GPSmap 60CSx

I've sent email to Garmin. Contacting them on the phone is an hour wait. Hoping the folks here can help. My unit has worked wonderfully until this weekend in Maine. Our first day we geocached and used the maps to find our way around town with NO problems. On our second day after breakfast we headed to a cache we planned to do. Turned the unit on and it powered up to the first screen then powered off. Changed batteries, connected to AC in car with same results. The people at LL Bean couldnt help me either. Anyone have simular problem?

I've sent email to Garmin. Contacting them on the phone is an hour wait. Hoping the folks here can help. My unit has worked wonderfully until this weekend in Maine. Our first day we geocached and used the maps to find our way around town with NO problems. On our second day after breakfast we headed to a cache we planned to do. Turned the unit on and it powered up to the first screen then powered off. Changed batteries, connected to AC in car with same results. The people at LL Bean couldnt help me either. Anyone have simular problem?

You using lithium batteries? My unit would do that with those batteries, went to regular batteries and it was solved.

We've tried regular batteries. We've tried using no batteries and the AC cord in the car. We've tried connecting directly to the computer. All with the same results. Powers on to the 1st screen (where my name and address is), then powers off. I've had this unit for over a year with no problems.

Edited by 3wildwomen

My 60CSx did that a month ago. I had heard the battery terminals spring-loaded against the PC board could cause this. So, since I was probably going to have to send it back anyway, I took it and twisted it as though I were "wringing water out of it", not ridiculously hard, but with some force and - its been working since.

I'm not sure it will fix your problem, but it may relieve sone stress!

I live in SE Mass as well if you'd like me to look at it if you cannot get it to work or have a hard time calling Garmin. BTW, mine was about a year old also.

Thank you all for the suggestions. SD card has been removed (several times) and replaced. It is placed correctly. Tried the hard reset and it still did the same thing, however when I pressed enter and page it went to the satalite page and I was hopeful, but alas it powered off shortly after.

YBlee I even tried your wringing method but I was afraid to get too frustrated with it and really do some damage! I love this unit and am sad it's not working. Just as some prime caching weather is starting to hit.

I think I'll head over to EMS where I bought it and see if they can help. In the meantime, perhaps Garmin will get back to me. I searched the Garmin site to try and troubleshoot the problem myself but came up with nothing.

HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally got ahold of a person at Garmin. They had me do a master reset. If anyone experiences my problem try this:

Hold down quit, menu, page out and power button all at once for about 5 seconds. At first nothing happened when I released, but he had me hit the power button again and WA-LA!!!! She powered up!!!! Lost my waypoints, but thats OK. Saved my maps so it looks like I'm good to go. Will let you know if I have further problems.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

HAPPY DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally got ahold of a person at Garmin. They had me do a master reset. If anyone experiences my problem try this:

Hold down quit, menu, page out and power button all at once for about 5 seconds. At first nothing happened when I released, but he had me hit the power button again and WA-LA!!!! She powered up!!!! Lost my waypoints, but thats OK. Saved my maps so it looks like I'm good to go. Will let you know if I have further problems.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Looks like Red90 had it right! Glad you got your unit working, happy caching.