Creating Cache That can be Multi or Single

EricT

Any Ideas

I would like some advice from anyone how to post a cache that can be a multi or each leg can be a single one from the same cache. Any ideas how to post this? Would you post four different singles and also post one multi or what other way could you post it?

Eric

While I do not exactly understand what you want to do, I'll speak from my understanding. What people in my area do is publish each stage (with a logbook that has a number in it) as a separate cache, and publish the final one as a puzzle, and then give the coordinates with letters replacing numbers and each corresponding number can be found in the logbook of one of the caches.

Here is how I did it. I hid two containers about 20 feet apart with the posted coordinates smack in the middle of them. One was the cache. Another was the first stage of a multi that eventually took you back to the starting point.

So searchers who lucked out and found the actual cache first were one and done. If they found the other container they had a 1 mile RT, 3 stage m4ulti.

I called it "Don't tell a Soul" because if someone blabbed about the secret then everybody else would just keep looking for the real cache when they found the wrong one.

It's probably the only original idea I ever had and it turned out to be wildly unpopular. I think because I had to list it as a mystery cache, about 90 percent of the locals put it on their ignore list.

Oh and not a getting started issue so moving to the general forum

Here is how I did it. I hid two containers about 20 feet apart with the posted coordinates smack in the middle of them. One was the cache. Another was the first stage of a multi that eventually took you back to the starting point.

So searchers who lucked out and found the actual cache first were one and done. If they found the other container they had a 1 mile RT, 3 stage m4ulti.

I like that idea! Mind if I steal it?!

There is a cache series here that is sorta a multi, since you have to find the first one to get the correct coords to the rest of them, if you answer any of the questions wrong, you find a container, but its not the cache....I am just waiting on the first leg to be replaced so we can finish out the rest of the caches.

Here is the link to the first cache of the "series"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...98-c2c00ddc98af

Edited by je4wdep's wife

Go right ahead.

Go right ahead.
Hmm... How's this sound:

A setup as Brian suggests, but in addition, the hint on the cache page leads you to the "Multi" while the "Traditional" is hidden in a geo-obvious spot. Anyone who comes with the hint decoded will find the multi, while anyone just using their geosenses will find the Single Stage.

Don't yet know what to call it...

Go right ahead.
Hmm... How's this sound:

A setup as Brian suggests, but in addition, the hint on the cache page leads you to the "Multi" while the "Traditional" is hidden in a geo-obvious spot. Anyone who comes with the hint decoded will find the multi, while anyone just using their geosenses will find the Single Stage.

I'd make the title lead you to the single, but make the first of the multi-stages an obvious hide. If they can't get the hint in the title, tough nubbins. :anibad:

I like it too!!

And I pity the one cacher who is so focused that he/she refinds the first stage and doesn't realize it until half way around the route again!! :anibad:

(Yea... It would probably be me!!)

Edited by Zop

"Some People Can't Take A Hint"

"Take A Hint"

or variations thereof.

What I did was make 4 regular caches with part of a set of coords for a bonus cache in each one so you had to visit each cache to get the coords for the bonus which was a mystery cache. So I had 4 micros that you had to find to find the one ammo can and you would get 5 smiley faces.

Two caches I've done that are somewhat similar:

The Last Stand of Clan Riffster (CR-5) requires seekers to locate 4 regular caches. In each of the 4 is a piece of a shattered "tombstone" with the coords carved into it using the pigpen cypher. The cacher finds each piece, does a rubbing, assembles the rubbings to complete the tombstone, then decrypts the coords.

Qu'vatlh (CR-7) uses a crypted image on the cache page that contains the coords to the final. At the posted coords, I put a decon kit with the same image, decrypted, inside. Folks can treat it as a puzzle or a multi.

Edited by Clan Riffster