Colorado 300 GPX files on unit or SD card?

Loaded GPX files onto the SD card, and when I was unable to view them on the Colorada GPS, I copied them to the Colorada, but am still unable to view them. 2 GPX files that were loaded directly onto the unit are viewable. How can I get the 60 that I just load and transferred to the unit viewable?

I am a premium member, can I load these files more then 1 at a time? and still get the cache description? and last logs?

For now, I really just want to get the 60 that I downloaded onto the SD card to work.

Thanks.

There is a bug on the Colorado that causes the Colorado to sometimes miss gpx files added to an SD card.

If you really want to use the SD card I would delete all of the gpx files in both internal memory and the SD card reboot, copy the files you want to the SD card and reboot.

The easiest thing to do is just use internal memory -- you should be able to load multiple files w/o any problems.

GO$Rs

From the Issues List:

6/11/08: If there are gpx files containing caches in internal memory and a gpx file containing caches on the SD card, changes to the gpx file (i.e. adding a new cache) on the SD card will be missed. An example is provided below (2.51) [Geocaching]

Yes you can load more than one file at a time, what folder did you put the .gpx files into? make sure they are in the folder [Drive letter]:\Garmin\GPX\

Thanks, will try moving everything off the card and internal memory, then back onto internal memory. Reason I was putting gpx files onto SD card, was I have had problems with the gps (turning it on) and had to load the original file back onto the gps. I wanted to be sure if I had to reload the original file again (and then the 2.51) that I would not lose all the gpx files. As it turns out, it may have just been easier to load everything onto the internal gps drive!

thanks again, as I had started to load them all again 1 at a time from geocache.com.

Yes you can load more than one file at a time, what folder did you put the .gpx files into? make sure they are in the folder [Drive letter]:\Garmin\GPX\

Thanks, will try moving everything off the card and internal memory, then back onto internal memory. Reason I was putting gpx files onto SD card, was I have had problems with the gps (turning it on) and had to load the original file back onto the gps. I wanted to be sure if I had to reload the original file again (and then the 2.51) that I would not lose all the gpx files. As it turns out, it may have just been easier to load everything onto the internal gps drive!

thanks again, as I had started to load them all again 1 at a time from geocache.com.

As a premium member, you should also consider using a pocket query instead of loading GPX files one at a time. It's a lot easier. Also, the Colorado has a limit (believed to be in the neighborhood of 128) on the number of individual GPX files. Since the PQ contains many caches, you also avoid running into this limit.

As a premium member, you should also consider using a pocket query instead of loading GPX files one at a time. It's a lot easier. Also, the Colorado has a limit (believed to be in the neighborhood of 128) on the number of individual GPX files. Since the PQ contains many caches, you also avoid running into this limit.

If I load PQ's will I retain the geocache description and latest logs? Will I have to us the complicated GSAK program? What setting would I use to get the description and latest logs? Thanks.

Deleted the gpx files on the internal memory, cut and pasted the gps files on the SD card to another folder on my harddrive. Copied and pasted the gpx files back onto the internal memory - "no matches found". Then deleted those that I was not able to see with the gps from the internal memory and loaded the SD card. Still "no matches found" when checking for caches on the gps.

I am still able to load them 1 at a time from the geocache site and view them on the gps.

Any other ideas to load these I have already downloaded onto the SD card (now in another folder on my harddrive) ?

I have found the route pocket queries page on geocache.com. I was sent 2 zip files. I unzipped them to the garmin unit under Garmin/GPX/Current. First tried the .gpx files then the .wpt gpx files, not sure which one went to the unit, but the only thing I got was Waypoints - no geocaches.

What folder are the geocaches suppose to go into?

Thanks,

Arlene.

What folder are the geocaches suppose to go into?

/garmin/gpx

No /current!

It didn't work. I took the SD card out of the GPS. Copied the gpx files from that into the GPX folder (not the "current" folder) and they are still not recognized.

Good thing I started this 4 days ahead of schedule!

Any other ideas - has anyone else tried copying gpx files from SD card to GPS internal?

thanks,

Arlene.

It sounds like these files were downloaded to the SD card using SendToGps? If so, then they are probably showing up on the Colorado as waypoints (vs. Geocaches) because of this bug with Communicator:

* 3/26/08: When using SendToGPS to send geocaches to the SD card of a Colorado the Groundspeak cache tags are stripped off so that the geocache does not show up as a Geocache on the Colorado, it shows up as a waypoint. The same cache sent to internal memory includes the Groundspeak extensions and does show up as a geocache.

You'll need to reload them into internal memory using SendToGPS in order for them to show up as Geocaches, copying them won't fix the problem.

GO$Rs

It sounds like these files were downloaded to the SD card using SendToGps? If so, then they are probably showing up on the Colorado as waypoints (vs. Geocaches) because of this bug with Communicator:

* 3/26/08: When using SendToGPS to send geocaches to the SD card of a Colorado the Groundspeak cache tags are stripped off so that the geocache does not show up as a Geocache on the Colorado, it shows up as a waypoint. The same cache sent to internal memory includes the Groundspeak extensions and does show up as a geocache.

You'll need to reload them into internal memory using SendToGPS in order for them to show up as Geocaches, copying them won't fix the problem.

GO$Rs

Yes they were sent initially to the SD card using SendToGps (1 at a time I might add!). And they are showing up as wayponts. (I thought it was due to the folder I was putting them in).

I now have pocket queries. Can they be loaded into the Colorado directly when I unzip them? Which file do I use the wpt or the gpx? Which folder would they go into to on the gps? What bug will be involved?????

Thanks.

I now have pocket queries. Can they be loaded into the Colorado directly when I unzip them? Which file do I use the wpt or the gpx? Which folder would they go into to on the gps? What bug will be involved?????

Thanks.

After you unzip a PQ both gpx files can be put in \Garmin\GPX in either the internal memory or the SD card, although there is a bug that in some cases causes gpx files not to be recognized on the SD card. If you are starting fresh, with no gpx files in internal memory or the SD card, you shouldn't see any problems.

The Data and File Transfer section of the FAQ has a lot of the basics although the bugs are covered over in the Issues List.

GO$Rs

After you unzip a PQ both gpx files can be put in \Garmin\GPX in either the internal memory or the SD card, although there is a bug that in some cases causes gpx files not to be recognized on the SD card. If you are starting fresh, with no gpx files in internal memory or the SD card, you shouldn't see any problems.

The Data and File Transfer section of the FAQ has a lot of the basics although the bugs are covered over in the Issues List.

GO$Rs

Which file would give me the geocaching descriptions and past logs?

GO$Rs

Which file would give me the geocaching descriptions and past logs?

It has finally worked!!! And I have more options "found, did not find, needs repair and unattempted". Did not have those with SendtoGPS.

Going to get the rest of the caches along the route. Will I have problems loading NEW gpx files with the ones I just loaded?

Thanks,

Arlene.

Assuming that you are loading these into internal memory or the SD card (not both) you shouldn't have any problems. The other issue arises when you change gpx files on the SD and already have gpx files in internal memory. If you stick with one or the other you should be able to add gpx files without any problems assuming you don't exceed the 127 file limit or the 2000 cache limit.

GO$Rs