Is a GPS required to go Geocaching?

Blackfoot17

To tell the truth, I'm still new to the sport, but I have found a couple geocaches without one. For the most part, a good familiarity with a given place in or around a city and a zoomed in map will do fine, but for cacheing where there aren't roads or lots of obstacles, you'll probably need one. After a while, I think you'll enjoy using one even if you don't "need" it.

No.

Some use compass and maps.

Some use Google Earth.

Some just use local knowledge.

Some use a variety of methods.

Just a quick question please because I'm a newbie on this sport. If I use google earth or any other method instead of a gps, is that considered unfair??? Do i break any rule of the game?

No.

Some use compass and maps.

Some use Google Earth.

Some just use local knowledge.

Some use a variety of methods.

Just a quick question please because I'm a newbie on this sport. If I use google earth or any other method instead of a gps, is that considered unfair??? Do i break any rule of the game?

No. The only guideline you have to watch is the one that requires the use of a GPS to place a cache and report the coordinates.

A GPS makes it all much easier but nothing wrong with finding them any way you can.

Nope. If you can find caches without a GPS unit, great. I have a hard enough time finding them with a GPSr sometimes.

Using a GPSr is required for placing a cache however. Google Earth, or Google Maps, are just not accurate enough for that.