cheap or free CA topo map

I just got my Garmin 60CSx and I relly don't want to spend another $100+ for topo maps!

Is there a cheaper way I can just download a topo map for California only ?

I have also found some free downloads. I tried the Ibycus one from this forum, but found it isn't really a topo map

And i found this:

http://www.vr6.com/gps/map-dl.htm

Is that what I want to try?

I know I sound dumb, but hey I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance

Edited by carlrika

anyone have any experience with this vr6 map... is it a vector map... can I use it with MapSource US Topo 2008 and the MapSource 24K software... looking for a bit more detail for the wilderness areas in California that I backpack in versus the 100K maps of Topo 2008... thanks.

As I understand the vr6 CA map, it is a vector map as a single gmapsupp.img file of 1.1GB. Hence you will need a 2GB card, they're cheap. Because it's a gmapsupp.imp file it will work in your GPS but not Mapsource on your PC. After all, Mapsource is used to create gmapsupp.img.

The author has posted on this forum, try searching "+CA +Topo" or some other string you favor.

Here's how to get FREE 24K CA Topo Maps that work perfectly in Mapsource and can be uploaded to your Garmin. I use it on my Etrex Vista.

Here are the steps:

0) Read all of the steps BEFORE going through the steps. After you download the Topo maps, the remaining steps should take less than an hour.

1) DOWNLOAD the California 24k topo maps from here:

California 24k Topo Map Data

2) CREATE a folder on your computer as a workspace for the map project. Mine is under My Documents / My Garmin / Garmin Custom Maps. Place the GMAPSUPP.IMG file in that folder. We'll call it the custom maps folder for now on.

3) You need to breakup the GMAPSUPP.IMG file to smaller IMG maps that Mapsource can easily digest. DOWNLOAD a program called: GPSDaemon from here:

GPSDaemon

(Yes it's in Russian -- don't get scared)

CLICK on GPSDaemon

CLICK on the Second link to the left (Ckayatb v.1.6.2)

DOWNLOAD the GPSDaemon.Zip file

UNZIP the FILES and put it in your custom maps folder

4) Run the GPSDaemon program.

CLICK on MapSource File (on the right)

CHANGE: Path to GMAPSUPP.IMG to reflect where you put it. In my case, the custom maps folder.

CLICK on Create Map List - This should bring up a list of 423 maps

CLICK on Select All

CLICK Map Extract - START

After a few minutes, you should have a new folder called MAPS with the 423 sub maps.

(Remember this location, you'll need it for step 9)

5) Now you have to tell Mapsource were everything is located and how to interact with it.

DOWNLOAD a program called cGPSmapper. It is located here:

cGPSMapper

UNZIP the files and put it in your main custom maps folder.

6) DOWNLOAD a program called MapSetToolKit

It is located here:

MapSetToolKit

UNZIP the files and put it in your main custom maps folder.

7) Okay, now you're ready to get those maps into Mapsource by using the MapSetToolKit Program.

LOAD the following webpage to make the following instructions easier:

Instructions

8) Run MapSetToolKit

9) CLICK ON Select IMG files. BROWSE until you see the folder where the 423 submaps are located. Select it. ALL the IMG files should pop up.

CLICK Select all

CLICK Add -->

All the Selected files should now be in the RIGHT BOX

10) You're now filling in the Create MAPSET box

Mapset Directory. CLICK on the ... and point it to your custom folder

Mapset Name: California Topo 24k --- or whatever you want to call it.

Family ID: 7665 (Or any number that's not a current Mapsource # )

Product Code: 1

11) Tell MapSetToolKit where the cgpsmapper program is located. BROWSE until you find it. It should be located in your custom folder.

12) OPTIONS - Click on BOTH boxes - Install in Mapsource and Blank overview Maps.

13) CLICK Start. After a few minutes it should terminate. CLOSE all the programs.

14) RUN Garmin's Mapsource. You will have a new set of maps called "California Topo 24k or whatever you named it.

Enjoy.

I posted a version that will install to mapsource where you can pick and choose segments and include it with other maps: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/28

-Oz-, Thank you for your hard work. The addition of the detailed contour lines is fantastic. It works great with City Nav NT as well as the topo maps on my Colorado 400t. I have two profiles setup for geocaching. One is with the (topo) shading on and the other is with the shading turned off for easier viewing. The addition of the extra contour lines to both is very, very nice. This makes for a much more useful map IMHO. I was surprised to find that when hitting the options button to select maps that there is separate options for the contour lines and the street data with your maps. Very cool! I find that leaving the street data off and using the contour lines only is the best option to use with my existing maps. I am a very happy camper with this extra detail. Thanks again!