Trying to get started

biscuits&gravy

I read about this activity a couple weeks ago. I did some reading on handheld GPS units and settled on buying an ETrex venture HC. I have been exploring the options and directions but have not been able to figure out what I have to do to start a geocache hunt.

I assumed I had to enter the coordinates of the cache and my unit would lead me there - I haven't been able to find a way to do that so now I'm wondering if I park or walk to the starting point described in the geocache entry and walk until I get closer to the coordinates?

I know I must sound like a total idiot but I don't know anyone who does it and really want to get started!

Welcome to the Forums! :D

I'm not familiar with that GPS unit, but if it is like others, you need to Mark your present location then edit those coordinates to those of the cache. Then use the "Go To" function to follow the arrow to the cache location. You can use the maps on the cache page to see where to start your search.

If that model has a cable to connect it to your computer, you can use the Garmin Communicator Plug-in to download the coordinates directly from individual cache pages to the GPSr. You can also download the .loc files from a Search page and use a Program like EasyGPS or GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) to send several, or many, waypoints to the GPSr at one time.

The Getting Started forum is the best place to ask these kind of questions

I was wondering if you are asking how to get coordinates into your gps and then get your gps to point to those coords or how to approach a cache site to begin looking.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The Getting Started forum is the best place to ask these kind of questions

I was wondering if you are asking how to get coordinates into your gps and then get your gps to point to those coords or how to approach a cache site to begin looking.

Sorry I thought I was in the Getting Started forum.

I was asking if I was supposed to enter the coordinates of the cache into my GPS or do I start at the location described in the cache description and start walking until I find the coordinates.

My unit does have a USB cord. I discovered after my original post that I left my GPS at work so I won't be able to try the suggestions until tomorrow. :D

Thanks for the advice... I am anxious to get started!

I was asking if I was supposed to enter the coordinates of the cache into my GPS or do I start at the location described in the cache description and start walking until I find the coordinates.

Your gps will take you to within approximately 30 feet of the waypoint you've entered.

You might have to find the best place to park. You might have to decide which trail to take. You might have to decide when to leave the trail and start bushwhacking. It's all part of the fun.

I usually research the area using an online map and then pick the best route.

My unit does have a USB cord. I discovered after my original post that I left my GPS at work so I won't be able to try the suggestions until tomorrow. :D

Yep, either enter the coordinates manually into the GPS or download them using the USB cord. When I first started, I entered them manually, then finally figured out how to do them using a USB cord. Made life a lot easier.

Good luck!

Yep, either enter the coordinates manually into the GPS or download them using the USB cord. When I first started, I entered them manually, then finally figured out how to do them using a USB cord. Made life a lot easier.

Good luck!

I finally had time to sit down and try to load software that came with my Garmin ETrex Venture.

It came with a USB cord and a CD with Topo maps on it.

The directions in the book tell you how to load it into a microSD card, my particular model does not have that feature, only internal memory (24MB)

No where in the book does it say how to get the software from the book onto the unit.

I loaded the software onto my computer and opened it, I clicked on Transfer - Send to device. I was told to select a map. I tried several things nothing worked, I turned my unit off then on again. When I tried to upload maps there were 3 listed, none that I would want of course. Before I knew what they were they were uploaded.

Now I need to know how to get those maps off and get the ones I want loaded. Before uploading the wanted maps I need to figure out how to choose what I want.

Im so frustrated - on the verge of giving up :)

Don't get frustrated. This is supposed to be fun !

I don't think the maps are a big deal.

You seem to be bouncing from one thing to another....

So relax... take a deep breath, and keep pushing those little buttons.

I don't think you can hurt the gpsr (unless you get really mad and smash it to bits).

The goal is to get that long line of numbers entered into the gpsr, and then get the "go to" function working.

You will then follow that Arrow (that you haven't seen yet) and use the distance to go to help you get close to the cache area.

Find the cache. Sign the log. And then celebrate !

Look in the manual on page 7 to make a waypoint. You will have to go outside and get the unit to lock on to it's coords (if you haven't already). Once you do that, you can press the mark button to get the waypoint function to open, or hold the mark button down until the unit marks your present location.

Then using the little joystick, you can move up and down the page (sorta like a TAB function) until you get into the field that has all the coordinates. Once there you can stumble around until you get the entire cache you want to find location input.

Then..... you can FIND WAYPOINTS

OK, I have the same unit and was a little lost at first myself. Heres what you do.

First, the maps that loaded were an automatic default when you loaded the program. You should have a map of Olathe,KS with a waypoint labled GARMIN and another waypoint or two for other Garmin locations. Just delete them from your GPSR.

Next, open the Map Source program on your PC and zoom to a map scale of about 10 miles in the area you'd like to upload. Now choose the Map Tool which is a polygon shaped icon next to a hand shaped icon on the top tool bar. After you have selected the Map Tool, roll your mouse across the map and you'll notice a yellow rectangle that moves around with your cursor. If you left click, the area within the rectangle turns pink to indicate that you have selected that map.

Now look at the bottom info bar and you'll see the name of the map and it's size in kilobytes. Make a note of it's size. You can now select as many map sections as you like up to a cumulative total of 24 MB. Make sure you keep track of how many MB you are uploading because your GPSR does not have a feature to tell you how much memory you have used.

After you have selected all of the map sections you want, select Transfer from the drop down menu at the top of the screen and then Send to Device Your maps should now be in your GPSR but you have to shut down the unit and power it back up before the maps will show up.

Now about getting cache coordinates into the unit. First you can mark your current location and then edit the coords as was mentioned earlier, but that gets old FAST. What you need to do is go to a cache listing (any cache will do) and click Send to GPS. This will open up a new window where you can write to your device, but don't try to do it yet because it won't work. At the bottom of this window there is a link that says Powered by Garmin Communicator . Click on this link and you will be taken to a web page where you can download and install the Garmin Communicator Plug-in. Once you have installed the plug-in, go to the cache listing you want, connect your GPSR to the USB cable and click Send to Devise. This time it will find your devise and you can click Write THATS IT! The cache number and coords will be saved as a waypoint in the geocache folder and an unopened treasure chest icon will populate on the map at the cache location.

Hope this helps you out.

Thank you soooooo much MushroomFinder, Venturakids and everyone else. I successfully loaded maps, installed the communicator tool and loaded my first cache. As soon as the heatwave breaks or maybe an evening after the sun is going down my we will be able to take our first walk and find this treasure. I am going to stick to caches close to home within walking distance before I venture out.

Thank you soooooo much MushroomFinder, Venturakids and everyone else. I successfully loaded maps, installed the communicator tool and loaded my first cache. As soon as the heatwave breaks or maybe an evening after the sun is going down my we will be able to take our first walk and find this treasure. I am going to stick to caches close to home within walking distance before I venture out.

Let us know how it goes, and if you need any more help! Though anyone with a caching name of biscuits&gravy is obviously starting out on the right foot! Mmmmm! :blink:

Is it OK to ask questions here? Ive just started and theres lots I want to know. Is it OK to ask someone to come and help me with my first hunt?

It is very ok to ask questions here! However, if you do have a specific question and topic I would recommend you start it out as a new topic.

:blink:

It's always good to have someone to hunt with, both for companionship and safety. In that you don't have a car, why not share the load, they provide car and drive, you navigate and spring for a tankful or dinner. Whatever seems fair to you and your new friend.

One other place you might ask would be in the INDIANA GEOCACHING group forums. Look also for a possible local group.

Meanwhile, there are 10 caches within 6 miles of your city center. Try a bike ride or two. Have fun, be safe.

It's always good to have someone to hunt with, both for companionship and safety. In that you don't have a car, why not share the load, they provide car and drive, you navigate and spring for a tankful or dinner. Whatever seems fair to you and your new friend.

One other place you might ask would be in the INDIANA GEOCACHING group forums. Look also for a possible local group.

Meanwhile, there are 10 caches within 6 miles of your city center. Try a bike ride or two. Have fun, be safe.

Thanks Mr Lee, ill give them a try sometime. Just been out as you suggested and got a couple of finds. This is way cool!

I read about this activity a couple weeks ago. I did some reading on handheld GPS units and settled on buying an ETrex venture HC. I have been exploring the options and directions but have not been able to figure out what I have to do to start a geocache hunt.

I assumed I had to enter the coordinates of the cache and my unit would lead me there - I haven't been able to find a way to do that so now I'm wondering if I park or walk to the starting point described in the geocache entry and walk until I get closer to the coordinates?

I know I must sound like a total idiot but I don't know anyone who does it and really want to get started!

Hi all,

After combing through the forums, I just purchased the Etrex Venture HC. There are quite a few caches in my town. Can't wait to get the GPS and get started. I'm sure I will be back here asking tons of questions.

Thanks

'Sioneva'

We had our first one a few days ago - a mile from the house. We walked down and looked everywhere, the friendly muggles who lived next door saw we were giving up - they were watching and waiting. They came out and helped us find it.... they had seen dozens of people in the area and figured out after a while what they were doing. After it was found they invited us inside for a glass of tea and a chat. They are thinking about getting a GPS and joining us in the sport.

I realized after we got home there was an encrypted clue "magnatized" had I seen that before we left we would have looked other places instead of just the ground!

We are looking forward to the next one.

OK, I have the same unit and was a little lost at first myself. Heres what you do.

Next, open the Map Source program on your PC and zoom to a map scale of about 10 miles in the area you'd like to upload. Now choose the Map Tool which is a polygon shaped icon next to a hand shaped icon on the top tool bar. After you have selected the Map Tool, roll your mouse across the map and you'll notice a yellow rectangle that moves around with your cursor. If you left click, the area within the rectangle turns pink to indicate that you have selected that map.

Mushroom finder.. thanks so much for this info. i just rec'd mine. i ordered this exact model. i am having trouble with the first step. when i select my area the line is black and it doesn't stay selected. i tried to unlock maps from the program.. it won't let me.. says to reinstall which i've done about three times now....

i'm stuck. we are ready to start our first cache. i appreciate the help.

thanks.

Are you saying that you purchased the TOPO maps with your unit (like an earlier poster)? Otherwise, you just have the basemap in your MapSource and on your unit. You would need to purchase additional maps if you want to send detailed maps (TOPO or streets) to your GPS unit.

Thanks, I brought it work and gave it to a GPS person here. He said the CD has no map, but he went somewhere and downloaded one and put it on my GPS. I was able to mark my home, he also renamed it home. I can't beleive that I couldn't figure this out. Anyway, I'm going to try and load one on my GPS. It's right by my house, but I want to see I can load it.

Thank you so much for responding. The boys and I are very excited to do our very first cache. What a newbie I am. HA. We may try it tonight.

:P