Price comparison

Help! I'm shopping for a new GPS. I've been waivering between the 60 csx and the Vista Hcx. I've heard and read good and bad on both. My question is this...Do I need to buy the maps immediately for either unit? Would either unit do just fine without ever adding the extra maps? I'm a little confused about this whole issue. Any help would be appreciated. I want to keep the cost down, so if the maps are necessary, I need to make sure I've taken that into consideration.

Thanks!

Edited by TMDMom

In my opinion, having a GPS w/o maps defeats the whole purpose of owning a GPS. The maps give context to what is otherwise just a number.

However, if you're are simply geocaching and are just matching the cache coordinates to the GPS coordinates then maps are likely not necessary. In which case, why spend so much on a color mapping GPS when a $100 eTrex H will provide the same coordinates?

SO, just what/how are you going to use this new eToy?

Edited by MtnHermit

If you want to use all the features of your gps (either unit you mention) you will eventually want to add maps.

They both come with a very basic map set that will get you around and get you to the cache. When you want to unleased the full power of the autonavigation, you will need city maps. If you spend a lot of time wayyy out in the boonies or in places with lots of small stream and ponds, you may want to comsider topo maps, too. Either unit willhold both types of maps at once (you toggle between them).

But the unit itself will get you to the cache--once you get in the general area--and that is what the maps help you accomplish. So you can get started now and add the maps later if that works better for your budget.

I went on and ordered topo 2008 and the Vista Hcx. I really was torn b/w the 60 and the vista. So after reading numerous posts all over this forum about both units, I decided on the slightly less expensive model.

I'm excited and I should have it on Monday. Thanks for all your input!

I went on and ordered topo 2008 and the Vista Hcx. I really was torn b/w the 60 and the vista. So after reading numerous posts all over this forum about both units, I decided on the slightly less expensive model.

Hi, Girl!

I've been more or less checking this forum because I wanted an "outdoor" GPS before I kill my precious Jonesy by getting water or dirt inside him. (I've already got his power button out of order, and I've got to return him for an exchange as soon as we get home. He's such a city boy, but a good one.)

I had posted some questions here, and the gist of the replies I got was that the maps aren't necessary for caching (unless you need the topos for the trail), but are if you want it for use in the car for navigating while driving. As I have Jonesy for that, I decided I could do without any extra maps for my caching guy. I ordered the little eTrex Venture HC. The Jazz said she had that exact model and actually liked it better than her newer 60csx, so that made me feel good about that series of GPSr's. The new eTrex's with "H" in their names have the good receiver that gets excellent reviews. Your Vista HCx would be the super model of those, so from what I've read, good choice! (I've never actually touched an eTrex of any kind, but mine should be here by Monday.) I'm just passing on the results of my forum questions, just FYI. I can't add maps with the Venture HC. But it's only $117 at amazon (more my speed for a second unit), and I have my buddy Jonesy with his maps to get me across town. LOL

Now---we'll have to go caching soon to try these little babies out!! Hope you like your new unit, and I hope I can figure out how to use mine.

Happy 4th; we head home tomorrow!

Hi, Girl!

I've been more or less checking this forum because I wanted an "outdoor" GPS before I kill my precious Jonesy by getting water or dirt inside him. (I've already got his power button out of order, and I've got to return him for an exchange as soon as we get home. He's such a city boy, but a good one.)

I had posted some questions here, and the gist of the replies I got was that the maps aren't necessary for caching (unless you need the topos for the trail), but are if you want it for use in the car for navigating while driving. As I have Jonesy for that, I decided I could do without any extra maps for my caching guy. I ordered the little eTrex Venture HC. The Jazz said she had that exact model and actually liked it better than her newer 60csx, so that made me feel good about that series of GPSr's. The new eTrex's with "H" in their names have the good receiver that gets excellent reviews. Your Vista HCx would be the super model of those, so from what I've read, good choice! (I've never actually touched an eTrex of any kind, but mine should be here by Monday.) I'm just passing on the results of my forum questions, just FYI. I can't add maps with the Venture HC. But it's only $117 at amazon (more my speed for a second unit), and I have my buddy Jonesy with his maps to get me across town. LOL

Now---we'll have to go caching soon to try these little babies out!! Hope you like your new unit, and I hope I can figure out how to use mine.

Happy 4th; we head home tomorrow!

Well, I guess I should clarify for others who read these forums: my Venture HC doesn't have a card slot; I can add whatever its built-in memory of 24 mb will hold. Can't wait to get it!

have a safe trip home! Next Girls Night Out Caching should be a breeze with two new high sensitivity GPSr's! I decided to go ahead and get the Topo maps because in my experience I'm usually better off to go ahead and plan on getting what I want (when I'm ready to make the purchase) instead of making do, then trying to upgrade later, because for some reason I never seem to make the upgrade. Then I'd end up getting a new gps in two years instead of upgrading. That's my prediction, anyway. So I bit the bullet, spent the $$ and got the whole bundle. The 60 is even more spendy than the Vista, so it was easier for me to get the Vista + topo right now.

have a safe trip home! Next Girls Night Out Caching should be a breeze with two new high sensitivity GPSr's! I decided to go ahead and get the Topo maps because in my experience I'm usually better off to go ahead and plan on getting what I want (when I'm ready to make the purchase) instead of making do, then trying to upgrade later, because for some reason I never seem to make the upgrade. Then I'd end up getting a new gps in two years instead of upgrading. That's my prediction, anyway. So I bit the bullet, spent the $$ and got the whole bundle. The 60 is even more spendy than the Vista, so it was easier for me to get the Vista + topo right now.

I bet you'll enjoy that new Vista! I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with the MapSource CD. I installed it, but now ??? Am I supposed to transfer anything to that 24 mb??

My little Blondie or whatever her name turns out to be is so-o-o different from my Jonesy--but I'll get there. Might be emailing you sometime soon for mini-lessons! Have fun with the Vista--

I bet you'll enjoy that new Vista! I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with the MapSource CD. I installed it, but now ??? Am I supposed to transfer anything to that 24 mb??

My little Blondie or whatever her name turns out to be is so-o-o different from my Jonesy--but I'll get there. Might be emailing you sometime soon for mini-lessons! Have fun with the Vista--

the mapsource cd is for when you have maps and stuff you can transfer all the goodness onto the gps. here is a free street map to use with mapsource and gps. http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa/IbycusUSA14.tgz . it is way better then the streets on the topo 2008. if you don't use maps,the mapsource you can still use for tracks,waypoints,..ect. :D ibycus made this,he's cool. :D oop's one is for mac i do belive and this is pc,lol sorry. http://www.ibycus.com/ibycususa

Edited by inomad