Traveling to Alberta in June

Borick

We are very excited about our trip to Alberta the middle of June. We are new to Geocaching and are having trouble finding a list of caches on our planned route. There are over 5,000 caches listed in Alberta! We have tried using postal codes but have not been able to get results. We will be heading for Banff, Calgary and Jasper areas. Any hints on how to narrow our search. Thanks!

We are very excited about our trip to Alberta the middle of June. We are new to Geocaching and are having trouble finding a list of caches on our planned route. There are over 5,000 caches listed in Alberta! We have tried using postal codes but have not been able to get results. We will be heading for Banff, Calgary and Jasper areas. Any hints on how to narrow our search. Thanks!

We cache a ton while driving all over North America and I always plan the caches I am going to do by creating a bookmark, finding one cache I want to do along the route, then scrolling down on that cache's page and clicking the Geocaching Google Maps link. Once that comes up, just click and drag the map in the direction you are going to be headed and find other caches on your route to click on and save to your bookmark list. Once you have a complete list, create a pocket query from that list and email it to yourself. You can then upload it to your GPS through either your Mapsource (or other mapping) software or load it into GSAK and then upload to your GPS as well as Cachemate.

In a nutshell,

* If you like urban caches, Calgary. You can't turn around without tripping over one.

* If you like wilderness caches, Canmore. Caches on anything from short trails to mountaintops.

The national parks (Jasper & Banff) have very few caches for bureaucratic reasons. Canmore (including Kananaskis Country just to the south) doesn't have this problem, and has picked up the slack quite nicely.

Around Canmore, try anything by BVPete, and certainly don't miss Cold Cache.

Have fun!

Here is one in the middle of Banff, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMB99 You can search out from there.

This bookmark list a good variety, http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...64-e39e8b5bade7

It would help if you were a Premium Member as we could then do queries along a route and such.

How is that working now? I tried a PQ along a route last year and the list was aweful and made no sense.