Allegany State Park Geobash 2008

ATMouse

Don't know how many of you are planning on coming to this event, but this looks to be a big one.

This year will be different from last year in that there are no event caches. There will be new permanent caches put into place at the park to coincide with the event. There will be a prepared 100, 50 and 25 cache loop set up for folks who wish to try the "cache machine" thing.

All this, plus dedicated children's activities, a couple of presentations on paperless caching and such, a Coin Expo (with coins to give away) a big Raffle, an event coin, and donation-only meals.

What's not to love?

Edited by ATMouse

To date over 400 have signed up!

There are lots of new permanent caches - eight new night caches - four each night, new earthcaches and even more traditional caches.

Lots of stuff for the younger cachers

There are some terrific raffle prizes

There is a native American storyteller at the bonfire Saturday night telling tales of the area

Check us out

www.aspgeobash.com

We'll miss you Hopping Crow.

The 25, 50 and 100 cache loops have been published on the website for anyone who wants to "get ready" , "get set" before they "go".

The loops do NOT contain any of the new caches being released in the park on Friday and Saturday in time for the event - so there are even more coming!!!

I had planned with a friend to attend this, but alas I am playing in a golf tournament that is in my father's honor, so I need to be there. Hopefully next year though!

Wow! The tournament for your dad is much more important.

While I think we're gonna go mega with this event, family outrates it by a jillion miles! Good luck.

I had planned with a friend to attend this, but alas I am playing in a golf tournament that is in my father's honor, so I need to be there. Hopefully next year though!

While I think we're gonna go mega with this event, family outrates it by a jillion miles! Good luck.

Yeah, this one is pretty important to us. He was a big golfer and passed last August. There's a yearly memorial tournament and the Men's Assn. scrambled to put it in his honor this year (his retirement gig was working at the course). It's a pretty big honor, and I've even taken some vacation time around it to have some free time and all.

Crazy weekend though. I had originally planned to go to Allegany, then a friend is getting married this weekend, so I was planning one or two days at the Bash, then to the wedding... then the date for the tournament came out. So much in one weekend!

Next year though! I'll look forward to it!

(and I agree on the family thing -- in every walk of life!)

I am sure that this is way too far from my home but I'm curious - where is this being held? Is there an waypoint number attached to the event?

We have people coming to this event from West Virginia, from Ontario, Canada, from Ohio, from New Hampshire...I can't recall all the states at this moment.

GC17DYH

Allegany State Park Geobash III

We believe this will be Western New York's first mega event.

Yeah, this one is pretty important to us. He was a big golfer and passed last August. There's a yearly memorial tournament and the Men's Assn. scrambled to put it in his honor this year (his retirement gig was working at the course). It's a pretty big honor, and I've even taken some vacation time around it to have some free time and all.

Crazy weekend though. I had originally planned to go to Allegany, then a friend is getting married this weekend, so I was planning one or two days at the Bash, then to the wedding... then the date for the tournament came out. So much in one weekend!

We agree...that's why our event is so family centered!

Good thoughts for the tournament and for you. I miss my dad every day and he's been gone for over 20 years.

I am sure that this is way too far from my home but I'm curious - where is this being held? Is there an waypoint number attached to the event?

We have people coming to this event from West Virginia, from Ontario, Canada, from Ohio, from New Hampshire...I can't recall all the states at this moment.

GC17DYH

Allegany State Park Geobash III

We believe this will be Western New York's first mega event.

Pennsylvania!!!!!!! :) We WILL be there!!!!

Edited by PeachyPA

Good thoughts for the tournament and for you. I miss my dad every day and he's been gone for over 20 years.

Not sure how the weather was for you guys this weekend, but I hope it was good enough where you all had a blast. I'll look forward to planning this into my calendar next year for sure and hopefully it won't coincide with a golf tournament or something again!

(oh and I think we made our pops proud if he's looking down -- me and my brother won our flight at the tournament, which was quite cool to be able to do it in this one).

Not sure how the weather was for you guys this weekend, but I hope it was good enough where you all had a blast. I'll look forward to planning this into my calendar next year for sure and hopefully it won't coincide with a golf tournament or something again!

(oh and I think we made our pops proud if he's looking down -- me and my brother won our flight at the tournament, which was quite cool to be able to do it in this one).

If you read the logs so far, folks didn't seem to think we got enough rain to matter very much!

Congrats to you and your brother and what sounds like a very successful tournament!

rain didn't hold us back too much! I am very, very glad booked a cabin with heat this year. activities went on as planned. had so much fun at the event. really liked the store preorders so stopping in the store was very simple. glad the caches were perm. this year although we didn't really head out for too many new ones. night caches were cool-at least the ones we did. My biggest favorite thing-love that the event is DOG friendly (and pig friendly). Very well organized and lots of prizes that maybe next year I'll win one of! was there last year as well. liked the new location. seemed to have more room.

When I left to go home sunday after pancakes was 500 people signed in-did it go mega??

thanks all for putting the event together and all the people who volunteered their time to make it run smoothly. thanks to bluejaytoo and wes for agt passport validations at the event. got my 10th coin there. great meeting so many cachers some new and some old and some I only see at the geobash.