Moving Travel Bugs and Geocoins Etiquet Question

Froboz

Say I find a travel bug in a cache in Indiana tommorow. It's mission is to travel as far as it can or to see the ocean.

I am flying from Indiana to California on Monday.

Would it be okay to take that bug with me on the plane, or should it travel overland.

I am unsure about TB's taking large jumps or if taking them on a plane ride is okay.

This is all theoretical but I just thought I would ask so I don't make a Gaffe.

Steve

Say I find a travel bug in a cache in Indiana tommorow. It's mission is to travel as far as it can or to see the ocean.

I am flying from Indiana to California on Monday.

Would it be okay to take that bug with me on the plane, or should it travel overland.

I am unsure about TB's taking large jumps or if taking them on a plane ride is okay.

This is all theoretical but I just thought I would ask so I don't make a Gaffe.

Steve

Unless the cache page specifically says not to take the TB on the plane, I think its ok.

I have one in Norway right now that wouldn't have gotten there any other way!

Unless the bug has a goal to visit as many caches as possible go for it! I picked one up in Maryland that had a goal of Hawaii so I dropped it in a cache on the Pacific coast of Oregon the next day. I was saddened that the TB went missing from there.

One of my TB's (Floppy Copy) has been travelling around England for about a year. It started in Oregon.

tomfuller & Quill

Crescent, Oregon

By all means, take the traveller to California!! I'm sure the owner will be thrilled. (Again, unless they specificially say something about not travelling by plane.)

It sounds like you are getting both goals accomplished in one move! Nice. Car or plane, there really is no difference as long as it moves. The only way you shouldn't move them is by mail.

FWIW - some TB/GC owners are ok with snail mail hops. I just wouldn't do this without express permission. :P

By all means, take the traveller to California!! I'm sure the owner will be thrilled. (Again, unless they specificially say something about not travelling by plane.)

It sounds like you are getting both goals accomplished in one move! Nice. Car or plane, there really is no difference as long as it moves. The only way you shouldn't move them is by mail.

FWIW - some TB/GC owners are ok with snail mail hops. I just wouldn't do this without express permission. :P

It's funny I found a travel bug with a see as many states as possible, by Xmas 2006. So I nabbed it, gonna check to make sure it hasn't been to California, and I will take it there, if it has I will put it back in an Indiana Cache today.

As long as the jump is appropriate to the TBs mission, big, cross country jumps via plane are often a lot of fun for the TB owner. (Obviously, you wouldn't want to take a TB half way across the country if it is close to fulfilling a goal locally.)

I have had a few of mine picked up here in CA and taken to the east coast in one giant leap -- great fun! I very much enjoy having my bug get out and see the world (with me tagging along vicariously).

As mentioned, as long as the owner hasn't put a restriction on the bug's travel, go for it.