Newbie in the game..

good day. I am looking to purchase a starter GPS. I am in Iraq and found this wonderful hobby and want to do it with my kids when I get back in a few months for my mid tour leave. I have been looking all over and really don't know what to buy. Any suggestions would be great and what would even be better is if you had one to sell me at a good price. I will have to ask that you will work with me on payment as I can only do paypal from my checking account or if you are a reputable dealer and have a website we can work something with my CC. I can't get into my ebay account since it's been so long I can't remember my password and ebay has been no help in recovering it so if you are listing it on ebay I won't be able to buy it from there. Let me know what you think I should get and like I said even better if you have something for sale. Thank you.

John

good day. I am looking to purchase a starter GPS. I am in Iraq and found this wonderful hobby and want to do it with my kids when I get back in a few months for my mid tour leave. I have been looking all over and really don't know what to buy. Any suggestions would be great and what would even be better is if you had one to sell me at a good price. I will have to ask that you will work with me on payment as I can only do paypal from my checking account or if you are a reputable dealer and have a website we can work something with my CC. I can't get into my ebay account since it's been so long I can't remember my password and ebay has been no help in recovering it so if you are listing it on ebay I won't be able to buy it from there. Let me know what you think I should get and like I said even better if you have something for sale. Thank you.

John

John sorry I am new to geocaching myself so really could not recommend what to get. That being said I just wanted to say THANK YOU for the job you and all our brothers in arms serving all over the world to protect us.

This is one American that gives full support for what you men and woman are doing. God Bless You All

<snip>Let me know what you think I should get and like I said even better if you have something for sale. Thank you.

John

Check out the Garmin website and their "comparison page" to see what is offered with the new 'H' units that have the High Sensitivity receivers. Some of these are very reasonably-priced, although the least expensive ones connect to a computer with the Serial Port. I recommend getting one of these newer models that connects with USB. The Legend HCx is the best, most full-featured models in this new "family" of GPS units. It sells for under $200 now.

John,

I'd advise that you get a GPSr while you are in Iraq and practice before you get home. I was in Baghdad in 2007 and I did a bunch of Geocaching there. There are over 120 GeoCaches in Iraq and quite a few in Kuwait.

-ea6bflyr B)

Edited by ea6bflyr

I recently upgrade from the original Garmin eTrek to the eTrex Venture HC. I love this unit. Easy to use.

John

John,

I'd advise that you get a GPSr while you are in Iraq and practice before you get home. I was in Baghdad in 2007 and I did a bunch of Geocaching there. There are over 120 GeoCaches in Iraq and quite a few in Kuwait.

-ea6bflyr :lol:

Are you kidding me? I never even thought to look in Iraq on the geocaching site? Hmmm....If the squadron commander finds out I am landing his helicoptors to look for a "cache" maybe he will go for it. Thanks for the tip

John

The garmin etrex series are really good. I currently have a garmin etrex legend. It gets the job done. Looking to upgrade though.

I am also in Iraq, on the VBC, my etrex legend comes with carrying case, all software, manuals, and cables. originally 200 dollars, looking to sell for 100.

Send me an email to armyaviation83@hotmail.com if you are interested. I am on Striker.

Thanks to all that offered up to help me out. I recently liberated a Garmin GPS 72 from some sources here on the FOB and think that it will fit the bill perfectly for a starter GPS. I will have to do a little more research and go with paper and maps and such but this will get me where I need to go for now. It seems to work fairly well and I actually found my first Cache today. Thanks again to all and see you on the boards.

John