Pictures with Cache in them?

XopherN71

Depends. If its just a run of the mill container and you take the photo so there are no telltale objects giving away the hiding place, then most cache owners probably won't care.

I've photographed dozens of cache containers, usually with me, or my wife holding them and not one cache owner has objected. As a cache owner I've seen numerous logs with photos of happy cachers gathered around my container. Never bothered me a bit as long as it doesn't give away the hiding place.

If its a carefully camouflaged container, then photographing it is not a good idea.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for the quick response!

The containers were pretty small, and actually hardly noticeable in the pictures with my daughter.

Luckily I did think to move the photo spot to a different area to not give away the location, like you mentioned.

Example:

1c43f066-8991-489c-b793-269ceec2ddd1.jpg

Edited by cnauman

Depends on the hide and the owner. Some cachers perfer that nobody ever posts a picture of thier cache. Some cache containers are a big part of the hide and should not be photographed. Many cache owners are proud to see photos of the area they chose for you to visit.

Ask the owner.

The containers were pretty small, and actually hardly noticeable in the pictures with my daughter.

Luckily I did think to move the photo spot to a different area to not give away the location, like you mentioned.

Example:

As a cache owner, that is precisely the kind of photo I love seeing in logs. I place caches for people to enjoy and seeing smiling faces like your daughter's makes it all worthwhile.

I'd say leave it. If the owner objects he'll either delete your log or ask you to.

Example:

Very nice. Very cute.

Your photo is fine. The rule of thumb is to not post a spoiler that would give away the cache. Pretty simple.

I have had this happen a few times, If it is an older cache I give the person that found the cache 24 hours to remove the photo, if it has not been removed when the 24 hours is up I delete the log. If it is a new cache I send a e-mail telling them to re log the find without the photo after I delete the log.

In one case I had a person post photos of all the stages of a multi the required the gathering of information on several tomb stones to find the cache. This person posted photos of all the tomb stones with all the information needed to find the cache. This person was very upset that I deleted the log with all the spoiler photos, then again this person was student at UC Berkeley at the time so they were living in another universe.