Temporarily disable?

One of my caches (Little Gunni #8; inserting link did not work) is high and dry in an area that is temporarily covered with shallow water due to minor river flooding. The cache could be reached with appropriate footwear but is best avoided until the area dries. I have noted this in red on the cache page. Question is, should I temporarily disable the cache to keep it out of pocket queries, etc., or just let it ride? I am guessing it will not be dry for about three weeks.

Edited by GunniGirl

One of my caches (Little Gunni #8; Click here) is high and dry in an area that is temporarily covered with shallow water due to minor river flooding. The cache could be reached with appropriate footwear but is best avoided until the area dries. I have noted this in red on the cache page. Question is, should I temporarily disable the cache to keep it out of pocket queries, etc., or just let it ride? I am guessing it will not be dry for about three weeks.

Fixed.

Either action works with the scenario as stated.

A scenario not mentioned:

I would venture to say whatever barriers the local authorities put to keep people from entering the area would trump a simple note and a temporary disablement would be in order.

One of my caches (Little Gunni #8; Click here) is high and dry in an area that is temporarily covered with shallow water due to minor river flooding. The cache could be reached with appropriate footwear but is best avoided until the area dries. I have noted this in red on the cache page. Question is, should I temporarily disable the cache to keep it out of pocket queries, etc., or just let it ride? I am guessing it will not be dry for about three weeks.

Fixed.

Either action works with the scenario as stated.

A scenario not mentioned:

I would venture to say whatever barriers the local authorities put to keep people from entering the area would trump a simple note and a temporary disablement would be in order.

Thanks for the url fix.

The barriers have been removed. Area is accessible but wet. I'm thinking I'll give it three weeks as is, then reconsider temporarily disabling.

One of my caches (Little Gunni #8; inserting link did not work) is high and dry in an area that is temporarily covered with shallow water due to minor river flooding....

Rain, Snow, Sleet, Hail are for the postman. We cachers also deal with floods, fires, ticks, chiggars, poison plans and snakes. A little flooding is nothing more than part of the challenge. Those not equipped will turn around and go home. Those equipped will find the cache. The cache is probably fine.

One of my caches (Little Gunni #8; inserting link did not work) is high and dry in an area that is temporarily covered with shallow water due to minor river flooding....

Rain, Snow, Sleet, Hail are for the postman. We cachers also deal with floods, fires, ticks, chiggars, poison plans and snakes. A little flooding is nothing more than part of the challenge. Those not equipped will turn around and go home. Those equipped will find the cache. The cache is probably fine.

I agree with you, but I think they need to be warned that it's wet now, although that isn't usually the case. This is a tourist area, and people coming from out of town without understanding this year's unusually high spring-runoff flooding are thinking I put a cache in a permanently wet place without saying so. Hence the note on the cache page.

Hi there,

I think the temporary disable is a good option for the next few weeks. Unless you are OK with getting a lot more logs like the last two DNFs. If you are going to keep it up and running I would add the wading attribute and consider upping the terrain - if it were my cache. But it's your decision in the end. I would feel unhappy about getting lots of DNFs on one of my caches because it was in a flooded area but you might not mind.

Annie

Leave it be, if its not under water and you are sure its still there, leave it alone.

If a cacher wants to give it a hunt, its their own risk.

You might consider temporarily raising the terrain difficulty, maybe even to a 5 if it requires a boat to access the location.

I'd definately go with bumping up the terrain rating until the land dries out. If it is just wet mushy ground it should probably be a 3.5, if it's ankle deep to knee deep a 4, deeper than that should be a 4.5. On top of that, add the wadding required attribute, or the swimming required attribute if it's more than waist deep.

I have one that requires a river crossing that I adjust the terrain rating seasonally because it requires some deep wading and/or swimming to get to and in the winter swimming isn't an option.

AK