What are "proper" Colorado gpx file parameters from GSAK

I came upon an interesting problem this morning when I generated a gpx file from gsak for the Roseville area. I'm headed there for an event cache this afternoon.

The prior gpx file I generated was to load a poi database into my Nuvi 660. I had the cache description, waypoint name and length modified from the normal GSAK default so that more info would show on the Nuvi. I forgot to revert to defaults before I created the gpx file for Roseville.

I loaded this file to my 400t and the boot seemed normal. When I selected a cache, however, the name, difficulty, etc. info at the heading of the page was blank. When I pressed the right soft key to back out the Colorado would shut off. :unsure: This was a repeatable behavior for any cache in the list (and their names showed up normally on the list).

I was able to recover by deleting all the gpx files from the Colo. internal memory including "current.gpx" and "Position.gpx". Deleting just the Roseville file didn't fix things. I reloaded the gpx files that had been good, since the Colo. doesn't modify these files after it parses them. I created a new Roseville.gpx using the following (what I believe to be default) GSAK settings:

Cache description: %Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter)

Waypoint name: %code Maximum characters: 15

I've changed this switch from the default...

Include GSAK extra fields in report = NO

Sorry for being long winded, but has anyone experimented with description and waypoint name tags that would still work but display a bit more? What is the "proper" GSAK setup to use?

Thanks,

George

Edited by geokitebuggy

It shouldn't matter. The Colorado uses the Groundspeak data (which is not modified by GSAK) for everything except for the "name". Groundspeak's default would be the GSAK "%code". With that there would be no difference to a PQ. The "Description" field is not used by the Colorado as the "real" description os in the Groundpseak part of the data.

Interesting problem. I'll have to look into it more, especially with some of the info you've got here. I had a similar problem -- I generated a gpx file through GSAK for caching today. I was able to access the info you weren't, but when I tried to see the description, my Colorado would either freeze (most of the time) or shut off (just once.)

I've been using the default GSAK gpx export settings on the Colorado without much problem.

If you can characterize the problem a little better -- which cache, which GSAK settings and what exactly to do on the Colorado I can add it to the issues list.

There still seem to be a lot of problems with the CO html/xml parser which cause freezes, power-offs and garbled text.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

If waypoint name is: %Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter) with a length of 36 char. and Cache description is:

%Name by %By (%Dif/%Ter) %Code %typ1%con1 the Colorado will blow up as I described.

So don't do that..... The information is displayed on the Colorado.... without any GSAK intervention.

Note that "Waypoint Name" must be "%code" for the field log feature to work. This is proably your problem as teh unit is expecting a GC code in that field. Long fields probably screw it up. Remember, it is ONLY designed to work with Groundspeak supplied GPX files....

"Cache Description" is not used by the Colorado.

Edited by Red90