Help! My Son Ate My GPS

Whilst out caching on Sunday I gave my two year old son the GPS to hold whilst he was on my shoulders. On arrival back at the car I noticed it was a bit slobbery.

Then yesterday when I fired her up she wouldn't find any satellites despite being in totally open ground. It was then that I noticed that the rubber at the top of my Garmin GPS 60 had been chewed through and the underlying plastic exposed.

So my question is can I replace the rubber - a quick google suggested not or will a bit of tape work. I tried the tape option last night and had partial success in that it found two satellites but never locked on.

Any help would be greatfully received

Gary

Have you tried getting a signal on your son? It can work like that... :D

I have tried but it did nasty things to his nappies B)

I have never laughed so much for weeks in this forum until I read that and Paul's reply...

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Pleased to be of service :D

To be fair to my son when I gave it to him I didn't say don't eat.

I have just purchased an external aerial but would love to get the ole girl up and running as before so help still appreciated.

Edited by garyhoney

Mongers is right.... just don' tell them how it happened, and I'm sure they'll repair it for nowt,,, they may give you an estimate to respair it, but in the past, others have never been charged!

If it's got teethmarks on it Garmin will think you ate it!

I say tell 'em the story -see if it pulls at their heartstrings, and they say they'll repair FOC (Free of Charge)

G

Many thanks for all your replies on and off line

So far no bids on my son :D

I have managed to fix the antenna with electrical tape. After some trial and error it seems there is a plastic disc on the top of the antenna that needs to be held firmly down. I successfully trialled my GPS under tree cover and she got me to within 25ft.

Many thanks again.

Gary

I successfully trialled my GPS under tree cover and she got me to within 25ft.

Ye Gods.... you don't really trust anything female to navigate, do you?

:o;):huh:

Of course it's female!! If it were male you'd still be walking around in circles lost and it would be refusing to ask for help finding directions!!!

Naomi :o

Edited by mousekakat