GPX File help

Team LRS

Hi all

I have upgraded my account :ph34r: and am in need of a little help.

How do i download a bunch of cache locations in the GPX format ?.......or do i have to do it one by one ?

Sorry but i have tried to seach the answer and im sorry if this is asked alot.

Hi all

I have upgraded my account :ph34r: and am in need of a little help.

How do i download a bunch of cache locations in the GPX format ?.......or do i have to do it one by one ?

Sorry but i have tried to seach the answer and im sorry if this is asked alot.

The best way is to make a bookmark of those you want and then run a pocket query on the bookmark list.

You might also consider getting GSAK to organize caches on your computer and then using that to generate the gpx file you want.

me too! I have also upgraded and am now trying to get cache info onto my GPS which is a Garmin map60CSx. I can get the cache coordinates on there but not the extra info about the cache.

You will not be able to load a GPX file directly on a 60CSx. If you want to 'bulk load' caches on that unit you must use Garmins POI loader (free download) . Using this tool you can load caches from a GPX file to the 60CSx. They will however NOT show up under the Geocaching icon, but as 'Custom POI's'

Here is a tutorial on Pocket Queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Take the PQ GPX file and use a program like GSAK to upload the waypoints to your GPS unit. Then use a PDA and the file for paperless caching.

So you mean to say that there is a way to upload GPX files containing multiple caches with GSAK to a Garmin 60CSx?

Yes!!

But you can only get limited details from the GPX file. Maybe the hint and then sort of "code" in some other information. You are limited to (I think) 18 characters in the name field and something like 30 in the description. GSAK allows you to add info in the form of codes that look like %hint - check out the GSAk forums for complete info.

Here is a tutorial on Pocket Queries.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Take the PQ GPX file and use a program like GSAK to upload the waypoints to your GPS unit. Then use a PDA and the file for paperless caching.

So you mean to say that there is a way to upload GPX files containing multiple caches with GSAK to a Garmin 60CSx?

Yes!!

But you can only get limited details from the GPX file. Maybe the hint and then sort of "code" in some other information. You are limited to (I think) 18 characters in the name field and something like 30 in the description. GSAK allows you to add info in the form of codes that look like %hint - check out the GSAk forums for complete info.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. It will require some tailoring of the GSAK setup though, and 30 characters don't really go that far. Having the hint onboard could be usefull though. Might have to mess with it a bit to see how it works.

I set up my Pocket Queries for this "cache-rich" area by "Date Placed." That way I get a wider search circle. I open these PQs in GSAK and filter them accordingly for a "caching adventure." You can use the "smart name" codes in an infinite number of ways, but this is how I set mine up:

%smart=9 %con1%typ1%dif1%ter1

The information included is part of the Name, the Size of the container, the Type of cache (Traditional, Multi, Virtual, Puzzle), the Difficulty and Terrain (based on a 10-point scale). To get part of the hint, I use this code in the Waypoint Description blank of the "Send To GPS" dialogue box:

%Name=8 %hint

For the .gpx Export for "Custom POIs," I use the same Waypoint code, but for the Cache Description, I use this code: %By %Hint %Code

That gives me the cache owner's name, the hint, and if there are enough characters left, the GC code.