Geocache Mapping

I periodically map my finds in Streets and Trips, as well as ArcGIS (which I have access to through work). The latter allows me to analyze data such as counties found, or calculate various other statistics, but it's too expensive to purchase a copy for personal use.

Is there anywhere to create or see a map that has just my finds on it?

I can't find anywhere on gc.com that will show only "my finds".

Is there a way to take a PQ of "my finds" and show them in Google Earth or in Mapsource? I don't have access to any other mapping programs.

Thanks

Is there a way to take a PQ of "my finds" and show them in Google Earth or in Mapsource? I don't have access to any other mapping programs.

Thanks

When you get your Premium Membership....

On your My Account page on the right is Build Pocket Queries. Click that link and you will see a button in the middle of the page that says "Add To Queue" under "MY FINDS.' Click that and check your e-mail about 10 minutes later. You will have a ZIP file of all your "found" caches.

Repeat: When you get your Premium Membership....

a3138597-76ec-47ce-a8bb-f4114dd6d825.jpg

Edited by Rattlebars

I downloaded a PQ of my finds. Then opened the file in GSAK. I exported the file into a Nat Geo Topo TPG file. I copied the map, then pasted it into Photoshop CS2 to reduce the size a bit.

This is what I came up with. :laughing:

th_All-finds.jpg

That is exactly what I want to do, but where you lost me is after you exported from GSAK.

I don't know what Nat Geo Topo is, and if it is a mapping program that I don't have, then I can't do it.

The tools that I have available are:

• geocaching.com
  • GSAK
  • Mapsource City Navigator
  • Google Earth

When you get your Premium Membership....

On your My Account page on the right is Build Pocket Queries. Click that link and you will see a button in the middle of the page that says "Add To Queue" under "MY FINDS.' Click that and check your e-mail about 10 minutes later. You will have a ZIP file of all your "found" caches.

Repeat: When you get your Premium Membership....

I am a premium member and know about PQ's, I use them a lot. I also get the "My Finds" PQ frequently for various reasons, I just haven't found a good way to display that info in a map format to see where I have been.

I downloaded a PQ of my finds. Then opened the file in GSAK. I exported the file into a Nat Geo Topo TPG file. I copied the map, then pasted it into Photoshop CS2 to reduce the size a bit.

This is what I came up with. :laughing:

th_All-finds.jpg

That is exactly what I want to do, but where you lost me is after you exported from GSAK.

I don't know what Nat Geo Topo is, and if it is a mapping program that I don't have, then I can't do it.

The tools that I have available are:

• geocaching.com
  • GSAK
  • Mapsource City Navigator
  • Google Earth

I use Kit Fox's method with either MS Streets & Trips or MapPoint. You should be able to do just about the same thing using City Navigator. In fact, I'm pretty sure that MapSource can open a .gpx PQ file without converting it in GSAK. Give it a shot. Edited by sbell111

Thanks

I Export a filtered .gpx or .gdb file in GSAK to be viewed in Mapsource. Using a graphics-editing program, like Corel PhotoPaint, I get some nice-looking maps.

However, there is another tool available at Keen People. I made some maps using their .gpx Maptool that I put in my Profile.

I use Kit Fox's method with either MS Streets & Trips or MapPoint. You should be able to do just about the same thing using City Navigator. In fact, I'm pretty sure that MapSource can open a .gpx PQ file without converting it in GSAK. Give it a shot.

That is what I was looking for.

I didn't know that you could open a PQ file from Mapsource. It worked.

Thanks,

Rick

Thanks

I Export a filtered .gpx or .gdb file in GSAK to be viewed in Mapsource. Using a graphics-editing program, like Corel PhotoPaint, I get some nice-looking maps.

However, there is another tool available at Keen People. I made some maps using their .gpx Maptool that I put in my Profile.

You can also drop it into Google Earth and view it there.

DeLorme's mapping programs allow direct import of GPX files.

What DeLorme map specifically, and is it a proram you have to pay for?

I went to Keen People after I read your post. I uploaded my finds, but there must have been a problem, because the map it showed after my upload was blank.

Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming!

I use GSAK and the MyGME macro available on the GSAK web site. It will create a Google map of any set of caches, including just your finds if that's what you want. With a couple of extra steps, you can put the map on your web site. I have used this recently as a way to share my adventures with friends -- who used to get my hking stories in email but aren't interested in learning to navigate gc.com just to follow me around. One example is Ladyface mountain.

Edward

This may not be exactly what your looking for and has been sort of already mentioned but I will throw it up anyway. I use the Delorme Earthmate PN-20 and it came with Topo 7 USA which allows me to save all my finds to a map file for viewing. It works off a "waypoint" layer in the software and this layer can be turned off if desired. It works great for me anyway.

Edited by Krieg's Bones

This may not be exactly what your looking for and has been sort of already mentioned but I will throw it up anyway. I use the Delorme Earthmate PN-20 and it came with Topo 7 USA which allows me to save all my finds to a map file for viewing. It works off a "waypoint" layer in the software and this layer can be turned off if desired. It works great for me anyway.

Here is an example of my Topo 7 waypoint layer

ec229f57-f3aa-4f2e-bc85-f441e10aa08d.jpg

I have made a link on my website that shows all my finds, when I found them and even gives links to the caches on geocaching.com. It is still a work in progress. I use my query from geocaching.com and run a macro in GSAK. I then use this information to make the webpage. View it HERE or acefaser.com

Let me know what you think. ace

I just noticed the Unknown caches are not showing. Should be fixed sometime soon.

mapsample.jpg

Edited by acefaser

I usually use GSAK to tidy and filter things then pop into Mapsource for most things. But even just loading up the gpx file from a PQ into Mapsource, then clicking on View/View in Google Earth puts everything nicely into GE for taking a snapshot (or even going into GE Flight Sim :blink: for a flyby)

Edited by GSVNoFixedAbode