Event caches - any top tips for finding them?

I was, back in the beginning of 2008, planning on doing many events. But i can't do as many as I hoped so I went to have a look see on geocacheuk to see if there were any last camping events to do in September during the final death spasms of summer. Obviously - at the moment - no can do.

So I came up with the fab idea of doing a query, cache types, events. All working tickity boo and the scary realisation that on the 2nd page on query preview, events in Ireland turn up and on the 4th page events in Holland turn up :rolleyes:

But all the events that have passed but are not disabled are still on display on the query. Does anyone know (without resorting to GSAK cos I know you'd be able to do it in GSAK cos you can do ANYTHING in GSAK) on how to NOT include the events that the date has passed from being in your query?

PS I noted that the Dutch seem to disable their events (but not archive) after the date has passed. A good idea I thought to prevent them being included in 'live' cache queries.

PPS - Is anyone planning a fab camping event for mid-ish September anywhere? :lol:

I too was wondering of anyone would do a camping event in mid sept... Taunton last year was fab!! I'm doing The Burton event, but Mid Sept is freeeeee!!!

I've done my bit for camping events this year, having just hosted the fab Lets Go Camping in Cheshire #3 but if push came to shove... lol

Edited by HazelS

I have a PQ for events and it works fine.

Using all the various options you can narrow it down.

Tick the options to only show caches that 'have not been found' and 'are active'

- This removes past events as they will get logged veruly quickly then no longer show up. The only draw back is if some numpty logs an attend instead of a Will Attend, but a slim chance of happening.

Also Tick Country and select United Kingdom to resrict it to here.

That seems to work for me, how ever a self updating UK calendar would be great! I might have a play on my website at somepoint, although running a calendar from PQs, does that count as site skimming?

A little birdie told me that a Lancs camping event is very very likely .... I think the plan is for around the end of September. :)

Lancs sounds good... just not toooo near the end of sept... don't want to freeze... can't get a heater and hook up and all that in tiddley tents like mine!!

;)

Last years Lancs event in October was great weather throughout - October is actually as warm as May :)

But it'll probs be Seps some time... need a rest after GFAB! :)

It's true that - loads of rain throughout the summer, upsetting a few events along the way, and at Lancs event last year I got sunburnt! It was lovely weather, and although it was dark a bit earlier, we were all sat around until quite late around Bob's firepit, eating PuP's chilli con carne and rice. PuP was kn*ckered though ....

bfe4a967-0945-4138-84b2-64deceba6ca5.jpg

Back to the OP: Scott ... set up a PQ for events, dont forget to include CITO ones, set the dates from current date (which will then not show events passed) up to end December 2009, set the country to UK only, preview the search and then bookmark the results, et voila! All the info you need with one click. Change the start date every now and then to clear out events already gone - you won't need to update your bookmark list ;)

The event info does still show on Geocache UK. - click the link and scroll down. :laughing:

Edited by The Cache Hoppers