I need help with My Explorist 500LE

Max-D

I'm having trouble getting my GPS to communicate with my PC. I've tried removing and re-installing the Explorist software, removing the batteries, a different computer. Nothing seems to be working! It was working before. I was able to get some maps on it but now I can't get any geocache points on it......

HELP!!! I'm ready to throw it out the window!

Thanks

Is your cable on upside down?

Do you hear the USB "ba-dunk" sound when you attach it to the computer?

Are you selecting "file transfer mode" when prompted?

I tried the cable both ways.

The computer recognizes that there is something conected but indicates some kind of error.

The GPS will not go into File Transfer Mode.

Any other ideas?

Breathing air back into this thread. I am having the same problem. I've tried several USB ports on my comp, restarted everything, have the cable running down the unit, etc. I keep getting an error message saying there is no unit detected. I don't have a cradle, and frankly don't want to spend more money on something that may or may not work in the end.

Yeah, the cradle won't be of any help until you can get a connection on its own. You may have a bad cable. Can you try another computer? If still no connection, I'd start suspecting the cable.

You might check the cable to be sure that all the contact points which mate to the GPS are extended. They are spring-loaded, and sometimes one of them can get stuck inside such that it fails to make contact with the GPS.

This GPS is starting to turn into more than I bargained for. I'm getting overly frustrated and I haven't even gone out for my first hunt yet, and I've had my GPS since January! It took weekly phone calls to Magellan to get the battery clip that was missing when I purchased my unit, they sent me several clip (carrying) cases instead. I finally have the ability to turn the unit on, and I decided to go ahead and order a rechargeable battery and car charger and use the AAA's as a backup. Now I'm finding out the USB cable may not work. Can anything else go wrong with this unit? I'd really rather avoid going through magellan for a new cable, I've been dealing with their (lack of) Customer Service for 2 1/2 months now.

Thanks for the tips Embra. I've tried connecting to 2 different computers and different USB ports as well. I also checked the spring loaded connectors and they seem to be fine. I'm surprised a "rugged" piece of equipment comes with such a fragile cable.

This GPS is starting to turn into more than I bargained for. I'm getting overly frustrated and I haven't even gone out for my first hunt yet, and I've had my GPS since January! It took weekly phone calls to Magellan to get the battery clip that was missing when I purchased my unit, they sent me several clip (carrying) cases instead. I finally have the ability to turn the unit on, and I decided to go ahead and order a rechargeable battery and car charger and use the AAA's as a backup. Now I'm finding out the USB cable may not work. Can anything else go wrong with this unit? I'd really rather avoid going through magellan for a new cable, I've been dealing with their (lack of) Customer Service for 2 1/2 months now.

Thanks for the tips Embra. I've tried connecting to 2 different computers and different USB ports as well. I also checked the spring loaded connectors and they seem to be fine. I'm surprised a "rugged" piece of equipment comes with such a fragile cable.

Mine acted up on me a bit recently so I put an sd card in and sent the info to that. There might be another way around for you too. If you can't get the info to the GPS, can't you still send the info to an sd card and then install the card? I just put the card into the GPS and it downloaded right to it there, (I haven't tried to send anything to it since either) but couldn't you buy a card reader or such and use that?

Mine acted up on me a bit recently so I put an sd card in and sent the info to that. There might be another way around for you too. If you can't get the info to the GPS, can't you still send the info to an sd card and then install the card? I just put the card into the GPS and it downloaded right to it there, (I haven't tried to send anything to it since either) but couldn't you buy a card reader or such and use that?

I'm hoping this is the simple solution that I need. I don't mind saving the info to an SD card and using it in my GPS. One less cable going into or out of my computer and cluttering up my desk area.

The only solution is to get a power cord for your gps. Your usb port is got giving enough power to go into file transfer mode. You might had a cord at home you can use to try. Just make sure it is the same power rating or less. It will work.

I have a car charger on order now. When I get it sometime later this week I'll be able to test the charging power of my cable. As of now I'm using AAA batteries till the rechargeable battery and charger arrive.

Thanks for all the advice and tips everyone has given me. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I have had to result to a few phone calls to Magellan and they are going to send me a new Triton 400. I have a feeling that this is an issue with the Explorists 500 (which I have to send back). The Triton has it's own drivers so if it stops communicating you can just re-install. I really hope that the Triton will work so I can at least get out on one cache....... We'll just have to wait and see!

Good-Luck to you!

I have had to result to a few phone calls to Magellan and they are going to send me a new Triton 400. I have a feeling that this is an issue with the Explorists 500 (which I have to send back). The Triton has it's own drivers so if it stops communicating you can just re-install. I really hope that the Triton will work so I can at least get out on one cache....... We'll just have to wait and see!

Good-Luck to you!

Is the exchange in units magellan tech's solution to the problem? I have had the same problem with my 500 and the support team was no help. I'm still under the warranty. Funny thing my daughter has a 210 and with the same cable it works fine. Explaining the situation totally baffled the Mag. support team, they have had me uninstall drives and mapsend programs.