Deleting Accounts

climbstuff

Can one have their own account deleted? (removing any evidence of it's existence...)

Is this possible?

I think this KB article answers your question http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...kbarticleid=253

Although usernames are technically never permanently deleted, Groundspeak can certainly disable your account. You will first want to verify the email address that's registered to your account by checking your profile page.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/details.aspx

If that email is no longer current, you may need to update your profile accordingly and validate it to make sure you can receive emails from geocaching.com.

Next, from the email address in your profile send Groundspeak a request (contact@geocaching.com) to disable your username. To expedite the process, please make sure you reference the username in question in the body of the email.

Please note that if you have an active PayPal Subscription, you may need to contact PayPal to cancel it.

Groundspeak will respond back to your email to confirm your request has been completed.

If not, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com and we can dig deeper.

Can one have their own account deleted? (removing any evidence of it's existence...)

Is this possible?

I think this KB article answers your question http://support.Groundspeak.com/Support/ind...kbarticleid=253

Although usernames are technically never permanently deleted, Groundspeak can certainly disable your account. You will first want to verify the email address that's registered to your account by checking your profile page.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/details.aspx

If that email is no longer current, you may need to update your profile accordingly and validate it to make sure you can receive emails from geocaching.com.

Next, from the email address in your profile send Groundspeak a request (contact@geocaching.com) to disable your username. To expedite the process, please make sure you reference the username in question in the body of the email.

Please note that if you have an active PayPal Subscription, you may need to contact PayPal to cancel it.

Groundspeak will respond back to your email to confirm your request has been completed.

If not, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com and we can dig deeper.

Thanks for your quick response! Follow-on questions: Will a disabled account still show up on cache page logs (and TB page logs) as having found those caches (if each log wasn't deleted personally)? Will it still be searchable? and will it still have a viewable profile and log history available to the general public?

Thanks for your quick response! Follow-on questions: Will a disabled account still show up on cache page logs (and TB page logs) as having found those caches (if each log wasn't deleted personally)? Will it still be searchable? and will it still have a viewable profile and log history available to the general public?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

So... what's the benefit then, "You can no longer log into it"?

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I have no idea what you're asking.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

I have no idea what you're asking.

What is the benefit of having an account "disabled"? (since it can't be deleted)

I.E. (an account I no longer use is disabled) what is different? That account can no longer be accessed by me, yet it's history remains viewable to the public?

Why would you want to delete your account? Witness protection program?

Deleting your account in it's entirety would affect the history of every cacher who owns a cache, TB or geocoin that you found or that found one of your caches, TBs, or geocoins. In my opinion, you'd have to have a honking good reason to affect all that history.

Deleting your account in it's entirety would affect the history of every cacher who owns a cache, TB or geocoin that you found or that found one of your caches, TBs, or geocoins. In my opinion, you'd have to have a honking good reason to affect all that history.

If it were my account to be deleted: My account, my logs, my choice...

What is the benefit of having an account "disabled"? (since it can't be deleted)

I.E. (an account I no longer use is disabled) what is different? That account can no longer be accessed by me, yet it's history remains viewable to the public?

As I understand it, the "disabled" status occurs when email to the associated email account starts bouncing back.

As I understand it, the "disabled" status occurs when email to the associated email account starts bouncing back.

...or by request through Groundspeak's contact email address.

I was hoping a Lackey would have chimed in by now to answer my above questions about disabled accounts. :D

Since your choice doesn't appear to address how it would affect others, I am pleased that we don't have the ability to delete our accounts.

I wonder if it's possible to have your stats added in to mine :P:laughing: