ibycus maps of canada

i am wondering if anyone is using ibycus maps??? i can t seem to get them to run, i have downloaded them a couple of different times (at 2 hours a download) and the file is there but then when i open the file with winzip i cant seem to find the opened file. without the opened file there is no way to view the maps.

really looking forward to seeing the maps on my new colorado 300

i am wondering if anyone is using ibycus maps??? i can t seem to get them to run, i have downloaded them a couple of different times (at 2 hours a download) and the file is there but then when i open the file with winzip i cant seem to find the opened file. without the opened file there is no way to view the maps.

really looking forward to seeing the maps on my new colorado 300

Is the file an executable? With his US maps it has an installer so winzip is not required, but it had a few issues when the download did not complete correctly (failed crc) so first I would check that you downloaded the entire file first.

In Mapsource, look the list of detailed maps. There should be a pulldown menu on the upper left. Look for "Ibycus Topo 1.xx"

Or use View/Switch to Map Product/

"Trip and Waypoint Manager" and "Mapsource" are the same program.

Edited by Red90

when i first downloaded it i beleive it was 1.52 g so i think i had it all but after openening it to program files it does not seem as big.

Try downloading to the same location, it may pickup where it left off. I had to do this about three times for the US map and that was only 900+ Megs.

You're disappointed with the detail? Why? It's as good if not better than the maps Garmin created.

To add them to your gps, just use the map select tool (looks kind of like a rectangle with a "bite" out of it) in your tool bar, and create a box around the region you'd like to have on your gps. Then hit the send to device button.

thanks a lot marc, i was only disappointed because i had not seen the garmin ones i guess. dont honestly know what i was expecting. thanks for all the tips

They have EVERYTHING that is on a Federal government 1:50000 topo map PLUS up to date streets. What more do you want???

Are you zooming in far enough to see everything??

Here is a sample.

ibycus-1.jpg

I really need to write an FAQ one of these days. Thanks for all your help in answering these questions guys.

From the Original Post... Those sizes don't seem big enough. Where are you downloading from? From the size, this seems like an older version (current version is ~4GB), which will have less coverage than the newest version. I suggest you download the updater http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe , to make sure you have the latest version installed (for the record, and to clear up any confusion, the "Updater" will function for a fresh install).

Another option is to download the ISO image, burn to a DVD (as an image) and run Setup from the DVD. http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/IbycusTopo15iso.zip . I've had a number of successful reports using this method.

The USA maps are also available through BitTorrent.

Edited by ibycus

Ok, calling all software experts. After two days of downloading on a low quality high speed connection, 1 for version 1.22 and another with the updater to get the latest map files, now mapsource fails to start with the following info displayed.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>

<ErrorReport xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/ApplicationErrors/v1">

<Error>

<Exception>

<SubId>1</SubId>

<SourceCodeLocation>

<SourceFileName>MPL_MAP.CPP</SourceFileName>

<SourceFileLine>236</SourceFileLine>

</SourceCodeLocation>

<Extra>Image: G:\Garmin\TopoMaps\NTDBData.img

Map: 09999999

Sort:

Error code: 1

</Extra>

</Exception>

<Application>

<Name>MapSource</Name>

<Build>

<Version>

<VersionMajor>6</VersionMajor>

<VersionMinor>13</VersionMinor>

<BuildMajor>7</BuildMajor>

<BuildMinor>0</BuildMinor>

</Version>

<Type>Release</Type>

<Time>Jan 21 2008, 14:11:50</Time>

<Builder>SQA</Builder>

</Build>

<LanguageID>1033</LanguageID>

<PartNumber>006-A0041-00</PartNumber>

</Application>

<Computer>

<OperatingSystem>Windows XP Service Pack 2</OperatingSystem>

<Processor>x86, Processor Level: 15, Processors:2, Model: 4 Stepping: 1</Processor>

<RamSize>1440748</RamSize>

</Computer>

<Time>2008-06-03T20:05:44Z</Time>

</Error>

</ErrorReport>

I ran mapsource right after installing version 1.22 without any problems. when I ran the updater program it indicated there were "orphaned" files, about 130 or so. Now this error crops up. How can I fix it?

Did the update completely finish?

If not, run it again. The registry changes happen last.

It looks weird that the installation is looking for G:\Garmin\topomaps\ as that is not the default location.

If you just want to fix the problem and are comfortable with registry changes......, run REGEDIT (start/run/regedit). Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource

Look for: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\NTDBData and delete it.

if it is the 1.22 it will be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\NTDBData or perhaps the last thing is a number......