Asking for a hint

I have tried my hardest and i still can't find a couple caches by my house. The caches are by the same hider and one of them already has a hint, but it is just not helping me. Do you think it is ok to ask for another hint? I have done this two times is the past and both times the hider was more than willing to help, and i put in both e-mails that i would not log as a find since i asked for a hint, but niether time the hider had any problem. So what do you think?

Certainly ask for a hint.

It pretty normal to decypher and use the on-line hint if you have troubles.

A quick e-mail asking for help should always get you an additional hint...at least I do that.

Also, it's normal to log the find once you find it.

After a couple hundred finds, you will get much better at figuring out where the cache might be.

I have been on both sides of this issue. Though it is hard to sometimes to admit the defeat of the hide. But the cache owner may need to know it has been moved or missing. I had one cache that it took 4 visits and a handho;d from cache owner before I found it. I log every DNF and every find.

As an owner I am always willing to help a fellow cacher. It helps me develope my skills for the next cache I place. And as I said above it helps me to monitor the statis of my cache.

Just my 2 pennies added to the economy.

Hmmmm, one of the first caches we looked for is the only DNF we have ever had. I did e-mail the cache owner for a hint, but told him I wouldn't log a find if I found it, but just needed to know if we were in the right place. We certainly looked at the spot he said it was and there have been I think 3 more DNF's since us, so I'm not sure its still there. I would like to go back and look again at the EXACT spot I was told and see if it is really there. But I probably wouldn't post a Found It, since I told the owner I wouldn't, but I would post a note so people don't ignore his cache based on 4 consecutive DNFs (all by newbies). Or, I may post a Found It, so he gets notice, but tell him he is welcome to delete my Found It since I got a clue, that I just wanted him and others to know it was still there. Maybe I'll ride back out there on Sunday.

If you find it, log a find.

Not to change the thread, but the site was developed to help us keep track of the caches we've found.

After a dozen cities and thousands of caches found, I laugh when I re-find a cache because I forgot to log it as a found (which removes it from any future downloads I get).

So if you want it off your active cache lists, log it as a find.

Even if you have to ask for a hint or help from the owner, I think it's ok to log the find. You either found it or you didnt, right? If you feel better saying in the log that it took more than one trip and that you asked for help from the owner, I think that's ok too.

And never feel bad about logging a DNF. What I think might be one of the best caches in San Diego runs about 50% DNFs, and has some of the funniest logs I've ever read. (Wedding crashers)

Maybe it's my old military mindset, but what ever happens, log it, good bad or indifferent. The info is vital to the owner so they can keep track of the 'health' of the cache, useful to others, so they can see what's going on with it, and fun for you later, as a written history of your frustration, fun, and growth caching.

First rule of geocaching: Have fun!*

*I think that includes be safe, because a trip to the emergency room is rarely part of the plan, and rarely fun.

I too WANT people to find my hides, which tend to be difficult.

If it is someone I know, I will Email a hint when they log a DNF, right down to the point of a spoiler sometimes. Like, "The Troll that gaurds the cache was watching you look for it. He said you almost found it, even touching it." If I don't know them, I might ask them if they would like a hint.

And if someone asks for a hint, I am always willing to oblige, of course.

Ask, log your smiley. Be happy!

PP4x4

Certainly ask for a hint.

It pretty normal to decypher and use the on-line hint if you have troubles.

A quick e-mail asking for help should always get you an additional hint...at least I do that.

Also, it's normal to log the find once you find it.

After a couple hundred finds, you will get much better at figuring out where the cache might be.

Exactly! Most hiders want their caches to be found. So there's nothing wrong with asking for a nudge. :)

When you ask for a hint you might consider describing how big of a hint do want. Do you want a big old bone, or maybe just a gentle nudge.

It helps if you describe what you have found and seen, so the cache owner can understand how far along you are and give a better description of what you are looking for.

As a cache owner I love it when I get asked for hints. It makes me feel part of the hunt.