Need help with exporting PQs

SalleeM

Hi all,

I'm brand new and trying to go paperless right off the bat.

My first problem is exporting the info I need. I can run a Pocket Query and I can get it to go to GSAK but when I check multiple boxes and click Download Waypoints, only the basics come through. It leaves all the difficulty and terrain ratings as 1/1, doesn't send the container type, etc. I have the format set as GPX. I can get all the info to GSAK if I export them one by one with the GPX eXchange file button on the individual listing pages but that takes too long to do each one! What am I doing wrong?

Next I am trying to set up my PDA. It runs on Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC. What program is best and how do I get the info to it?

That's it for now but I'm sure there will be more!

Thanks,

Sally

I can get the waypoints to the GPS (etrex Legend) no problem. I can't get all the other info from a Pocket Query to the GSAK program except one by one. I'm looking for how to move all the info from all the listings to GSAK at one time.

Thanks,

Sally

I have a Garmin 60Csx. I created a pocked query, obtained a gpx file. I have having trouble downloading the waypoints to my Barmn 60Csx. Although the download says it's successful, there are no geocaches in my list. I also wondered if there is a way of downloading the geocaches by waypoint code rather than by waypoint name?

I can get the waypoints to the GPS (etrex Legend) no problem. I can't get all the other info from a Pocket Query to the GSAK program except one by one. I'm looking for how to move all the info from all the listings to GSAK at one time.

Thanks,

Sally

Are you by chance checking the caches on the preview and then downloading those? If so your downloading .LOC files that only have the co-ordinate information. The Pocket Query is emailed to you and you need to detach and load the resulting .zip file into GSAK for all the other information.

Jim

I have a Garmin 60Csx. I created a pocked query, obtained a gpx file. I have having trouble downloading the waypoints to my Barmn 60Csx. Although the download says it's successful, there are no geocaches in my list. I also wondered if there is a way of downloading the geocaches by waypoint code rather than by waypoint name?

First off you can't load the gpx file directly into your 60CSX. You need a program like EasyGPS or GSAK (not sure but I think Waypoint manager also reads .gpx files) that is used to load the .gpx file. From one of these programs you then load the waypoints into the Garmin.

If your doing this, then the next question is how far away are the caches? Using display nearest the 60CSx will only display 50 caches or the ones within 100 miles. When the cache list is displayed, switch the display to display by name then all the caches will be displayed.

Jim

Thanks,

Sally

When you set up your Pocket Query leave the box checked which indicates the waypoints will be in zipfile format. GSAK is smart enough to read zipfiles and extract the gpx files from it. Once you get the email message with the PQ, just save it to a folder on your system (rename it to something like "NotYetFound.zip".

Then open up GSAK, select a database (i.e. NotYetFound), then using the File/Import drop down menu, and select the zipfile that you saved. Note that you can also unzip the file and view the GPX files directly. They're plain text files in XML format so you can open them up with any plain text editor (Notepad/Wordpad).

Then connect your GPS and select the GPS/Send Waypoints drop down menu and it will send all the entries in the GSAK database to your GPS. If things don't look right check the GPS/Setup menu item to make sure that the GPS Brand is setup correctly. You can also customize how the waypoint appears from the "Send Waypoints" screen by changing the Waypoint Description Format. I use the following codes:

%code %typ1 %con1 (%Dif/%Ter)

That will display the Waypoint code, cache type, container size, and the difficulty and terrain ratings.

Good luck.

Thanks to all of you

Jim has nailed it on the head! I am using the preview to load. I'm still working on getting them to actually show up in my email but I think I've got that fixed too. I will use the emailed results from now on. Then I can use NYPaddleCacher's instructions!

Sally

Here is a little GSAK tutorial that might be helpful. :D I use a different "smart name" code for the Waypoint so I get the name of the cache:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=8 %hint

Since I have an 'x' GPS like you do, I use Garmin's POI Loader to get even more information in the POIs. For those, I use the same Waypoint code adding %By at the end so I get the Cache Owner's name. For the Cache Description, I use this code: %Hint %Code That gives me the GC code, should I need it depending on who I am caching with.

First off you can't load the gpx file directly into your 60CSX. You need a program like EasyGPS or GSAK (not sure but I think Waypoint manager also reads .gpx files) that is used to load the .gpx file. From one of these programs you then load the waypoints into the Garmin.

If your doing this, then the next question is how far away are the caches? Using display nearest the 60CSx will only display 50 caches or the ones within 100 miles. When the cache list is displayed, switch the display to display by name then all the caches will be displayed.

Jim

AMEN Jim....I found that out the hard way! Spent hours trying to figure out why the caches for a planned trip down South didn't show up in my Geocache menu. It wasn't until I single loaded a local cache (which worked fine) and saw the little caption that read: "Geocaches near your current location". You live and learn (but swear a lot along the way!).

Wish I would have read this little forum before all that!