Geocaching and Maps

CacheBandicoots315

Hey all;

I am new to Geocaching. I havent even hunted for a cache yet, still just out in the middle of a field practicing saving Waypoints and finding my way back.

Anyhow my question is around Maps. I have the GPSMap 60CSx and understand I can get the TOPO 2008 on an SD card for use on the GPS unit itself, but dont I need a separate mapping package (like the National Geographic maps TOPO programs) for actual printing out of maps?

Just want to make sure i'm not overbuying, but it seems I need both the internal base map, as well as a mapping program to do some planning ahead of time and printing out of Topographical maps to take with me.

Also..I guess, does anyone have a recommendations on good Topographical map programs...right now the only one I've really been able to preview is the National Geographic TOPO maps.

Sorry if this question is too 'newbie-ish'

Thanks

Jeff

Welcome to the Forums! B)

I wouldn't buy the maps on the SD card. You want to get the DVD so you can load the maps on your computer/s. I have the Topo and City Navigator maps on both my laptop and desktop computers and use them all the time for preplanning, and for other purposes, like viewing the Tracks and Profiles of a hike.

National Geographic maps are great for printing detailed maps to take with you, but, alas, you cannot install those to the GPS unit.

If you don't have an auto unit, you might want to get the City Navigator auto-routing maps for that GPS unit.

You really don't need any maps on the GPS to find any cache anywhere. It sometimes makes things a bit easier but not required.

For years I used Microsoft Streets and Trips to do all of my planning at a cost of just about $20. These days I do alot of planning with Free Google Earth and pocket queries. Just bought the city Nav maps for the GPS last year but I find I don't use those a lot and still enjoy caching the most just by following the compass arrow.

You really don't need any maps on the GPS to find any cache anywhere. It sometimes makes things a bit easier but not required.

For years I used Microsoft Streets and Trips to do all of my planning at a cost of just about $20. These days I do alot of planning with Free Google Earth and pocket queries. Just bought the city Nav maps for the GPS last year but I find I don't use those a lot and still enjoy caching the most just by following the compass arrow.

do caches show up as little icons on the city maps on your gps? similar to the maps we see when we look at caches on geocaching.com?

do caches show up as little icons on the city maps on your gps? similar to the maps we see when we look at caches on geocaching.com?

Yes, if you have maps loaded on your GPS. The basemaps only show major highways.

This is very true especially if you do hiking caches.

I agree with Miragee. Get the CD so you can run it on your PC and GPS and if you want to create routes and print out trail and cache maps you can do it on your PC.

Mapsource Topo isn't nearly as detailed as other topo packages such as National Geographic Topo! but it is good enough.

I agree with Miragee. Get the CD so you can run it on your PC and GPS and if you want to create routes and print out trail and cache maps you can do it on your PC.

Mapsource Topo isn't nearly as detailed as other topo packages such as National Geographic Topo! but it is good enough.

My preferred GPSr is a PDA running BeeLine - no maps at all - just my bread crumb track and the direction arrow. In order to figure out where to park and the location use Microsoft Streets & Trips and a TomTom on a PDA.

Benefits of PDA with Beeline - integration of GPSr and a Cachemate like product - just tap the icon and voilà - the the GC log page - hints and the whole kit and caboodle.

Now for full disclosure "I DO NOT DO ANY CACHES ABOVE A TERRAIN RATING OF 3.5", physical restrictions

Optimized route on K2 - not for me...

voyageurs60

I just bought the CO version of the National Geographic TOPO program and it will work very well for geocaching. You can actually load the GPX file right onto the map, and the caches show up! Very easy to upload waypoints onto your GPS too. I have a Mac and the Garmin map programs don't work well. I also bought the City Navigator SD card, very convenient, just plug into your GPS and go. Nice when you travel, as it will tell you all the nearby restaurants, attractions and so on.

I use Topo 2008 for my GPSmapo 60 CSx, but I use NatGeo for printed maps that I use as backup. Plus, some sites (like the Sierra Club Hundred Peaks Club in SoCal) haven't converted their online maps to GPX yet. Their maps are in NatGeo format.

As other people have noted, you can't load NatGeo maps into a Garmin. However, you can export breadcrumb tracks from a Garmin and import them as map overlays into NatGeo.

Edited by imajeep