Garmin GPSMap 60CSX question

When we purchased our GPSMap 60CSX, we pretty much got within about 5 feet of any cache. Now, about 6-8 months later, we seem to be consistently off anywhere from 20 ft up. Anyone have similar problems, or know of a potential fix? (Yes, I realize a lot of things affect accuracy, but I'm using values that seem to be a trend.) Thanks! Mark

There is nothing wrong with a 20 foot accuracy, it's well within limits. Keep in mind that you are looking for coordinates that another unit arrived at. It might or might not have had a good signal at the time the reading was took.

People try to use their GPS to pinpoint a cache, when they should actually be using it to get within a 30 to 40 foot radious. After that is where your skill and the fun comes in.

El Diablo

Your unit has the electronic compass . . . IF that compass is ON, it will create an erratic and unrelable arrow/locator for nearing your target coords. It must be turned OFF . . . do that and you will smile, broadly.

When the GPSr window shows the compass - press & hold the 'page' button. A pop-up text will indicate that the compass is now either on or off - make your choice.

I sold my 60 CS and got a 60Cx, no electronic compass. It must have a purpose but for me, it had none.

Your unit has the electronic compass . . . IF that compass is ON, it will create an erratic and unrelable arrow/locator for nearing your target coords. It must be turned OFF . . . do that and you will smile, broadly.

When the GPSr window shows the compass - press & hold the 'page' button. A pop-up text will indicate that the compass is now either on or off - make your choice.

I sold my 60 CS and got a 60Cx, no electronic compass. It must have a purpose but for me, it had none.

I completely disagree. I have the 60csx model use the E-compass every outing. Occasionally it needs to be re-calibrated, but that takes about 30 seconds.

If you are using the compass correctly, it helps out alot. Once you get within the margin of error your GPS is experiencing at the moment, it will start to jump around, but you are at GZ anyway.

When we purchased our GPSMap 60CSX, we pretty much got within about 5 feet of any cache. Now, about 6-8 months later, we seem to be consistently off anywhere from 20 ft up. Anyone have similar problems, or know of a potential fix? (Yes, I realize a lot of things affect accuracy, but I'm using values that seem to be a trend.) Thanks! Mark

It is most likely NOT your GPS. There are all kinds of atmospheric problems that can degrade your margin of error. Another thing I have noticed has to do with the brand of gps (and the user) that set the coords. I find that my garmin is typically right on the money with other garmins. When I search for a magellan coord, I usually can't get any closer than 30-40 feet. Sometimes the cache owner was just lazy and didn't average out the waypoints. I have been having a heck of a time with a new local cacher who's coords are consistently off. Sometimes as much as 200 ft. I almost think they are intentionally posting soft cords, it is so consistantly bad.

I completely disagree. I have the 60csx model use the E-compass every outing. Occasionally it needs to be re-calibrated, but that takes about 30 seconds.

If you are using the compass correctly, it helps out alot. Once you get within the margin of error your GPS is experiencing at the moment, it will start to jump around, but you are at GZ anyway.

My feelings also, scuba dude. If you are hiking/walking in conditions that allow you to maintain a steady pace with good reception the electronic compass may be redundant. Under difficult conditions such as rock hopping, or very steep trails the compass has proved invaluable in maintaining the proper course. Have it set to shut off when you are able to maintain a good pace and calibrate it at each battery change and you're good to go.

I've seen my 60Csx show 9 feet on occasions.

But....

After 2 years with it....it seems to be getting slower for some reason.

The map redrawing is slowing down. I have the latest upgrades. The only thing I can figure out is that when I was up in Madison, WI...there wern't as many roads to show on the map as in Dallas, TX.

I've seen my 60Csx show 9 feet on occasions.

Today I was out caching in London, and my 60Csx was showing 6 feet accuracy, with 3 feet to the final cache location... I reckon it was about 6 inches out.... Good enough for me!!! :rolleyes:

P.