Garmin Colorado is in STORES!

Cape_Gypsy

Price on the unit - R6400? What mapping does that include. Looks like preloaded SD cards to me, or does it come with Garmap? We need a run down on it's accuracy.... GPS Wars here we go again. Does it match up to the Vista HCx and the GPSMap 60 CSx under cover? Down gorges and the like? Keep us informed....

The price is R6400. It comes with the GARMAP African Series 2007 DVD. No SD Card included, but there's enough space to transfer maps to the unit using mapsource. I can't compare to Vista HCx and the GPSMap 60 CSx because i have never owned any of those units. Looking on the net i see that there is a battery performance issue with the colorado. USB cable to connect to pc, no ac adapter. I like the one handed operation capability using the rock 'n roller wheel. the display is very nice with shading capability when drawing mountains. All i can think of at the moment... :)

Find someone with the other two units and maybe try a test with them. Great way to test the units is all head for the same caches following the same route and then comparing accuracy at the cache. Try for heavy cover and gorges. I like the one handed ability of the Colorado but the price, eish!

I get the same on my Etrex Vista HCx although indoors it varies. I have been down to 6 meters. Right now I get between 25-32 meters though. But it is raining and heavily overcast. The WAAS bit involves a set transmitter that the satellite communicates back and forth with to keep an accurate reading of the position of a set co-ordinate on land. I am not aware if the one in South Africa is up yet. I recall it was supposed to be in the Bronkhorstspruit area. So aside from the satellite triangulating your position, it also makes sure that the triangulation of the WAAS tower corresponds to what it should be, therefore it makes the accuracy of your position better. That is why you get the 3 meter accuracy on the GPS. I guess that the WAAS must be functioning in SA as I go back to some far away caches and get spot on each time.

Does anyone know if the WAAS reference point is up in SA. I did training with Avnic back in 2005 and they mentioned it been in the pipeline.

What is the battery life like?

Edited by Wazat

Intersting reading about the Colorado on this thread. I was looking at one recently but the price is way over the top - even here where GPSr's are relatively cheap. As a comparison, the Vista HCx is R2350 and the GPS60 CSx is R3000. The Colorado 300 is R4200, the 400 at R4600 and 400i at R4800. That is a huge difference in price in my book. However I see on the Garmin SA site that the Vista HCx is priced at R5100 and the 60CSx at R6800. It is beyond me why the huge price difference between the Vista HCx and 60CSx in SA!! :)

At R6400 the Colorado doesn't look like such a bad buy in SA, especially against the background that the 60CSx is supposedly "old" technology versus the Vista HCx and the Colorado.. :D On the other hand a Colorado would be almost useless here given the topography of Qatar and the general lack of caches and other uses for the GPSr. Essentially it is used for safety here in that it provides a "way out" of the desert should you lose your way. I certinly don't need to Colorado to give me a 3-D view of the sand dunes! :D

Looking forward to some more comparisons and discussion around the use of the Colorado. All in all it is an interesting piece of equipment, albeit of novelty value for me right now!

Happy caching

cincol

WAAS-like stations in South Africa is not available to our consumer GPS'r. They are for high end paying customers.

Here is a quote from Trignet: " Hi Johan,Currently there are 44 stations within the TrigNet

network of which 34 are realtime stations. These stations

form part of the DGPS network of South Africa. The DGPS network

is base on a network solution and is not a WAAS network. Users

can receive corrections via the Internet by using the NTRIP protocol.

The service is free to all users and if a user can connect to the

Internet he/she can receive the DGPS corrections.If you are interested in receiving these corrections I would suggest

that you contact your receivers vendor in SA to assist you setting you receiver

up to receive the DGPS corrections.Please feel free to contact me if you need more info.Regards Stephan KochControl Industrial TechnicianDirectorate: Survey ServicesT: +27 (0)21 658 4362F: +27 (0)21 658 4357"

as could be found from this link: Link on WAAS.

Bottom line: No WAAS yet, probably ever...

Edited by LeonW

As a comparison, the Vista HCx is R2350 and the GPS60 CSx is R3000. The Colorado 300 is R4200, the 400 at R4600 and 400i at R4800. That is a huge difference in price in my book. However I see on the Garmin SA site that the Vista HCx is priced at R5100 and the 60CSx at R6800. It is beyond me why the huge price difference between the Vista HCx and 60CSx in SA!!

The price difference may be because you are not comparing the same thing. The models sold in SA generally include the South African map set software. I have checked prices in the US in the past which also looked a lot cheaper at first glance, but by the time you add the software to the price there is not a significant difference.

The price difference may be because you are not comparing the same thing. The models sold in SA generally include the South African map set software. I have checked prices in the US in the past which also looked a lot cheaper at first glance, but by the time you add the software to the price there is not a significant difference.

Yep, when I purchased my unit, purchasing it overseas (chepest I could find in the EU: Atlantic basemap)and then still having to buy the SA mapset vs. buying it locally (cheapest I could find), ended up being exactly the same, to the cent in fact.

Edited by GlobalRat

Bottom line: No WAAS yet, probably ever...

:laughing:

Interesting. I usually keep my WAAS/EGNOS disabled. Switched it on today and according to the GPSr it is receiving WAAS correction. The EPE and position remained the same. Typically get an EPE between 2-4m in Gauteng. :lol:

WAAS.jpg

I also get those little 'D' letters in the bars on the satellite screen on my colorado 300? Wonder if that means waas is working?

Wonderlike nuus daardie GlobalRat. :)

I also used to keep my WAAS OFF and after reading your post and that of Cape_Gypsy I switched it ON and I could not stop dancing of joy! WAAS is enabled through that satellite Number 39 - the Inmarsat IOR-W (III-F5)(Indian Ocean Region West) (PRN 126; ID 39) located over the Kongo.

My Estimated Accuracy on the 60CSx is 1 (one) meter!!!!! :) Never thought we will see WAAS in South Africa. I request all Geocachers to go and average their caches coordinates again with WAAS enabled to make it easier for me to find. :)

Thanks again GlobalRat and Cape_Gypsy for spotting that huge announcement for us.

I also get those little 'D' letters in the bars on the satellite screen on my colorado 300? Wonder if that means waas is working?

This is just a guess, but maybe it means that the measurements from those particular satellites have Differential corrections applied to them.

George

I recently received my Colorado 300. I won it in a competition from Garmin.

It's great and everything but I just cannot figure out how to load co ordinates onto it. To load caches from the pc is no problem but I had to give up on multi caches as I don't know how to manually upload co-ords.

Please help.

Bouts.

I recently received my Colorado 300. I won it in a competition from Garmin.

It's great and everything but I just cannot figure out how to load co ordinates onto it. To load caches from the pc is no problem but I had to give up on multi caches as I don't know how to manually upload co-ords.

Please help.

Bouts.

Hallo Bouts.

I've got my Colorado about 2 months ago, and i love it!

The way i work with multi's is to generate a new waypoint, and then edit the coords for the multi. As far as i know you cannot edit a geocache waypoints if you downloaded it as a gpx file.

Hope this helps,

Cheers for now, Willem

This is just a guess, but maybe it means that the measurements from those particular satellites have Differential corrections applied to them.

George

Wow,I always wondered what that little "D" stands for!Thanks for giving at least some good ideas!