another etiquette quest

luvmyfam444

You could just put a note on your cache page:

Please leave only high-quality stuff... we like to cherry-pick out of our own cache from time to time.

Seriously though (well, more seriously, anyway):

I wouldn't care if anyone did it in my location, but I can sure see other cachers having a problem with it.

There is a substantial number of cachers who want to find GOOD stuff in the caches they find. If it is perceived that you and/or your kids are going out and taking things from the cache when you think there's something in there of value (regardless of the quality) and even if you're replacing it with some other type of trink...

It ain't gonna float for long.

michelle

i have to say that if your kids are trading fair, it's fine. sometimes people (kids especially) take a shine to specific kinds of items. personally, i collect signatures. so i might go and remove a signature i don't have, but i'd trade something nice for it, like a nice silver pin (my family cleaned out some very nice jewelry and decided to put it in caches) or, say a nice trinket from the smithsonian catalog. maybe a nice handmade kaleidoscope.

you might could cherry-pick with a clean conscience, provided you leave something that others will be just as pleased to find.

I'm in for the hunt and the knowledge gained by using my GPS, SAT info, Terrain, etc.

I think it would be cool to revisit your caches from time to time to lay eyes on your log or the swag people leave. If leading a crew of kids, I'd pick a fresh cache and enjoy the hunt with them.

Swag is cool but the thrill of the hunt is SO much cooler. I particularly relish the opportunities to get outdoors!