compassionate dolphin. :unsure: Always give the previous retriever the chance to log the bug into the cache. (Even if it takes a month!) And I expect the same.