Help! I have an activiation code engraving problem!

Joyful April

I am having some geocoins made by a company that hasn't made geocoins before (long story).

I told the rep that the activation codes would be consecutive but OOPS! I was wrong. The guy can't/won't individually engrave the activation codes on each coin (300).

I want to have the coins made and then engraved at another source. Do you think another company that makes geocoins would take care of this task? Any ideas where to go? I thought of engraving them myself with a dremel tool but I am afraid that will look really sloppy.

Does anyone know of a company that produces geocoins in the Seattle area?

Please give me some great ideas!!!

Thank you.

The coins are engraved in the same place they are made, the coin companies (coin broker) does not actually engrave the coins. I don't see why the coin broker will not have his mint do individual engraving, it really makes no sense.

If you have not paid for the coins and/or if they have not been made yet you might want to look into using another company to make your coin. You can find a list of companies (HERE) that make geocoins and are much more familiar with the process.

J

Edited by Team Jsam

If you have already had them made and they need the numbers, you may have to go to a trophy shop, which will be very expensive, unless you can find one that will work a good deal for you. other than that, before you try the dremel, look for the kinds of lettering stamps used at a locksmith to number keys. you'll need to do some practice first to get the striking technique just right. Any way around, if the coins are already made without the numbers, you're looking at either a great expense or a great deal of labor.

When you look into the cost of the engraving, you may be better off to but an engraving machine yourself and learn to use it. I'm going to look into some of that now.

This is a simple kind that would be ideal for your situation, and on the least expensive end of machines

http://www.gravograph.com/Engraving%20Machines/IM3.php

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I am having some geocoins made by a company that hasn't made geocoins before (long story).

I told the rep that the activation codes would be consecutive but OOPS! I was wrong. The guy can't/won't individually engrave the activation codes on each coin (300).

I want to have the coins made and then engraved at another source. Do you think another company that makes geocoins would take care of this task? Any ideas where to go? I thought of engraving them myself with a dremel tool but I am afraid that will look really sloppy.

Does anyone know of a company that produces geocoins in the Seattle area?

Please give me some great ideas!!!

Thank you.

I think you are going to have to chalk this one up to an expensive lesson assuming the coins are already made?

My personal opinion but by no means the absolute right answer(s). First of all I don't know of any geocoin companies based out of Seattle but even if there is; more than likely they use a mint overseas to make the coins. if that were the case, then they should be able to have the mint laser engrave your numbers. (You said activation codes, I hope you mean tracking numbers?) I don't know what your contract agreement is/was with this coin maker but if they won't do it then it looks like you will have to bite the bullet unless you can try to sway them into doing it.

I don't think any of the geocoin companies would take your coins and send them to China to be engraved because; the equipment may be different from company to company, it's way too expensive to send your coins to China and back anyhow, if the coins got screwed up or lost in the process, I don't know of anyone who would want to take on that responsibility but you could always ask (good luck).

You could call up some of those engraving/trophy/plaque stores and talk with them but I think you are going to have to fork over some bucks if you can find someone to do it. Anything done in the USA is expensive.

You could use your dremel but I hope you have a steady hand and a neat procedure.

My last and most reasonable suggestion would be to cut your losses, keep the tracking numbers you purchased for a different coin or see if GS could buy them back (? - explain situation) and then use them as traders, you won't be able to sell them here but there is always ebay :blink:

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. Maybe someone else here will come up with a wonderful idea for you.