gc.com and Wherigo -- favicon and cache approval concern

Ranger Fox

Two observations for Groundspeak:

-- The favicon for Wherigo caches does not seem to work.

-- When a user has created a Wherigo cache, I imagine him/her creating the cache at gc.com and uploading the cartridge at Wherigo.com in the same hour. While the cartridge is released immediately, the cache will typically sit one or two nights before being released. This would be very problematic should the cache not pass review due to important reasons, such as being on private property, in a dangerous area, or whatnot. While the cache is waiting for review, whomever may have seen it on Wherigo.com could have downloaded the cartridge and played before the issue was resolved. This might not be a good thing.

I understand one way around it is for the owner to hide the cartridge listing until after the cache is published. However, it would be unreasonable to expect the owner to enable the cartridge listing within the same hour the cache is published.

===========

So, anyway, something easy to fix and one to mull over, at no extra charge.

Two observations for Groundspeak:

-- The favicon for Wherigo caches does not seem to work.

-- When a user has created a Wherigo cache, I imagine him/her creating the cache at gc.com and uploading the cartridge at Wherigo.com in the same hour. While the cartridge is released immediately, the cache will typically sit one or two nights before being released. This would be very problematic should the cache not pass review due to important reasons, such as being on private property, in a dangerous area, or whatnot. While the cache is waiting for review, whomever may have seen it on Wherigo.com could have downloaded the cartridge and played before the issue was resolved. This might not be a good thing.

I understand one way around it is for the owner to hide the cartridge listing until after the cache is published. However, it would be unreasonable to expect the owner to enable the cartridge listing within the same hour the cache is published.

===========

So, anyway, something easy to fix and one to mull over, at no extra charge.

You have a good point with the timing of cartridges vs cache approval. I'm not sure how to solve that one but maybe a solution will present itself as time goes on.

As for the favicon, you're talking about the little four-square geocaching logo by the URL, right? That shouldn't change to a Wherigo logo since you're still on the geocaching.com website. Let me know if I'm not understanding you correctly.

As for the favicon, you're talking about the little four-square geocaching logo by the URL, right? That shouldn't change to a Wherigo logo since you're still on the geocaching.com website. Let me know if I'm not understanding you correctly.

It's the icon that shows to the left of the URL in a browser and the same one that is saved with a bookmark. This icon is dependent upon the cache type listed on the page. If the page does not have a cache type, the gc.com icon is used instead. However, for Wherigo cache pages, no icon is being used. My guess is this is either controlled in the database or, most likely, some enumerator or lookup in the code referenced in the cache_details.aspx.cs page.

IE has always had problems with favicons, so I did not test using that browser. Firefox does a much better job recognizing and loading these, so I would recommend Firefox when testing this particular problem.

===========

As for the Wherigo linking, I have an idea. Supposing you are able to reference the Wherigo.com database from gc.com and vice-versa, there is a solution to this. Allow the user to enter the cache's GC in a text box on the post cartridge page. A drop-down list box (DDL) could be used instead, populating with the user's unapproved caches. This forms the link.

Now comes the problematic part: changing the gc.com code. When the ApproveListing() event fires (or whatever you call it), do a logic check for the cache type. If the type is Wherigo, do a query for the GC in the Wherigo.com database. If a record is found, set the flag to list the cartridge in the public list--the same one users can click manually.

I have taken this approach because it seems to involve the least code changes to both sites--especially gc.com.

Please add mega events to the favicon fix list as well. You may also want to test for the GPS Maze Adventures icon as well.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

favicons.jpg

Addendum: The first page without an icon is a Wherigo cache. The last one on the list is a mega event (GW5).

Edited by Ranger Fox

Had mentioned this same issue (the timing, not the icons) over in another area, and my fellow fox directed me this way. I guess you guys may have something planned, but if it's really up in the air, I'd like to make a suggestion. Where you can currently set Active/Inactive, maybe make a third state, Pending Cache Approval. Set 'em up as radio buttons, and if you select the third option you have to enter the GCxxxxx ID that it's waiting on.

While in that state, it would be invisible to normal searches, but GC reviewers could access the cartridge listing when following the link. Then, when a Wherigo cache publishes on GC.com, it could then trigger some sort of event on the Wherigo side of the house which would look for any cartridges pending on that cache's publication. As soon as it publishes, the state of the cartridge changes to Active.

I'm sure there are plenty of technical issues that would complicate things, but I think the over all structure of explicitly saying "this cartridge needs this cache to be published" is the best way to go. At least, until someone else presents a better idea. :mad:

I've just submitted our second Wherigo and basically I've created the cache page with hidden final co-ordinates (as you would with a multi) and asked our local approver to have a look and see if it's ok without publishing it.

He will then (hopefully) say it's fine and remove it from the review queue. I will then set the Wherigo active and ask the reviewer to publish.

This seemed to work fine last time as it was then published within a couple of hours anyway.

Even if someone did spot it on the Wherigo site I wouldn't be too concerned...

Where you can currently set Active/Inactive, maybe make a third state, Pending Cache Approval. Set 'em up as radio buttons, and if you select the third option you have to enter the GCxxxxx ID that it's waiting on.

While in that state, it would be invisible to normal searches, but GC reviewers could access the cartridge listing when following the link.

Why would I want to do that? :mad:

Where you can currently set Active/Inactive, maybe make a third state, Pending Cache Approval. Set 'em up as radio buttons, and if you select the third option you have to enter the GCxxxxx ID that it's waiting on.

While in that state, it would be invisible to normal searches, but GC reviewers could access the cartridge listing when following the link.

Why would I want to do that? :laughing:

As the number of caches for reviewers to review keeps increasing, I'm in favor of reducing the reviewers' workload. Looking at a cache twice, once to say the area is okay and the next to see it's time to publish it, is more work. I'd rather offload as much work as possible to the cacher.

Why would I want to do that? :laughing:

Speaking as a reviewer? (Not familiar with a lot of names and faces around here, sorry!) I would think, as a reviewer, you'd want to be able to view the cartridge mostly to verify that the link provided is accurate. If cachers are required to provide a link to the cartridge, I would expect reviewers to at least make sure the link goes to what appears to be the right cartridge on the Wherigo.com site. I'm not suggesting that they download it or verify it's correct or works or anything, just "Yep, it's there." That would be the extent of the reviewer involvement I'd see.

What I would expect is that the remainder of the process is fully automated by the server. Reviewer tells GC.com "Publish this Wherigo cache." The GC.com server publishes it, then sends a message to the Wherigo.com server saying "Hey, cache GCxxxxx just got published." The Wherigo.com server then does a scan of cartridges, looking for any that are marked "Publish when cache GCxxxxxx" publishes. If it finds any, it switches the state of the cartridge(s) to be Active.

I don't think this process adds any undue burden to the reviewer; heck, reviewers don't even have to do the URL sanity check if they don't want to. The idea would be for the process to be as completely automated as possible, so that publish on GC.com results in Activate on Wherigo.com for the appropriate cartridge.

I think there is a misunderstanding of the review process for Wherigo caches. We do not look at the cartridge. I would not know how to look at one if someone submitted a Wherigo cache. No training has been provided except "you don't need to look at the cartridge" and I do not own a Wherigo-compatible device.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest that anyone actually download and review the cartridges. I was, however, assuming there was a rudimentary check of "Is there a link, is there actually a cartridge behind this link, and does it actually go to Wherigo.com, or did they just Rickroll me?" If that's not the case, then the support for allowing reviewers to see cartridge pages that are in the "Publish when GCxxxxx publishes" state wouldn't be necessary.

In any case, automated simul-publishing would be great, however it's implemented (and with as little extra effort for our much-appreciated volunteers as possible (hopefully no extra)).

Please add mega events to the favicon fix list as well. You may also want to test for the GPS Maze Adventures icon as well.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing:

favicons.jpg

This is interesting, but I'm not seeing it. I get the standard 4-square favicon for all caches. I'm using Firefox.

Are you sure you're not running some sort of GM script to cause this? If so, I'd love a copy.

Are you sure you're not running some sort of GM script to cause this? If so, I'd love a copy.

As soon as I finish feeling like sulking in the corner, saying how moronic that was, I'll come back and join in a great laugh with everyone else. ... ... ...

Yes, I had forgotten about that GM script. It worked like it was actually part of the site itself, so I never noticed. After realizing the mistake, I modified the script to include the icons and adjusted the page title.

Sure, here's a copy of the script: http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/cachetitle.user.js

As a bonus for wasting your time, I'll forfeit a script I created for my private use. I noticed a lackey had begun to add waymarks to the gc.com Google map, but hadn't finished before part of the feature had been moved to production. Curious, I completed the rest of the work, stopping only when the next steps called for a big layout change. The script will put a Waymarking link at the top right of the map page. Click it to display the waymarks on the Google map.

http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/waymarks.user.js

... ... ...

If that's the worst mistake I'll ever make, I will consider myself blessed.

Sure, here's a copy of the script: http://www.devfolio.com/geocaching/cachetitle.user.js

Sweet.

Ironically, when I first installed it, it didn't work. Rather, it threw an error. A little digging and I found the script also modifies the title text of the page. That reminded me that I already had a script doing that. Turns out it was an earlier version of this same script, but it had a slightly different name so it wasn't overwritten by the new version. I removed the old one and all is well. Thanks! :P

Here's something that needs to be looked at:

There are two settings 'Active' and 'Publish'

If I set a cartridge to 'Active' and not 'Published' it still shows up when someone does an advanced search by Username. To me if a cartridge is not 'Published' it should not show up using ANY search what so ever. The only way a person should be able to have access to an 'Active'/'Unpublished' cartridge is via a direct link (like from a cache page) or via invitation.

Right now if I'm working on a cartridge and submit my cache for review I have to have the cartridge set to 'Active' before it'll get published. But in doing so, someone can do a search by username and download the cartridge prematurely.

Just something to look at.

Thanks

Hmmm...let me ask. Can (if given a direct link to the cartridge) a person download a cartridge that is not currently active? It would appear so, but I only have a link to one of my own inactive cartridges and am thinking because I'm the owner is why I'm able to do so.