Caching with iPhone3G

TheDeadWalk

Alright, so this is my first post on this forum, and i joined about two days ago. I had learned about geocaching last summer from some friends, and just recently have I really looked into it. Long story short, I am psyched about going geocaching this summer. Right now I am in the market for a new iPhone (old one got a cracked screen). I was looking at the 3G iPhone and being a huge Apple fan, figured I would buy it. Well when I wathed the keynote and learned it had GPS i thought, this might be a great two in one. Now I am sure a question like this has been asked, and yes I did search, but here goes. How accurate or much worse is A-GPS than standalone GPS. If I do get the iPhone3G and use it as my GPS, will google maps work? I understand that there is a program for phones, not the iPhone yet, that helps with the geocaching, but I am not very interested in paying the monthly fee (not that I think its a bad price).

My real question, and I will get to the point here is, what kind of third party programs would I be looking for in order to use my iPhone to its full potential for geocaching (atleast for the beginning stages, get a real GPS when / I get serious).

Thanks a lot in advance, and I hope to be apart of this wonderful geocaching community.

Welcome,

A-GPS is cellular "A"ssisted GPS. What his means is you have a normal GPS chip that gets help from the cell towers when needed, like if you are indoors, so actually it is better than typical GPS and is just as acurate. A-GPS works like regular GPS when a cellular signal is not available. This assumes that Mr. Jobs sees fit to let developers play with the GPS without crippling it. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS for more info.

Google Maps can be used for some very simple finds but it is not good enough for anything very difficult.

You will have to wait for the 3G to come out to see what programs there are, if any.

The biggest drawback is phones are not as rugged as GPS units, see your cracked screen. :laughing:.

Oh, and check in the GPS and Technology section, there are a few iPhone threads already.

Edited by 35mm

Welcome,

A-GPS is cellular "A"ssisted GPS. What his means is you have a normal GPS chip that gets help from the cell towers when needed, like if you are indoors, so actually it is better than typical GPS and is just as acurate. A-GPS works like regular GPS when a cellular signal is not available. This assumes that Mr. Jobs sees fit to let developers play with the GPS without crippling it. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGPS for more info.

Google Maps can be used for some very simple finds but it is not good enough for anything very difficult.

You will have to wait for the 3G to come out to see what programs there are, if any.

The biggest drawback is phones are not as rugged as GPS units, see your cracked screen. :laughing:.

Oh, and check in the GPS and Technology section, there are a few iPhone threads already.

I will look there. Thank you very much for the information. The wikipedia article confused me a bit which is why I decided to ask here.

Alright, so this is my first post on this forum, and i joined about two days ago. I had learned about geocaching last summer from some friends, and just recently have I really looked into it. Long story short, I am psyched about going geocaching this summer. Right now I am in the market for a new iPhone (old one got a cracked screen). I was looking at the 3G iPhone and being a huge Apple fan, figured I would buy it. Well when I wathed the keynote and learned it had GPS i thought, this might be a great two in one. Now I am sure a question like this has been asked, and yes I did search, but here goes. How accurate or much worse is A-GPS than standalone GPS. If I do get the iPhone3G and use it as my GPS, will google maps work? I understand that there is a program for phones, not the iPhone yet, that helps with the geocaching, but I am not very interested in paying the monthly fee (not that I think its a bad price).

My real question, and I will get to the point here is, what kind of third party programs would I be looking for in order to use my iPhone to its full potential for geocaching (atleast for the beginning stages, get a real GPS when / I get serious).

Thanks a lot in advance, and I hope to be apart of this wonderful geocaching community.

OK everyone the thing about the iPhone that makes me mad the most is the GPS. Most people refer to a GPS as giving direcetions not cords and if anyone wants a caching app then you probably will have to make one. Can you take a pic of your screen?

OK everyone the thing about the iPhone that makes me mad the most is the GPS. Most people refer to a GPS as giving direcetions not cords and if anyone wants a caching app then you probably will have to make one. Can you take a pic of your screen?

I really don't understand the point of this post at all? But um, you want a picture of my cracked screen?

Spend a hundred bucks and get yourself a cheap GPS if you really want to get started. And a Palm off of eBay for your cache pages (not necessary, but nice... read about 'paperless caching' to understand more).

It would cost less to replace both of them than one phone... and be more reliable/less breakable at all times.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is cool... but it's not a lean, mean caching machine. It is pretty cool for talking, email and web when you can get service or wifi tho.

michelle

Spend a hundred bucks and get yourself a cheap GPS if you really want to get started. And a Palm off of eBay for your cache pages (not necessary, but nice... read about 'paperless caching' to understand more).

It would cost less to replace both of them than one phone... and be more reliable/less breakable at all times.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is cool... but it's not a lean, mean caching machine. It is pretty cool for talking, email and web when you can get service or wifi tho.

I think you're right. I don't see the same kind of inexpensive, home-grown geocaching solutions for the iPhone that we've seen for other platforms, and that's the way Apple wants it. From what I've read from various sources, to produce software, you've first got to get a developer's license ($$$) from Apple. The software then has be approved by Apple. You are then forced to make the software available solely through iTunes, and for the privilege of doing so, Apple takes a whopping 30% cut of your sales.

From what I've read from various sources, to produce software, you've first got to get a developer's license ($$$) from Apple. The software then has be approved by Apple. You are then forced to make the software available solely through iTunes, and for the privilege of doing so, Apple takes a whopping 30% cut of your sales.

Just to set the facts straight, you can develop for the iPhone for free. Only when you have an app ready to launch is there a US$99 fee to get a developer license and submit your app to Apples app store. With respect to the 30% cut Apple takes of your sales, this is low compared to other software sales and distribution methods. When you consider that for the 30% Apple is handling "packaging," distribution, and sales; not to mention promoting your app by placing it within easy access of millions of iPhone/iPod Touch owners; it suddenly becomes a relative bargain.

Having said that, I'm also looking forward seeing what geocaching developers come up with for the 3G iPhone. I don't plan on replacing my 60CSx with it but I do plan on replacing my Palm...it would be especially nice if I can download and review cache descriptions and logs based on my current location and I would love to see an app like BeeLineGPS (with dynamic location-based cache loading) for those times when I find myself somewhere without my Garmin or without local caches loaded onto it and the urge to geocache strikes!

Craig

Edited by LetterDude

From what I've read from various sources, to produce software, you've first got to get a developer's license ($$$) from Apple. The software then has be approved by Apple. You are then forced to make the software available solely through iTunes, and for the privilege of doing so, Apple takes a whopping 30% cut of your sales.

Just to set the facts straight, you can develop for the iPhone for free. Only when you have an app ready to launch is there a US$99 fee to get a developer license and submit your app to Apples app store. With respect to the 30% cut Apple takes of your sales, this is low compared to other software sales and distribution methods. When you consider that for the 30% Apple is handling "packaging," distribution, and sales; not to mention promoting your app by placing it within easy access of millions of iPhone/iPod Touch owners; it suddenly becomes a relative bargain.

Having said that, I'm also looking forward seeing what geocaching developers come up with for the 3G iPhone. I don't plan on replacing my 60CSx with it but I do plan on replacing my Palm...it would be especially nice if I can download and review cache descriptions and logs based on my current location and I would love to see an app like BeeLineGPS (with dynamic location-based cache loading) for those times when I find myself somewhere without my Garmin or without local caches loaded onto it and the urge to geocache strikes!

Craig

The fact that you have to pay Apple after development instead before, is pretty much irrelevant to the end-user, and is still the same money out-of-pocket for the potential developer. If Apple decides to not sell your product, you don't get the money back.

And 30% of sales off the top is hardly a bargain. I can see someone hitting Apple with a big, fat anti-trust suit over this, since their actions are preventing marketplace competition. If I create a Palm application, I can negotiate with various vendors to get the best deal, or just set up my own website to do it. What Apple is doing would make the Sopranos proud.

Oh, and one thing I forget - even if Apple does allow you to sell your app on iTunes, they can, at any time in the future, without having to give any reason or explanation, simply yank it from the site. It's this type of dictatorial management that will stifle development for the iPhone. As one tech reviewer put it, the iPhone is great technology, but it's dead technology, because Apple won't let it grow.

Edited by Prime Suspect