Cache Placement Question

RussellM

Ihave been planning a difficult geocache placed on an island on a fast moving river. It would be easily accessible with a rugged water craft (anything from a kayak to an inner tube). Before i go actually place this cache, I would like to run it by someone of sufficient authority. I'll be placing the cache in NY. Also, I plan on mentioning that the cache is accessible by land, with the proper skills/daring.

Who do i talk with over with?

Thanks

Russell

If the location is a legally accessible area, let your own judgment be your guide.

Make sure to be very clear on the cache page regarding potential hazards and give it the appropriate star ratings.. Some of us enjoy taking more risk than others.

Ihave been planning a difficult geocache placed on an island on a fast moving river. It would be easily accessible with a rugged water craft (anything from a kayak to an inner tube). Before i go actually place this cache, I would like to run it by someone of sufficient authority. I'll be placing the cache in NY. Also, I plan on mentioning that the cache is accessible by land, with the proper skills/daring.

Thanks

Russell

Thanks

Russell

Safety is up to each individual cacher to evaluate. Read the TOU. GC.com doesn't evaluate caches for safety. That would open up a legal Pandora's Box.

Geocaching, hiking, backpacking, and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a cache. Be prepared for Your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution. You assume all risks arising in connection with seeking a cache or any other related activity.

Edited by Prime Suspect

Thanks

Russell

So long as the cache is located in a legal hide spot, and so long as the Difficulty/Terrain rating of the cache reflects the physical hazards and special equipment needed, and so long as you explicitly state on the cache listing page that accessing your cache might involve facing some water hazards in a rough river, you should be fine. I own a great number of caches (my Psycho Urban Cache series and my Psycho Backcountry Cache series) located in potentially hazardous settings, and some in downright insane settings, and also where special gear, training and skills may be needed to reach the cache, and all bear a correspondingly high Terrain rating of 4.5 or 5, and all bear an appropriate Difficulty rating as well.