Ok.. Tom Tom ONE v3 Question

Kinkaid

I got my hands on a Tom Tom ONE v3 for Geocaching and it has the ability to input coordinates to find the caches that are one offs. My question is this, is there a way to use it to find multicaches that require projected waypoints?

I have seen the Offroad Navigator Software mentioned, but cant really tell if this software provides this functionality.

Anybody using this combo successfully?

I did search on the forums but nothing really came up that answered this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--K

Nevermind this question.. Im returning the Tom Tom tomorrow morning and will be considering the Garmin Colorado or the 60CSx. Anyone want to chime in on preferences?

I use both the TomTom One and the 60csx, the TT is great when you load a POI file from GSAK. It takes me right to the area while my 60csx has routing issues but great at off road geocaching.

I got my hands on a Tom Tom ONE v3 for Geocaching and it has the ability to input coordinates to find the caches that are one offs. My question is this, is there a way to use it to find multicaches that require projected waypoints?

I have seen the Offroad Navigator Software mentioned, but cant really tell if this software provides this functionality.

Anybody using this combo successfully?

I did search on the forums but nothing really came up that answered this question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--K

Check out this website:

http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/TomTom_custom.html

If you add the itinerary function to your v3, it will be able to guide you to and from waypoints. I don't think that it will give you a path off road, though. For that you'd have to use the "Browse map" screen. That's how I used my v2 on a hunt yesterday. It's a little more difficult than a handheld GPS unit, but it works.

I've got a few questions about the TT One:

1. How's the screen visibility in sunlight? Any problems viewing the screen at any times?

2. Does it automatically recalculate a route if you stray off course?

3. How's their customer service if there's a problem?

Thanks in advance!

1. I've had no issues regarding visibility in sunlight... you can load several color schemes for free, and pick what you like best. Also, it's very easy to switch between day and night mode.

2. Yes, it re-calculates very quickly and accurately. Keep in mind, it wants to keep you on a road, so sometimes when caching close to a road, it wants to jump back and forth a lot.

3. Never had to deal with customer service. I've had the unit for app. 1 year with no major problems. The screen does have a few lines on it when I first boot up after it's been off for a while, especially if the unit is cold. These clear up in a few minutes.

All in all, I think the TomTom One 3rd edition is a fantastic GPS for driving, and getting to the general area of caches. You can easily load caches as POI files with alerts when you approach the proximity of the cache. The issues for caching are that it doesn't have an off road mode, the battery life is too short for a "hiking" cache, and it isn't designed for rugged outdoor use. Great GPS, but a handheld would be nice to supplement for caching.

Hope this helps! --palmerwt--