Lame First Hides

It's not off-topic. In fact, if you can talk about vigilantes, it's way inside that fence... :D

The point was that one of your own uttered the word that the defenders dare not speak. :D

skywalk343d.jpg

So Sbell felt the "Force" for a brief moment in time (I don't like the name complainers).

May the Force be with you! :P

This post is definitely off topic. Why is it that you feel the need to post pictures from movies when you have no more arguments? This is at least the 3rd time in this thread you've done this.

TrailGators, please, no more off topic movie images posted.

This post is definitely off topic.

And this on topic? (I deleted the cricket part but KBI must have grabbed it before I did that - but at least he didn't flip out about it and added a humerous post of his own!)

<sound of crickets chirping>

<sound of bug spray>

Anyhow, the Force is symbology I have used many times to explain the feeling that someone gets when they place a great cache. It is definitely on-topic for newbie hiders. I'm sure they want the Force to be with them! :P

Edited by TrailGators
I'm still waiting for an answer from KBI...

To what? Tell me exactly what it is you want to know. You finally did be the honor of honestly answering my question; I will be happy to return the favor. :D

What do you think about this:

I think decoys are kinda lame. After all, if I look in a spot and the cache is not there, I don't require a decoy in the spot to tell me that the cache isn't there.

I have two reactions:

(1) I don't agree with Sbell's opinion.

I don't have a problem with his opinion, of course – it represents nothing more than an individual preference, and I am fully aware that each cacher's set of personal aesthetic preferences is unique – but neither do I agree with him that decoys are lame. I happen to think they are fun, in fact. One of my all-time favorite caches consisted of a series of four decoys, all within ten feet of the actual cache, and each one less obvious than the last.

(2) As I said before, I think your question is waaaaaaaay off topic.

I have no idea where you are going with this, but I strongly suggest you link whatever it is to the topic of this thread, and that you do so very soon – or you are likely to get yet another good thread locked down.

It's not off-topic. In fact, if you can talk about vigilantes, it's way inside that fence... :D

The point was that one of your own uttered the word that the defenders dare not speak. :P

<image deleted to reduce off-topic clutter>

So Sbell felt the "Force" for a brief moment in time (I don't like the name complainers).

May the Force be with you! B)

What word? :D Who told you you weren't allowed to use a word?

And what, exactly, does this have to do with eliminating and/or preventing "Lame First Hides?"

If you don't explain soon, I will stop participating in this exchange. I do not want to see another thread get closed down when you post your next irrelevant movie image. If your next post of an irrelevant movie picture does not result in thread lock, I may even report you myself.

If your next post of an irrelevant movie picture does not result in thread lock, I may even report you myself.
The movie picture was symbolic of the Force which I explained is what some cachers feel that allow them to place really fun caches. We are strive for that. So it's really not off-topic. I thought it was a fun way to express the concept, but for some reason it really bugs both of you guys so I won't post pictures anymore in this thread. The same way I won't hide a cache that would bug people. :P Edited by TrailGators
I bolded it (above) for you. The only reason that it was significant is because you said this:

People who take it upon themselves to publicly criticize other people's caches need to keep in mind that hiders enjoy placing caches for a wide variety of different reasons, and that seekers enjoy seeking caches for a wide variety of different reasons as well.

So should he take your advice?

I have no doubt that Sbell is not only fully aware of the concept expressed in my statement you quoted; I am also fairly certain, based on his previous posts on the subject of individual preference, that he agrees with it. I would like him to correct me if I am wrong.

Sbell merely expressed his personal opinion regarding cache decoys. He made it clear he does not enjoy them. He did NOT claim that OTHER cachers should not be allowed to enjoy decoys. He did NOT express any belief that certain cache hides shouldn't be placed merely because of his preference, the way the OP of this thread did.

There. I answered your question. Now it’s your turn:

The point was that one of your own uttered the word that the defenders dare not speak. :D

What word? :P Who told you you weren't allowed to use a word?

I guess you missed that question when I asked it earlier. Can you please tell me now? Who told you you weren't allowed to use a word?

I guess you missed that question when I asked it earlier. Can you please tell me now? Who told you you weren't allowed to use a word?
Sorry, but that's off-topic and if I answer it then Mushtang will report another thread. I deleted that post after I read what he wrote. I suggest that you do the same... :P Edited by TrailGators
Sorry, but that's off-topic and if I answer it then Mushtang will report another thread. I deleted that post after I read what he wrote. I suggest that you do the same... :P

You clearly implied there is some word that is not allowed. You implied it during your explanation as to why you were NOT being off topic with your comments.

You can't have it both ways. Were you posting off-topic, or weren't you?

If the prohibited-word comment you posted was NOT off topic, as you previously claimed, then please answer the question.

If the prohibited-word comment you posted WAS off topic ... then it isn't my posts that need deleting.

Sorry, but that's off-topic and if I answer it then Mushtang will report another thread. I deleted that post after I read what he wrote. I suggest that you do the same... :P

You clearly implied there is some word that is not allowed. You implied it during your explanation as to why you were NOT being off topic with your comments.

You can't have it both ways. Were you posting off-topic, or weren't you?

If the prohibited-word comment you posted was NOT off topic, as you previously claimed, then please answer the question.

If the prohibited-word comment you posted WAS off topic ... then it isn't my posts that need deleting.

I can't risk it. I'm not sure what's off-topic anymore so I need to be very cautious with your brother about to hit that button.
Can you guys take your disputes somewhere else? If you want to discuss the topic, feel free to stay. If you just want to nitpick each others posts, do it somewhere else.

Sorry, Quiggle.

You are exactly right. I made the same point myself when I pointedly ignored a certain question because it seemed to be completely off the subject, but ... when it got asked of me repeatedly, I began to suspect that maybe the person asking it was truly passionate about making a heartfelt topic-related point. Maybe it was because the person asking it SAID he was truly passionate about making a heartfelt topic-related point.

Turns out I was wrong; there was in fact NO topic-related point forthcoming, and my mistake was in disregarding my original instinct to ignore the question.

I’ve been through this before, and I should have known better. I have no excuse. I take full responsibility. :(

I started this thread based on the 1st hider comments that asking others to consider not expecting too much -is another way of saying "I really didn't try very hard on this one and I am not that proud of it" "But at least I got one out there" - why the token attitude and why not impress yourself and others by waiting until you can be proud of what you did. "I just wanted to get one out there so I can say I have one out there". Yes there are different ways to play but that is no excuse for sleeping on the dance floor. "Play the game - Hide the cache - pick a GOOD place". Don't be snoring in the middle of my movie!

I believe that you are reading too much into these comments. Way too much.

You may be 100% correct! I haven't heard from the people who have said "don't expect much" - just theories on it. It could even be, just what I wanted in the 1st place - admission that maybe I am falling short of what I could and I will great better after my first hide. What do you think it means.

I think it means "Here's a new cache. Come find it."

I started this thread based on the 1st hider comments that asking others to consider not expecting too much -is another way of saying "I really didn't try very hard on this one and I am not that proud of it" "But at least I got one out there" - why the token attitude and why not impress yourself and others by waiting until you can be proud of what you did. "I just wanted to get one out there so I can say I have one out there". Yes there are different ways to play but that is no excuse for sleeping on the dance floor. "Play the game - Hide the cache - pick a GOOD place". Don't be snoring in the middle of my movie!

I believe that you are reading too much into these comments. Way too much.

You may be 100% correct! I haven't heard from the people who have said "don't expect much" - just theories on it. It could even be, just what I wanted in the 1st place - admission that maybe I am falling short of what I could and I will great better after my first hide. What do you think it means.

The logs on your caches are your best feedback of how you did. There are many threads in here complaining about cut and paste logs or short logs. There are people that don't write much and that will never change. However, there are many people that will be very appreciative and will document their entertaining adventures if they have one. It's up to you if you want to create that kind of cache! :(

The logs on your caches are your best feedback of how you did. There are many threads in here complaining about cut and paste logs or short logs. There are people that don't write much and that will never change. However, there are many people that will be very appreciative and will document their entertaining adventures if they have one. It's up to you if you want to create that kind of cache! :(

If you want long logs you can do the following: Hide a small container in a lamppost near the dumpster behind a supermarket. In addition to the log book have strips of paper each with an unusual word on them. Make this an ALR cache where to claim a find you need to use the word in your log. Some people will still find a way to complain, while others will manage to have fun.

Some people will still find a way to complain, while others will manage to have fun.

And other people won't even bother to lift the lamp cover and will move on...

The logs on your caches are your best feedback of how you did.

I stand behind that statement.

Edited by TrailGators

If you want long logs you can do the following: Hide a small container in a lamppost near the dumpster behind a supermarket. In addition to the log book have strips of paper each with an unusual word on them. Make this an ALR cache where to claim a find you need to use the word in your log. Some people will still find a way to complain, while others will manage to have fun.

One of my favorite caches was a 'secret word' micro sort of like that. I'd like to see more of them.

Sbell didn't say "Decoys are kinda lame", he said "I think decoys are kinda lame". He can (and does) think whatever he wants. He shared his opinion because he was asked to do so. The "I think" that preceded his post made it abundantly clear that he was sharing his opinion.

You may not have noticed, but a LOT of posts on the subject of "lame" caches start with phrases like "Micros suck!" or "micros are lame!" or "LPCs are totally lame!".

I hope you can see the difference between a view stated as an opinion vs. one stated as a fact. :)

Sbell didn't say "Decoys are kinda lame", he said "I think decoys are kinda lame". He can (and does) think whatever he wants. He shared his opinion because he was asked to do so. The "I think" that preceded his post made it abundantly clear that he was sharing his opinion.

You may not have noticed, but a LOT of posts on the subject of "lame" caches start with phrases like "Micros suck!" or "micros are lame!" or "LPCs are totally lame!".

I hope you can see the difference between a view stated as an opinion vs. one stated as a fact. :)

I respectfully beg to differ. I honestly think every statement like that is an opinion. The "I think" part is implied. Some opinions are just wrapped prettier than others, but at the end of the day they all mean that those people don't enjoy those kinds of caches. What is interesting is that we never hear that some people think that ammo boxes "suck." Why is that? It's certainly not because it's a fact. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't like them... Edited by TrailGators

I respectfully beg to differ. I honestly think every statement like that is an opinion. The "I think" part is implied. Some opinions are just wrapped prettier than others, but at the end of the day they all mean that those people don't enjoy those kinds of caches. What is interesting is that we never hear that some people think that ammo boxes "suck." Why is that? It's certainly not because it's a fact. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't like them...

I dunno...maybe those of us who like micros are just very polite, and wouldn't dream of being so crass. I've noticed that people who like micros don't seem much inclinced to get their knickers in a knot about what size container someone else likes to use.

I respectfully beg to differ. I honestly think every statement like that is an opinion. The "I think" part is implied. Some opinions are just wrapped prettier than others, but at the end of the day they all mean that those people don't enjoy those kinds of caches. What is interesting is that we never hear that some people think that ammo boxes "suck." Why is that? It's certainly not because it's a fact. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't like them...

I dunno...maybe those of us who like micros are just very polite, and wouldn't dream of being so crass. I've noticed that people who like micros don't seem much inclinced to get their knickers in a knot about what size container someone else likes to use.

That's why I said "some opinions are just wrapped prettier than others." I like a lot of micros myself and the ones that I don't like I try to avoid. I'm not one that says that they "suck" because I know that there are more tactful ways of stating my opinion.

What is interesting is that we never hear that some people think that ammo boxes "suck." Why is that? It's certainly not because it's a fact. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't like them...

No. They just move beyond the container and complain about the hiding method or the contents.

Actually I have seen a few comments about ammo boxes looking more "threatening" than tupperware when it comes to muggles. For example, Maryland State Parks don't allow ammo boxes. They require that the container be clear plastic so that you can see the contents.

What is interesting is that we never hear that some people think that ammo boxes "suck." Why is that? It's certainly not because it's a fact. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't like them...

No. They just move beyond the container and complain about the hiding method or the contents.

Actually I have seen a few comments about ammo boxes looking more "threatening" than tupperware when it comes to muggles. For example, Maryland State Parks don't allow ammo boxes. They require that the container be clear plastic so that you can see the contents.

I love being in the outdoors so I'll never complain about an ammo can hide. I do admit that some ammo can hides hidden in a rock cairns that are so big and obvious that they look like someone buried their dog. Of course they did say difficulty of 1, so I was forewarned. But I'm in it for the hike and a cache along the way gives me an opportunity to take some photos and post them on that cache page.

I could see how ammo cans could look threatening to some people especially if they aren't painted. I can understand the MD rangers wanting to be able to see inside the container. Unfortunately, plastic will crumble into a gazillion pieces after being subjected to our desert heat. They do work fine in the cooler coastal areas.

Edited by TrailGators

WOW

My thoughts exactly! If there are any first time hiders reading this post I say to you: Just hide it!

I waited until I had 100 finds before hiding my first. I had a pretty good feel for the way things were done in my area but still managed to flub up on the first by "guideline" standards. (Even after reading them a gazillion times, they are pretty loose) The 2nd was put on NCGO's greatest hits list. So I say to all that desire the groovy first timer pride that is cache ownership, take your altoid containers and tupperware and find the lamest spot because dog gone it I love ya! You just gave me an opportunity for another smiley! Remember the only one you have to answer to is the reviewer. (and/or the property owner if you forgot to ask,lol) The cache snobs can go climb a mountain. :-p

There will always be someone trying to knock ya down or mess with you in any aspect of life. Even in the GAME you have grown to love!

CACHE ON!

Laineybug :-p

Edited by Laineybug