GPSmap 60CSx Problem

I got a 60CSx on Friday. I plugged it into my laptop with the USB cable, downloaded a bunch of waypoints, monkeyed around with it in general and it all worked great. However, when I unplugged it from the USB, it won't stay powered. Within 10-14 seconds of being started up on battery power, the screen fades out and it shuts down. I've spent a lot of time on various forums and I think I'm probably out of luck, but before I start through the tech support maze, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any thoughts.

* I changed out the batteries (twice).

* I've done a multitude of hard resets.

* I've updated the firmware/software at least three times though it says it is current (I went ahead and reinstalled). I'm at 3.6/3.0 and it's never done the 0.00 thing.

* I've looked at the Diagnostics page and on at least on occasion it's had an "abnormal powerdown" message (which I assume is just the result of the fade out). I didn't check diagnostics after every fade out, so I don't know that it's doing it every time.

It's worked a couple of times, once for a half an hour, once for about 2.5 hours and just now I restarted it and the frigging thing is working again after 2 hours of not. It seems like if it can make it through that initial 10-14 seconds it's fine (i.e. it either quits in 10 seconds or it's fine until the next time you cycle power). It's just when it comes back up that it has problems, but even then not always. The time it worked for 2.5 hours, I didn't trust it so before I went out I cycled power 10 times and left it running and it was fine each time. I left it on and it was good for quite a while. But after trying to bring it up 3-4 hours later it was down for a couple of hours despite being cycled at least 20 times. It didn't come back up until just now. And i've just cycled it 5 times or so and it's been fine each time.

Needless to say, this is all pretty sketchy. Any ideas or does this just sound like a full-on hardware problem?

Which leads to question 2. I bought this on ebay an it's a refurb. It includes a Garmin "Newly overhauled 1-year limited warranty certificate" with it (looks legit and the vendor had 40k+ transactions, so they aren't fly by night). The vendor offers a 20 day warranty/replacement/refund. Any thoughts where I should turn first? I'm reluctant to ask for an exchange, because what I ordered was actually a 60Cx and they sent me a 60CSx. I figure they're likely to replace it or exchange it for what I originally ordered (which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it functioned). Does Garmin look at online auctions as grey-market and give you grief over warranty support? Should I just ask for my money back and go buy a brand new one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I think I'm out of luck:

* Using regular Duracell alkaline batteries. I just tried swapping the ones in there that were brand new as of yesterday and probably have a total of 2 hours time on them with ones that are known brand new. No dice.

* I do indeed have the little foam-things-behind-the-battery-clips. However, they all look fine. I bent the clips out a little bit and the result was the same.

I think I'm going to contact Garmin and the vendor simultaneously and see if I can get some suitable response. Thanks for the guesses. If anyone else has any, fire them at me.

When you unplug the unit from the USB connection you only have about 30 seconds to hit any key or the unit will power off. Try that if that doesn't work then I would call tech support.

Yeah, I've seen that. It usually has started the fade by then and even if I hit a key it doesn't stay on. I think I'm able to draw two more conclusions: That if you start it on battery only, it will run for the 10-14 seconds. If you start it on USB and then unplug it, it dies immediately. Also the unit is basically done when the fade begins and even though you may see image for the second it takes to fade out, it's just leftover.

Me too, i have the same problem. even my 60csx have 4 years old. I do not understand the logic behind the power shut-off/fade out display. I plug my unit to pc for uploading routes/tracks to gps.Then i unplug the usb cord, hit the enter key within 30 sec. But when i power on the unit, few seconds after the display fades out and the unit power off. i certainly know my batteries set are fully and freshly charged.

- i use a Ray-Ovac NIMH Hybrid batteries. I wonder if it has an incidence to this problem.

Edited by shivia

I called Garmin support this morning. They are going to exchange it. Once I got past the long hold time, the service was great, understandable and not condescending. I hate when you call in and report a problem with all the steps that you did and they immediately ask you to repeat those same steps because that's what the script says.

Anyway, assuming the one they send me works, I'll be satisfied. They even gave me the option of shipping a new one, charging my card, and then crediting when they receive the other one. That cuts off half the wait time which is fine with me.

I called Garmin support this morning. They are going to exchange it. Once I got past the long hold time, the service was great, understandable and not condescending. I hate when you call in and report a problem with all the steps that you did and they immediately ask you to repeat those same steps because that's what the script says.

Anyway, assuming the one they send me works, I'll be satisfied. They even gave me the option of shipping a new one, charging my card, and then crediting when they receive the other one. That cuts off half the wait time which is fine with me.

Glad to hear that your GPS issue is almost solved: let us know if the exchanged GPS is working ... the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is a great buy: I use one myself :rolleyes: ... I hope you will enjoy this GPS as much as I do and it is always good to hear that customer service is helpful.

For those who are out of warranty, don't want to ship their unit, or don't get quite as warm of a reception from Garmin Tech Support, there's another option. If you're comfortable removing the back (half dozen screws), you can repair your unit yourself. Obviously, do this at your own risk.

As you remove the back, take care to not damage the rubber seal or pull the wires between the back and the internal printed circuit board. Once inside, take a Q-tip with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and clean the gold contacts in the center of the printed circuit board. Mine had a black residue (carbon buildup from using Li batteries??) that came off easily. Be careful to not short the board with too much alcohol. On the back side of the cover you will find two contacts set in a white plastic. If desired, carefully bend the contacts away from the cover ... just a little. If the contacts in the white plastic are loose, it's probably time to send your unit to Garmin ... soooooo be careful if you choose to bend them.

The biggest challenge for me was re-aligning the rubber "waterprooof" seal. Once you've got it aligned, re-attach the back cover and you're good to go. Start to finish was about 10 minutes.