coin idea - is it possible?

i had an idea for a highlands geocoin. i have absolutly no idea if its possible to do, how much i may cost or how to go about it.

thats why im asking for any coiners from near pitlochry. my idea for the coin is for it to be made from heather.

a jewellery company called heathergems. see heathergems.com makes nice items of jewellery made from compacted heather wood.

from what it says on the website, they dont make special orders.

i think having a highland geocoin made from heather would be a really good idea.

like i said i have no idea what to do or anything, so im just wanting to open this discussion here and see what happens.

It's sounds a lovely idea, in theory.

In practice - Do you mean to have the coins made as a small batch of "signature items" to drop into caches,

or as proper trackable geocoins?

If it's the latter, you'll either have to buy a batch of tracking numbers from Groundspeak, or (if you're only thinking of a small quantity, like 10) you could buy 10 TBs and get the tracking numbers from the TBs moulded/engraved onto the coins.

MrsB B)

There are clear plastic cases available for round coins, saw one the other day - if you had it made to suit one of those it would help protect the heather wood.

We know what you mean, some of that jewelry is quite special, and would make a super coin.

L&H

It's sounds a lovely idea, in theory.

In practice - Do you mean to have the coins made as a small batch of "signature items" to drop into caches,

or as proper trackable geocoins?

If it's the latter, you'll either have to buy a batch of tracking numbers from Groundspeak, or (if you're only thinking of a small quantity, like 10) you could buy 10 TBs and get the tracking numbers from the TBs moulded/engraved onto the coins.

MrsB B)

i was thinking of making them proper trackable coins. which means i cant afford to go it alone. at this stage its still only an idea but if it could work and if we could get the company to make a batch of say about 100 or plus coins, that it could be a shared project, all coins made the same except for the tracking number, and members would pre order and pay then the coins would get made.

i hope im clear with this?

It is also to be noted that Groundspeak are looking at non-coin like trackable items and it might be better to explore this idea rather than force a 2 dimensional coin from heatherwood

As of Feb 26, 2008, Groundspeak changed the guidelines for trackable items. Specifically, we removed design consideration #4 which read "All coins must be predominantly two dimensional. We will allow raised design features and different shapes but, generally speaking, they must be flat."

We made the change to allow for unique concepts like GeoJems and some others that have been suggested to us over the past couple of years (coming soonish)...

At some point, we plan to have a category for generic trackable items (not limited to geocoins, for which there will remain a category) that will contain non-geocoin trackables (like trackable geopins).

For the time being, we're handling generic trackables in the same manner as we do geocoins for design approval, coin codes, icons, etc. They can be tracked on geocaching.com but they'll (for now) appear under the geocoin category.

Bob