These would make me batty...

I ran across a website that sells cache containers...ones that look like a regular item.

Ex: Pinecones, apple, rock, sprinkler head, metal wall plate.....

Has anybody ever encountered a cache thats been hidden in one such as these? I think I would go nuts trying to locate one of these!

Pinecones, wall plates, and rocks, yes. Groundspeak even sells a rock cache. They can be cool, they can be annoying.

An apple cache would be cool, unless it was under a real apple tree surrounded by tons of smelly rotten apples B)

Then there are containers fitted into split logs (then the pieces are stuck back together), into large clumps of grass, into stumps, into tree limbs, etc.

Most sprinkler-head caches violate the "no burying" rule (how do you sink them in the ground without a pointy object??), but that comment will probably generate many angsty replies.

I've also seen caches (either in real life or pictures in the forums) that resemble bird houses, bird nests, bat houses, etc., that are probably illegal in most states (those that outlaw messing with bats and with nesting wild birds). In cases like this, I try to imagine the reaction of a land manager finding the cache... say, a head NPS Ranger trying out the game to determine if he wants to allow geocaching in his particular park...

Oh, and bolts. The ones where you take out an existing bolt and replace it with a hollow one are against the rules (unless you owned the original bolt too), but they're used all the time. The ones that are just hollowed out bolt heads attached with magnets are excellent hides.

I have never bought a camo'd cache such as those you named, but I've made my share. I have had two apples (one, called Pineapple, was hidden in a pine tree), one fake pinecone (those are very hard to make!), a couple of fake bolts, and more that I can't reveal here because bflentje reads these threads.

Has anybody ever encountered a cache thats been hidden in one such as these? I think I would go nuts trying to locate one of these!

Absolutely.

The trick is to look objectively at the area, and ask yourself "What doesn't belong here?". That will uncover about half of them. For the other half, look for colors that are slightly off, or a shiny object where the rest are oxidized. Look for that "something out of place". With practice, you'll get to where they make you only half-nuts.

We are getting ready to place a cache in a disguised container, but it should be fairly obvious that the object is out of place. I have actually seen a container that looks just like a rattlesnake, which I personally think would be a BAD idea.

Tracie

OHH Yes, I saw the rattlesnake one on that website. That would be a HORRIBLE idea, because anyone within a halfmile radius would hear me scream, and I'd run like Forest Gump.

I once ran into a fake bolt. As I looked for the cache, I reached inside a hollow rail in a fence. I felt a bolt that was just lying there. I took it out and looked at it and decided it was nothing special. Since it didn't seem to have been a part of the fence, I stuck it in my pocket. When I finally abandoned my search and headed for the car, something made me look at the bolt in my pocket. Imagine my surprise when I twisted the head!

another fake bolt story. This cache near me, What a View!, took me about three visits to "find" the cache. it took me and a couple others to come back and actually find the darn thing. It was in need of maintenance at the time, so it was disabled until last month

was glad to finally find that cache. got on my nerves that i couldn't find it

I have never bought a camo'd cache such as those you named, but I've made my share. I have had two apples (one, called Pineapple, was hidden in a pine tree), one fake pinecone (those are very hard to make!), a couple of fake bolts, and more that I can't reveal here because bflentje reads these threads.

He'd never say so but I will.. this fella is a master hider!

I ran across a website that sells cache containers...ones that look like a regular item.

Ex: Pinecones, apple, rock, sprinkler head, metal wall plate.....

There's another dimension of cache out there too. There's the common variety that you will encounter in every place you cache. The fake bolts, electric boxes, rocks and so on. While those are fun to find.. there are caches that are so well crafted that you can put your hands all over them, sit on them, stand on them, and your mind still won't allow you to believe that it is a cache. I've been lucky enough to find a few of these.

So do I!!!

But I am south of you...so go ahead and PM all your ideas...maybe I can use a couple :o

As for the OP...Yeah, I have seen a couple, give it time and you will see them eventually...and yes, there are a couple that will just drive a person mad!!!

So do I!!!

But I am south of you...so go ahead and PM all your ideas...maybe I can use a couple ;)

As for the OP...Yeah, I have seen a couple, give it time and you will see them eventually...and yes, there are a couple that will just drive a person mad!!!

I am here but not really paying attention... :o

I've made my share as well:

- Fake bolts

- Gravestones

- Floating ducks

- severed arms and legs

I have constructed many more but can't list them because Knowschad reads these forums and he'll eventually make it to my end of town.