Taking a GPS kayaking?

I am thinking of getting "Garmin eTrex Venture HC High-Intensity Color Mapping Handheld GPS"; however I am wondering if it is safe for me to take that kayaking - I don't intend to drown with it but it might get wet and under unfortunate/unpredictable conditions maybe submerged.

Any suggestions? Also- think this is a good model? Seemed the best for the price in the research I did...

I am thinking of getting "Garmin eTrex Venture HC High-Intensity Color Mapping Handheld GPS"; however I am wondering if it is safe for me to take that kayaking - I don't intend to drown with it but it might get wet and under unfortunate/unpredictable conditions maybe submerged.

Any suggestions? Also- think this is a good model? Seemed the best for the price in the research I did...

I have a small padded dry bag with a clear front by Voyageur I brought three years ago at a local kayak shop. It measure about 8.5 by 4 inches.I clip it to the bungees in front of cockpit. Also check nrsweb .con for Aquapac.

Check Amazon out for the 76csx for about $250. It's my understanding that the 76csx floats.

Edited by PastorJon

One thing I've learning reading through this and other forums is not to assume that your GPS can survive submersion - even though its supposed to be able to. I put mine in an Aquapac just to be safe. Even a Ziploc freezer bag would be better than nothing at all.

The floating part isn't too important since it should be attached to "something" by a lanyard anyway.