Would you buy GPS from Amazon?

I have found a really good deal on a Garmin through Amazon. It's really through a merchant who is through Amazon which makes me a little nervous. It would be the Vista HCx + case for $200. If I do maps and SD card it would be 300 as opposed to the same bundle from Cabelas.com or REI.com for $375.

Just wondering if its a wise choice and worth the savings or if I would kick myself later for not going through a known retailer.

Any thoughts?

Rachel

Most of the third-party resellers on Amazon are rated, so you should be able to pull up customer reviews of them. I have ordered through several resellers via Amazon and never had a problem. Amazon does some nice things, like controlling shipping charges and will remove "bad" resellers, so there is some control versus bobsgps.com or something...

--Bill

I purchased a 60CSX through a merchant through Amazon. It was not purchased FROM Amazon, just through Amazon.

It arrived and 4 of the 8 buttons didn't work. Amazon would offer no help since they were not the merchant.

I ended up protesting the charges on my American Express and had to pay to ship back the unit.

Ultimately, I ended up purchasing it from Gander Mountain. Yes, I paid more, but there was a brick and mortar store (that I could trust) who would stand behind the merchandise.

Just my experience!

I have found a really good deal on a Garmin through Amazon. It's really through a merchant who is through Amazon which makes me a little nervous.

I buy most of my stuff off Amazon (and buy.com) but I usually don't do Amazon resellers because I want the Super Saver shipping.

All my experiences with Amazon directly have been excellent. I did buy from a reseller off Amazon once and I didn't like that experience. Anecdotal rather than stastically-valid evidence, but that's what I have to offer...

Garmin etrex Vista HCx is only $228.88 and if there is a problem when you get it, you can return it to any Walmart store. They got the Legend HCx for $194.49

You can avoid shipping charges if you elect to have it shipped to your local Walmart for pick up.

I've made purchases on amazon through 3rd party sellers without problems but never anything over 30 bucks.

Just so you know, there are some sleazy 3rd party vendors on Amazon, just like everywhere else. If the price is way low compared to other legit sources, expect an upsell / out-of-stock problem (common with the xxND St. Photo type places) or a remanufactured unit.

Also, check their direct web site and see if they offer the same product -- sometimes its cheaper through Amazon, sometimes its cheaper buying direct of their web page.

I have found a really good deal on a Garmin through Amazon. It's really through a merchant who is through Amazon which makes me a little nervous. It would be the Vista HCx + case for $200. If I do maps and SD card it would be 300 as opposed to the same bundle from Cabelas.com or REI.com for $375.

Just wondering if its a wise choice and worth the savings or if I would kick myself later for not going through a known retailer.

Any thoughts?

Rachel

I buy from Amazon all of the time, in fact I just ordered some DVDs and some cables the other day. Amazon guarantees that anyone that sells through them wont shaft a customer.

Vista HCx is $227.99 with free shipping from shipdog.com

Yeah, I know. You haven't heard of them. Neither had I until I was looking for a deal on a GPS. I checked their ratings and they were rated highly. I've purchased 3 units from them and all arrived very quickly. The company was great to deal with. No, this doesn't come with the case.

I purchased a Vista HCx for $235 from Amazon proper (not a reseller) that arrived early last week. When my unit arrived, I quickly noticed that it had a tendency to "freeze up" so that it wouldn't respond to any button presses. After talking to Garmin tech support and trying a firmware upgrade and full reset, the problem persisted. I decided to RMA the unit to Amazon. The online RMA process so far has been about as pain-free as an RMA can be. However, I have not yet received my refund, so we'll see how it goes in the end.

I decided to try another Vista HCx, but I purchased it from REI for $300 so that I don't have to worry about return hassles if there is a problem. The second unit works great so far.

I got my Expedition C from an Amazon vendor, it arrived it it's original from the factory packaging, and has been working fine. I also got a reasonable deal on it, but not anything too good to be true, I bet I saved $30 or so. I've also bought DVD's from Amazon itself with no issues. I've been happy with them so far, and usually check there before I buy anything from the store.