external antenna for hiking?

bmirak

I'm kind of obsessed with recording super-accurate tracklogs when hiking in the mountains. I always carry my 60csx in my hand while hiking to improve reception. Would an external antenna - say, clipped to my hat - significantly improve my accuracy, or would it just make me look like more of a geek?

One person in the forums wears a hard hat with a washer glued to it. He attaches the magnetic external antenna to that. Too much of a pain in the butt for me but then I don't record track logs. I believe that was before the high sensitivity receivers came out as well so perhaps he no longer goes to such lengths for a solid signal.

I have the Garmen mcx-25 antenna and it does make a differance if in deep forest .Sometimes I will either put my 76csx on my side to record a track log or else put it in the top pouch of my pack,and using the antenna means not having to worry about losing the signal.When hiking I have noticed that while holding the unit down by my side it will somtimes lose a signal.The antenna weighs nothing.You can also see a noticable differance inside your home sometimes almost double the signal strenght.

The biggest problem with external antenna's is that they need a ground plane to work properly.

Putting one on the roof of your car provides that ground plane. Putting one on your backpack or even on your hat does not.

That being said, they are amplified and should provide a marginally better signal (possibly with more noise). I tried one for a while while hiking and the only thing I noticed was the much lower battery life.

I had a friend accidentally leave his 60csx powered on inside his bag, which was inside the overhead compartment on an airplane. It tracked the entire flight! So I'm not sure how much an external antenna is going to matter with a high sensitivity GPS.

They do improve receptions slightly. If maximum accuracy is your goal, they can help in marginal conditions. The stock internal antenna is not the best.

I had a friend accidentally leave his 60csx powered on inside his bag, which was inside the overhead compartment on an airplane. It tracked the entire flight! So I'm not sure how much an external antenna is going to matter with a high sensitivity GPS.

They do improve receptions slightly. If maximum accuracy is your goal, they can help in marginal conditions. The stock internal antenna is not the best.

I guess my point is how accurate do you need it? Some inaccuracy adds some challenge to the game. If GPSs keep getting better, pretty soon we will be walking right up to each cache and not playing hide n' seek anymore.

I've carried two identical 60Cx units on trail runs through heavily canopied trails in Washington state. I do this to record tracks, and have done so on numerous occasions using a Gilsson antenna on one unit, and not the other. I have not seen any discernable difference between the tracks recorded with, or without the external antenna. If there is a difference, it is so small and to not justify the additional trouble (and battery life) of the antenna IMHO.

maybe the external antenna could be attached to a helium balloon and floated about you.

I've found my solution! Much cooler than attaching it to my hat, and no risk of brain cancer, either. The problem will be finding an antenna with a long enough cable - I'll want to loft it up there 20-30 feet for optimum accuracy.

I dont think it improves accuracy,but it does improve reception.I have only used it on one hike just to try it out,it just becomes another piece of gear to carry so I dont take it any more ,but as I said it does improve reception if that is your problem.You dont need to clip it to your hat and look like an idiot,just clip it to your pack strap.With regard to grounding,no,it works shows noticable improvment inside a fiberglass boat,where's the metal grounding their?

I guess my point is how accurate do you need it? Some inaccuracy adds some challenge to the game. If GPSs keep getting better, pretty soon we will be walking right up to each cache and not playing hide n' seek anymore.

The OP wants accuracy for data gathering, not Geocaching. For map data gathering, being able to stay below 5 meters EPE all of the time makes for the best maps. In heavily treed area or places where there are cliffs, this is not always possible. The antenna does help improve things especially if it is above your head.

I get lonely on solo hikes and have found the the iBlue 747 GPS receiver that is velco'd on to the bill of my hat is good for meeting folks on the trail. I have an antenna for it and have fiddled with it for a long time. I have never seen an appreciable difference in reception. Geek can be cool, if you can handle it.

Have you noticed that NO ONE above has said "NO, don't do it because it hurts reception" ?

Use an external antenna, and use velcro to stick it where ever you want, stealth placement or geeky obvious. There is no downside (including any noticeable shorter battery life) and the convenience alone of being able to have both hands free is worth it.

I map snowmobile and ATV and hiking trails and can have the GPS protected in an inside warm pocket, or deep down in the pack, or just anywhere out of my hands leaving them both free for driving, use of poles, or "4 point motivation", hanging on for dear life, or whatever.

The new high sensitivity chips will usually even maintain a good lock inside the upper portion af a pack or case. However, an externa antenna is a very convenient "insurance policy"