SD Memory Card

she_wolf

I have a slot for it. What is it, what would I use it for?

I have been able to load all my waypoints so far, so is it if I wanted a zillion waypoints - which I would never want anyways, since the GPS doesn't have a search feature...

I do have the US Topo Map, would it be used for this?

If that is a yes, how do I use that? Would that come up as an additional map when I am hunting for a cache? I don't want the entire US coming up when I am looking for one close by or even 100+mi away from home. I only want the topos associated with the cache I am hunting.

If I should get one, any suggestions on brand, size etc.

I have a Garmin HCX Vista.

Thanks for the info!

I have been able to load all my waypoints so far, so is it if I wanted a zillion waypoints - which I would never want anyways, since the GPS doesn't have a search feature...

If that is a yes, how do I use that? Would that come up as an additional map when I am hunting for a cache? I don't want the entire US coming up when I am looking for one close by or even 100+mi away from home. I only want the topos associated with the cache I am hunting.

Thanks for the info!

As you noticed the waypoints are stored in internal memory. They are only stored in internal memory and there is a definite limit. If you want to have more than the allowed 500 or 1000 points then they would have to be stored as Points Of Interest (POI) in the SD Card. Besides the POIs, the SD card is used to store maps (TOPO and City Navigator) and tracklogs. With the TOPO maps you select the area you want to include on your GPS unit and outside of this area it defaults to the installed base map. For details on how to do this Garmin has a good tutorial. As for size, might as well get a 2GB since it is not much more than a 1GB.As for brand most any you would get at Wally World or one of the online dealers would be fine.

Jim

Thanks for the info!

I use it to keep more maps on my gps. It's true that you probably don't need the topomap for the entire country, but say you're having a road trip through several states, you may want to keep the maps of more than one region on your gps. Also, if you want multiple types of maps (i.e. citinav and topo) - you could switch between them on your gps (at least with my gpsmap 60csx, you can).

Since SD cards are cheap (I got a 2 gb for around $10), you might as well use it.

Thanks for the info!

I use it to keep more maps on my gps. It's true that you probably don't need the topomap for the entire country, but say you're having a road trip through several states, you may want to keep the maps of more than one region on your gps. Also, if you want multiple types of maps (i.e. citinav and topo) - you could switch between them on your gps (at least with my gpsmap 60csx, you can).

Since SD cards are cheap (I got a 2 gb for around $10), you might as well use it.

Since micro-SD cards are getting so cheap it's worth getting 2-3 of them. I have the US Topo maps and have most of the state of New York on my "everyday" SD card. I have another card which I'll load maps when I am traveling. If I ever got the City Navigator maps I might want to have a separate card for those while I'm traveling.

I got a 2gig card from Newegg for $14 shipped and I recently got the City NavigatorNT 2009 and I just transferred the whole US region and it took only 920 megs of space. I thought that was pretty slick now to fill up the rest of the space with waypoints and maps. :D