My Geocache story

So, one day i was parked on a side street, and upon returning to my car, i noticed a wee problem with one of my cars tyres, so i naturally went down to its level to inspect it. Next to me was a yellow grit-bin, and something underneath it caught my eye, it was a film-tube. Now normally i'm not the kind of guy to go picking up trash from underneath street-furniture, but for some reason i was drawn to it. I stretched my hand underneath, and recovered it, opened it up, and was suprised to find the cache-note, a (now familiar) log book, and a tiny pencil. I was so intrigued by this, and once home, logged onto the site, created an account and told the owner of the cache that i had found it... i wasn't sure what was going to happen next.... but i noticed next to my username that i now had '1 found'.... and was pretty proud to be the newest member of this secret club.

I then forgot all about it and went about my buisness for the next 5 months without giving it any further thought.

Then, i got an e-mail from geocaching.com saying someone else had found the same cache as me... and i suddenly remembered that cold winters evening.... i logged into the site again and read up on geocaching, and something hooked me and pulled me in.... the secretive aspect of it all is what really appeals, people go about their daily buisness with no idea of this huge treasure hunt taking place all around them...

The other day, i found my first intentional cache, and soon 2 others followed... i then decided to plant my own, and the feeling when i saw that 3 people had found it after one day was superb... i started with a traditional micro cache... but now have bigger plans.

Today i need to travel across 20 miles of rolling countryside to reach a small town, and on my way i plan on finding 7 caches, the weather is superb here and i'm looking forward to my jaunt.

I've also made a big cache, camoglaged it with paints, and filled it with all sorts of trinkets.... going to find a cache-site on my way through the country today.

I'm now hooked, and looking forward to finding and planting many more caches!

Someone with the same feelings as me. I felt so smug to have found this little film can hiding on a bridge that hundreds of people cross every day. Then within days i'd found another, and now i've found 340! And often still get that smug feeling as I walk away, particularly if there are muggles around!

Welcome to the addiction!

Oh dear !!! You will shortly into the excuses to your boss explaining why it took you 2 hours to drive a 10 mile route to your next appointment !!! :D:D:D

Ah, there's a solution to that - take the boss with you. Mine enjoyed it.

I also enjoy the buzz of finding something with lots of people passing by - epitomised for me recently by an ingenious cache on a very busy (large) traffic island in the City of London.

Oh dear !!! You will shortly into the excuses to your boss explaining why it took you 2 hours to drive a 10 mile route to your next appointment !!! :o:D:D

Ah, there's a solution to that - take the boss with you. Mine enjoyed it.

I also enjoy the buzz of finding something with lots of people passing by - epitomised for me recently by an ingenious cache on a very busy (large) traffic island in the City of London.

Our first 'cloak n'dagger' one was this now archived Chester Clock which really made you feel like a spy dead letter box on a busy and sunny afternoon. It was a lipstick container, the first time we'd seen a micro that wasn't a film can!

I think I can beat that one... Today I did a cache in New York.

Crossroads of the World

Where 7th Ave and Broadway cross at Times Square, there's a traffic island about 40 ft long by about 9 foot. There's great raiings with "art" in the shape of faces on them, and hidden behind one of the sets of faces ia a cache... it's fab... not only do you have to sign the log, but you have to unravel a sign inside, which is A3 in size that states "Found It" on it and be photographed holding it up. Don't forget, this was in possibly the busiest place in the world!!!

Oh and Welcome to this MAD hobby... soon you will even be dreaming about caching!

Fabulous!

Edited by HazelS