Bookmark lists Regarding NYS DeLorme Challenge

Ziggy Crew

First, I must say...

"I am sorry for advertising my NYS DeLorme Challenge on other people’s cache pages."

I am the owner of the NYS Delorme Challenge.

I did not realize that this would cause a problem. Since I live in the southern part of the state, and when the listing became active, I wanted to let everyone in the state know that they had a fair chance at being FTF like so many enjoy being. I also thought that It might be a way for others to spark up a conversation at about the challenge at events to see if others knew about it and to see how far along they might be. The bookmarks were meant to be purely innocent.

Some people took offence to the bookmarks. They would email me requesting that I remove the bookmark because of one reason or another. And I would do so with no hesitation. I might have missed one or 2, and if I did to anyone that is reading this, I do apologies. But others took to the bookmarks really bad and posted their own bookmark list saying to boycott the challenge. So be it. if that is what you would like to do. It is our 1st amendment right to free speech. It doesn't bother me. Others have made comments on my bookmark list, which I truly never noticed until today, that were less then pleasing to see. So I did the right thing and I removed all the bookmarks and archived the bookmark list as I did not intend to upset anyone.

The second part of this is about the final location. Just about everyone that did complete the challenge with the exception of carels had some kind of trouble locating the final cache location. Off by so many feet. crossing the parking with the final. Messing up the lock combo. I have dyslexia, and I transpose numbers and letters quite often. I had to write this with MS word and use spell check to be sure I have everything right in here. Again I do apologize to those that I may have caused grief in searching for the final. I have seen and read comments that again were unpleasing to read.

In ending. I hope that everyone can forgive me, and move on to the real game of geocaching and have fun with it.

Thanks, Ziggy Crew

Edited by Ziggy Crew

We have a DeLorme Challenge here south of the border in New Jersey and having the bookmarks available has proved invaluable in administering the tour. Just can not imagine how anyone would be upset about their cache being bookmarked in this manner.

You can always make your book mark "shared" but not "public". That way your DeLorme cache committee will have access to it for checking your finds yet it will not appear on the cache page to annoy the cache owner.

Best of luck with whatever you come up with

Huh, as Frodo stated, in NJ there are Bookmark list for the DeLorme and County challanges held by dozens of player. I've never heard of anyone complain about this. In fact, I've herd people mention that they like to look at the lists to see how others are doing.

So what exactly is the issue.

This cache has six or seven bookmarks for the DeLorme Challange. :) ???

Edited by ekitt10

Huh, as Frodo stated, in NJ there are Bookmark list for the Delorme and County challanges held by dozens of player. I've never heard of anyone complain about this. In fact, I've heard people meantion that they like to look at the lists to see how others are doing.

Its not actually about personal cachers list that are trying to complete the challenge.

As the cache owner, I posted a list of rnadom caches around New York state to get the word out about the challenge. Thats where people were geting puset saying I was advertising my cache pgae.

Ziggy,

Keep your head up and keep on hiding caches - no harm in what ya did. I just moved back to the area and once I get some time (ya know the same ol' - wife, kids, dog, work, yard, family, sports, yadda yadda yadda) I plan on finding all of them!!!! lol

Orange / Sullivan county line resident.

Huh, as Frodo stated, in NJ there are Bookmark list for the Delorme and County challanges held by dozens of player. I've never heard of anyone complain about this. In fact, I've heard people meantion that they like to look at the lists to see how others are doing.

Its not actually about personal cachers list that are trying to complete the challenge.

As the cache owner, I posted a list of rnadom caches around New York state to get the word out about the challenge. Thats where people were geting puset saying I was advertising my cache pgae.

I see the list was deleted. I do remember it though, and the last time (probably only a month ago), it was loaded with negative feedback. :) I personally didn't leave any, but I will agree with the consensus of feedback givers that I've never seen a bookmark list used to advertise a cache. You've listened to the feedback, and removed caches from the list when asked (before deciding to delete it completely), so I don't see a problem there.

I wish I knew a better option for you to spread the word. N.Y. State is sort of fractured into several regional geocaching organizations, I guess you could try to promote it through them, most of whom are in the pinned thread at the top of this Northeast Forum.

I still don't see what the probelm is. Who really cares if a NEW YORK cache is advertised on a cache page? (There are much bigger issues in the world than to worry about something as trivial as this.)

Ziggy -- you've done a fine job in establishing this cache, maintaining it, and holding finders to a degree of honorability. I applaud you.

First, I must say...

"I am sorry for advertising my NYS DeLorme Challenge on other people’s cache pages."

I am the owner of the NYS Delorme Challenge.

I did not realize that this would cause a problem. Since I live in the southern part of the state, and when the listing became active, I wanted to let everyone in the state know that they had a fair chance at being FTF like so many enjoy being. I also thought that It might be a way for others to spark up a conversation at about the challenge at events to see if others knew about it and to see how far along they might be. The bookmarks were meant to be purely innocent.

Some people took offence to the bookmarks. They would email me requesting that I remove the bookmark because of one reason or another. And I would do so with no hesitation. I might have missed one or 2, and if I did to anyone that is reading this, I do apologies. But others took to the bookmarks really bad and posted their own bookmark list saying to boycott the challenge. So be it. if that is what you would like to do. It is our 1st amendment right to free speech. It doesn't bother me. Others have made comments on my bookmark list, which I truly never noticed until today, that were less then pleasing to see. So I did the right thing and I removed all the bookmarks and archived the bookmark list as I did not intend to upset anyone.

The second part of this is about the final location. Just about everyone that did complete the challenge with the exception of carels had some kind of trouble locating the final cache location. Off by so many feet. crossing the parking with the final. Messing up the lock combo. I have dyslexia, and I transpose numbers and letters quite often. I had to write this with MS word and use spell check to be sure I have everything right in here. Again I do apologize to those that I may have caused grief in searching for the final. I have seen and read comments that again were unpleasing to read.

In ending. I hope that everyone can forgive me, and move on to the real game of geocaching and have fun with it.

Thanks, Ziggy Crew

People gotta chill out!

Thanks for placing the challenge, creating a cache, trying to let us have fun!

Just adding my two cents worth in support of Ziggy Crew. I place my caches so others get enjoyment out of them, not to have a possession. Log a find, don't log a DNF, write a note...whatever makes you enjoy the game...just don't be offensive to others. Play the game, let others play their way, enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff. At least on my caches!

Ziggy,

Keep your head up and keep on hiding caches - no harm in what ya did. I just moved back to the area and once I get some time (ya know the same ol' - wife, kids, dog, work, yard, family, sports, yadda yadda yadda) I plan on finding all of them!!!! lol

Orange / Sullivan county line resident.

:D-->

QUOTE(brian b @ May 2 2008, 06:10 AM) 3456034[/snapback]

I still don't see what the probelm is. Who really cares if a NEW YORK cache is advertised on a cache page? (There are much bigger issues in the world than to worry about something as trivial as this.)

Ziggy -- you've done a fine job in establishing this cache, maintaining it, and holding finders to a degree of honorability. I applaud you.

People gotta chill out!

Thanks for placing the challenge, creating a cache, trying to let us have fun!

Just adding my two cents worth in support of Ziggy Crew. I place my caches so others get enjoyment out of them, not to have a possession. Log a find, don't log a DNF, write a note...whatever makes you enjoy the game...just don't be offensive to others. Play the game, let others play their way, enjoy and don't sweat the small stuff. At least on my caches!

Thank You!!! :huh: