Ipaq HX2110 PDA & 3G mobile broad band

Hi All,

Anyone using these together?

The reason I ask is mobile phone access through bluetooth is a bit expensive. I do have a 3G Dongle which I use with my laptop. I'm wondering if I can attach to PDA looking at it I would need a cable or adapter that will join these together. My PDA only has Ipaq connecting port at the bottom and my Dongle connect to laptop via a small cable with USB into laptop and Small USB (like a standard camera connection dont know the name of type but I hope you know what I mean) to the Dongle.

Anybody using this I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks in Advance

TheWhoUk

I've been trying to find out if I can do the same. There seems to be some kind of suggestion on some sites I've found that suggests you can get adaptors and drivers for WM but I haven't been able to find anything concrete yet. I have a feeling it isn't possible but I'm going to keep trying :anitongue:

It seems like such a useful application to have a modem for a PPC that I can't understand why some of the telecoms companies haven't tried to grab this market.

You can buy a CF to USB socket adaptor - I've been looking at one to access a portable hard drive with my iPAQ - but they're about £70, and unpowered (so I'd need a separate powered USB hub on the end of mine) - but should work for your dongle... linky thing

This appears to provide a limited subset of USB devices by implementing a USB host controller. The devices supported are (As clearly stated on the link given...) USB HID devices and USB Mass storage devices.

It would be possible to write drivers for this device to support any USB device but I suspect it aint gonna happen.

You can buy a CF to USB socket adaptor - I've been looking at one to access a portable hard drive with my iPAQ - but they're about £70, and unpowered (so I'd need a separate powered USB hub on the end of mine) - but should work for your dongle... linky thing

This appears to provide a limited subset of USB devices by implementing a USB host controller. The devices supported are (As clearly stated on the link given...) USB HID devices and USB Mass storage devices.

It would be possible to write drivers for this device to support any USB device but I suspect it aint gonna happen.

...and the fact that it won't power my Passport drive means I'd do just as well with the lappy too - never mind - it was worth a look....

Would a Bluetooth 3G mobile be a possible way?

Yes if you can connect the IPAQ to the 3G mobile via say bluetooth, there are 2 options. Either get a 3G sim and pay monthly £10 per month on top of your normal contract for the Broadband lite service (not the Internet service) OR you can also do the same with a pay as you go 3 SIM, £10 gets 30 days access to the broadband lite add on service with a cap of 1Gbps. You can pay for more capacity if required. Make sure you pay for broadband add on as it is £1 per Mbyte if you don't.

We have successfully used a monthly contract 3G '3' phone with a laptop and a Nokia N95 with a pay as you go '3' SIM.

(You may find you can take the 3 SIM out of the 3 broadband dongle and put it into a 3G phone, I haven't tried this)

I bought my PAYG 3 SIM online via Quidco £9.99, got £4 Quidco rebate. The SIM had £10 credit which I used to buy 1 months broadband service :lol: