Garmin Nuvi 200

Okay so I fell for it. I did the MyGPSOffer.com. I filled out the one offer I had to, which was applying for a Discover card. Now after I activate it I will receive a new Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS for free.

1st question is has any one else tried this? And if so how did it turn out?

2nd question is how does the Nuvi 200 work for Geocacheing? I was just going to sell it and buy an eTrex H any way but I was just wondering.

t I was just wondering.

No info for you yet, other than to say that you are not alone. I just signed up yesterday, got the confirmation email this morning.

Let's post our progress - in the meantime

Anyone else have experience?

While we're at it, how are the features on the 200? I really like the concept of a 'crossover' device - for one thing it might get my wife to take this hobby a little more seriously if there is a little voice telling her how to get to the closest Starbucks...

I sent an email to the company that does the offer. She said that once you activate which includes using the card one time, the item will be sent. I do not plan on using it actually. I figured I would sell it and it could pay for a different GPS. I don't think it is good for Geocache applications. I have read a couple things and it does not sound like it is . I was hoping that some one here would know. I will keep updating as I go along.

There are various threads in this forum that discuss geocaching with the Nuvi. I have a handheld and a Nuvi and love them both—in their environment. There are two threads that deal with paperless caching with Nuvi and also how to cache with it. I have incorporated the paperless part, but will still use the handheld once I leave the car.

Many people do cache with the Nuvi, but there are drawbacks that you need to work around such as: limited battery time, not as rugged as the handheld, not water proof/resistant, etc. To me the biggest drawback would be that it is designed for auto routing, not finding ammo cans in the woods.

When I cache/travel I use both. BTW, on the flip side, I've used my handheld to navigate in Los Angeles, both freeways and city streets, and I was very happy with it. But it doesn't compare with the Nuvi.

If your budget can handle it, keep the free Nuvi and get the handheld.

All this is my opinion and I hope you hear from folks that disagree with me so that you can better decide.

I have an Etrex Vista HCx and Nuvi. I prefer the Nuvi for geocaching. I prefer the Etrex for marking fishing waypoints, keeping tracklogs, and for heavy duty outdoor winter use (non geocaching).

My Nuvi battery will last 6 hours or more as long as the screen brightness is 50-60%. I plug it back in between stops anyway.

You can load any map (topo, custom, etc) you want to the Nuvi.

The trick to geocaching with the Nuvi is when you are ready to leave your vehicle set the navigation to "off road". That will prevent the snap to road feature. Goto map view North up. Also you need your vehicle set to a small rotating pointer (check POI factory for pointers and compass roses, make SURE it rotates) and goto MAX ZOOM.

The pointer indicates your direction of travel. Just keep the pointer pointed toward the cache until you arrive. When the pointer is on top of the cache icon you are @ GZ. Moving just a few feet in any direction will show up on the display. It couldn't be any easier.

My Nuvi is every bit as accurate as the Etrex, but max zoom is limited to 80 feet. I rarely use the sat screen, in deep woods cover it can be jumpy, but so can the etrex.

I have used the Nuvi in the rain several times (looking quick then back into a shirt pocket), dropped it a couple of times, I think it's more rugged than people think.

The nice thing about the Nuvi is it does it all. It holds the complete description. And logs. If you really need the hint you can get it. You can tag your find in favorites to be logged later. The TourGuide alerts you to the caches as you drive along.

I would have to say the Nuvi is "the bomb" for geocaching. My opinion only of course and no I don't work for Garmin.

How do you load topo?

The same way you would with a hand held unit. If it's a Garmin topo map then you need the unlock code for the unit. If it's a third party topo then it has to be in the Garmin .img format either way all of the supplemental maps will show up on the Nuvi as gmapsupp.img. If you do-it-yourself there is a lot to learn, I spent a couple of months learning how to make my own custom maps that are transparent and overlay the base map.

My family has been using the nuvi 200 for caching and it has been a dream sent for normal caches. I enjoy using the road feature to get to the cache and then changing to the Off Road feature to find the cache but it has it's limitations. It has trouble finding cahes right next to buildings and it is extremely jumpy in the woods. I'm looking for a recommendation for a handheld that isn't expensive and is as powerful as the nuvi 200 on the road. In our area, most cahes are in the woods and we like hiking in the Blue Ridge mountains. Any recommendations on a handheld garmin gps?