Venture HC Help!

GoaLE

I just got a Venture HC for my birthday last week. I want to use the unit for hunting. However, I would also like to use it for turn by turn directions. What program can I use to meet both of my needs? Can my Venture auto-route?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I've just ordered that unit myself! If you mean turn by turn when driving I don't think it does that. Navigational units and handheld gps's have differant purposes.

Maybe some of the better ones (handhelds) do but I don't see how they would be any better than the nuvi's, even the lower end ones.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

I also purchased a Venture HC. I really like it. It does ALL I need for it to do. I use it for geocaching and mostly hiking out west. Although it is no more accurate than my Magellan Gold, it does pick up sats much faster and holds them better under tree cover. I DON'T need a gps for turn by turn help. My Venture does just fine....

Thank you everyone! With metroguide I can set the route myself though right? Like going along streets?

Yes, you will see your real time location on the map.

I also recently got the Venture HC. It comes with a base map. Is it recommended to add a more detailed map? Which map is better for geocaching, the TOPO US 2008 or the TOPO 24k? How much of the map can be loaded onto the 24MB memory?

I also recently got the Venture HC. It comes with a base map. Is it recommended to add a more detailed map? Which map is better for geocaching, the TOPO US 2008 or the TOPO 24k? How much of the map can be loaded onto the 24MB memory?

--> add a more detailed map?

Yes, if you think you need/want it.

--> Which map is better for geocaching?

When I looked, I thought the 24k maps too limited in their coverage areas. I bought the Topo '08'.

--> How much of the map can be loaded onto the 24MB memory?

I'd say 20K to 22k's worth... Helpful huhh?

I had a Legend C, (lost it) before I got the Topos for my HCx. I followed the threads here for building my own free custom maps. VERY time consuming, and labor intensive. Was never satisfied with the detail level I got from so much time spent. I had the NE quarter of Indiana into the 'C's' internal 24K memory, with room to spare.

The Topo '08' fits almost all of the eastern half of the US into about 1Meg of the Micro SD card, before running out of available map 'segments'. I have NOT tried the 'segment limitation' workaround but, don't think I need to.., just yet.

I really hated losing the 'C', but since I replaced it with the "x"-tended memory, I have not looked back....

Cache On!

GoPhast

snip

The Topo '08' fits almost all of the eastern half of the US into about 1Meg of the Micro SD card...

/snip

Cache On!

GoPhast

I'm suprised no one's called me to the carpet for the ooops above. That 1Meg *_should say_* 1GIG.

:mad:

snip

The Topo '08' fits almost all of the eastern half of the US into about 1Meg of the Micro SD card...

/snip

Cache On!

GoPhast

I'm suprised no one's called me to the carpet for the ooops above. That 1Meg *_should say_* 1GIG.

:rolleyes:

I'll have to be the one to call you to the carpet..... The venture HC doesn't have a card slot. Just the vista and legend

I am also interested in more detailed mapping Just to know the best street to park on etc. Does topo 2008 have decent road coverage or is metroguide better.

Edited by cache_and_dash

Actually I now have to call myself to the carpet. Metroguide is not compatible with the venture HC.

Only topo us 2008

SO How is topo 2008?

I have not used the Metro maps, but it sounds like that is a non-issue with the Venture HC. I don't believe I typed that the Venture had or didn't have a card slot. I KNOW that the Legend HCx DOES have it, that's what I was referring to....

I like the TOPO maps, don't do any routing on the handheld. If I need routing, I'll either pull out the Laptop and use Streets & Trips, or the IPAQ and the Pharos Ostia Maps.

I do like it that *_most_* of the roadways around here are on the TOPO Maps, and that most of those roads are labeled. Not the newer roads and most sudivisions may not even show up at all, but I knew that going in.

The way I look at it, I don't have to unfold paper maps, and it's WAY better than the basemap. The Topology is, really pretty close. A lake, river, or small hill does not change too much over the years. We don't have mountains here, but even still if I see a lot of elevation changes I'll look to see if there is a better way to hike to where I'm headed.

Go here and look for yourself.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topous.jsp#

Click on the link, right side near the top.

Happy trails.

I have an older version of TOPO, but assume that the file size should be similar. I was able to load all of Idaho in my Garmin 60CS which had 64 meg of ram. The roads were the same as on my City Select. It seemed that if there was an error on the road in City Select Version #6 it would also be there in my TOPO. I found the addtional information very useful while geocaching.