Palm M505

A friend has an old Palm M505 and I have very little knowledge of these things. I was wondering if they are compatible with a computer running XP, and if they are any use at all for paperless caching. Thanks.

Xp and my M505 play well together. With Cachemate & GSAK it makes a good combo.

A friend has an old Palm M505 and I have very little knowledge of these things. I was wondering if they are compatible with a computer running XP, and if they are any use at all for paperless caching. Thanks.

ahhhh....great....that's what i was hoping to hear....after some reading i've noticed that a LOT of people are having trouble hot-syncing the 505 using XP....what did you do to get around that problem?

Also, I use GSAK, but not cachemate...can the info from GSAK be sent to the m505.....if it can, what are the advantages of using cachemate....also, is cachemate free software? Thanks for your time.

Edited by GreatCanadian

ahhhh....great....that's what i was hoping to hear....after some reading i've noticed that a LOT of people are having trouble hot-syncing the 505 using XP....what did you do to get around that problem?

Also, I use GSAK, but not cachemate...can the info from GSAK be sent to the m505.....if it can, what are the advantages of using cachemate....also, is cachemate free software? Thanks for your time.

My xp works fine with GSAK 6, Palm desktop 4 and M515 and Zire71. Cachemate is $8, GSAK is worth paying for, and you will appreciate Premiun membership of Geocaching to build Pocket Queries. It takes seconds to generate a Palm bundle in GSAK, and sync to M515. Whilst thats syncing, upload coords to GPS. People probably need to install USB drivers for PALM. NOT use XP's own.

Search the forums for paperless. A new battery is very cheap for Palm M500 series.

The HotSync problem only occurs with XP "Media Edition." And, apparently, that isn't even a problem for everyone who tries to HotSync an m-Series Palm with "Media Edition."

I have a Palm m515 and use the card reader to transfer the .pdb files, Exported from GSAK, to the "Launcher" folder on the 256 MB card. That works fine.

A Palm m505 is an excellent choice for caching. It should be easy to read in bright sunlight, something that cannot be said for Palms that cost much more.

I'm using Palm 4.1.4, D.L.'d from the palm website. Cachemate is limited to 10 or 20? caches unless U pay $8 for the prog. Gsak can export files in the palm format, then hot-sync to transfer to the palm. You can write the files to a memory card in a card reader then "import" to cachemate, either way works for me.

Plus there are some good games for the palm too :D

Ok....i do have a premium membership to geocaching.com, full version of GSAK, and i use pocket queries to create gpx files to export, then use poi loader to load them to my legend hcx, i get 80+ characters in the hint. Using the palm, what advantages will Cachemate give me over GSAK. Do I NEED cachemate. If there's an advantage, I have no problem paying the $8 for it. But if I can get all the information to the palm using GSAK, why would I need or want Cachemate. Is it better for managing the caches on the palm once they are loaded? Again, thanks for all your input. I appreciate it.

Ok....i do have a premium membership to geocaching.com, full version of GSAK, and i use pocket queries to create gpx files to export, then use poi loader to load them to my legend hcx, i get 80+ characters in the hint. Using the palm, what advantages will Cachemate give me over GSAK. Do I NEED cachemate. If there's an advantage, I have no problem paying the $8 for it. But if I can get all the information to the palm using GSAK, why would I need or want Cachemate. Is it better for managing the caches on the palm once they are loaded? Again, thanks for all your input. I appreciate it.

Cachemate reads the files that GSAK exports to your palm. As far as the Garmin loader, I know nothing. I use a magellan 210. You might look at this Link

Edited by goodwrench00

I don't use CacheMate, but use the Spinner/SunriseXP/Plucker Viewer combo. Basically, I get the full cache page, including text colors and styles, pictures, and a Topo Map. I think CacheMate strips out all the styles and pictures, but I could be wrong. I only tried it once, and didn't care for the interface. Too much clicking around to find things that the Plucker Viewer presents all on one page.

I don't use CacheMate, but use the Spinner/SunriseXP/Plucker Viewer combo. Basically, I get the full cache page, including text colors and styles, pictures, and a Topo Map. I think CacheMate strips out all the styles and pictures, but I could be wrong. I only tried it once, and didn't care for the interface. Too much clicking around to find things that the Plucker Viewer presents all on one page.

I too use Spinner/SunriseXP/Plucker at times, it's a good combination BUT there's more steps to go through too.

I too use Spinner/SunriseXP/Plucker at times, it's a good combination BUT there's more steps to go through too.

I'm not sure about that. After you get the PQ extracted to your PC, you just run Spinner (a double-click on the desktop icon), then HotSync the Palm. The Sunrise XP conduit automatically handles the rest. I don't see how CacheMate is simpler. You've still got to run a PC program to create a file, and then HotSync it. Seems like a wash to me.

Now, that's with a Palm. If you're using some other type of PDA, it may not be able to automatically run the Sunrise XP distiller behind the scenes. But you can add it to as a post-processing job in Spinner, so that Spinner automatically runs it after it finishes. So it's still just a couple of mouse clicks.